Washing up liquid, micro cloths (I know not natural) are in general use for surfaces, even the shower. Anything needing real heavy work, which rarely happens in the house, I use a spray. Purdy and Figg too expensive for me snd Methid supposedly natural has been called into question for the production methods. I to subscribe to why do we need to have sparkling clean abodes?
Gransnet forums
House and home
How to have a sparkling clean home without using harmful cleaning products?
(65 Posts)I was reading somewhere recently that lung cancer is on the rise in women who have never smoked, and one of the theories is harmful chemicals in cleaning products - but how do you get your home clean without using these products?
I’ve tried the whole ‘white vinegar & baking soda’ thing but it doesn’t always work.
Any tips?
This episode of Sliced Bread on R4 was very useful. www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0023x92
There was a professor of home hygiene who knew all about cleaning to prevent the spread of germs. It turns out that most of what we use is completely unecessary/useless. She recommended using washing up liquid and hot water for most cleaning, bleach in moderation on chopping boards, sinks and bathrooms, and anti-bacterial sprays on other surfaces eg kitchen worktops. They have to say that they are antibac on the label, which means that they meet certain standards for killing germs (apparently it is the modern name for disinfectant!). And they need to left for a minimum of 5 minutes to be effective before they are wiped off. She also said that she soaks her dishclothes in bleach solution regularly.
There was also a cleaning 'guru' who was a fan of P&F I think, but for the smell more than anything else.
Personally, I keep a pile of old teatowels etc for drying and polishing off etc. They only get used once and I wash them at 60degrees once I've got a carrier bag full.
BTW I don't think the bunny symbol means anything. Animal testing of cosmetics, household cleaners etc etc has been illegal in the UK for years. But the core ingredients were originally tested on animals....
its a bit like the red tractor symbol, which simply means that the UK minimum legal welfare requirements have been complied with.
.
Purdy & Figg
.
The main thing I am concerned about is the nasty bugs….e.coli, salmonella etc on my kitchen tops and in bathrooms. I’m not convinced that soaps, detergents, vinegars, bicarbonates etc kill these, so what to use?
Maybe the difference is that I grew up with 10 siblings and my parents both worked hard every day. Of course it was chaos but fun and maybe that's why I hate clean and tidy homes.
When I worked with young people with mental health issues in their own homes, it was always the clean and tidy homes that worried me...but, each to their own eh?
MaizieD I think my tidiness and wanting everything clean (disclaimer I do have a cleaner) stems from working whilst having children.
If everything wasn’t neat and clean and in its right place with five children Sunday night and Monday mornings would have been one catastrophe after another, looking for sports kit, homework, correct uniform for correct child depending on age and which school etc.,
The only rooms that I’d didn’t insist on tidiness were when they reached 16, I would leave clean bedding and towels outside their doors, if they didn’t put their washing in the laundry baskets then it didn’t get washed. Our absolute gem of a cleaning lady would only clean their rooms if they were tidied, this worked a treat most of the time.
I have just carried on being organised since retirement, no frantic last minute rushing around if a family member wants to stay unexpectedly.
The GC’s playroom here is often not tidy after the younger ones have been here, but it is definitely clean 😹😹😹
I’m discerning about the products I use and read the ingredients. I find ecover better and also waitrose own brand.
Kandinsky
Thank you GrannyGravy13 - I’d never heard of Percy & Figg but looking at their products now. Completely non toxic which is exactly what I’m looking for.
Thank you!
Purdy and Figg only smell nice, they're not anti bacterial so useless in the kitchen and bathroom. Plus they're over-priced. I bought a glass spray bottle from B&M for 1.99 and buy essential oils a lot cheaper. Same thing.
I have never had and never will have a sparkling clean home.
GrannyGravy13
keepingquiet
Luckygirl3
I have gone for the option of abandoning the idea of a sparklingly clean home - works for me!
Good for you too! What is this obsession with sparkling clean homes? It's insidious and unnatural...
Why wouldn’t you want a sparkling clean and tidy home?
I think that such homes look uncomfortably sterile and not at all welcoming. That's just my opinion. But I think we all have our own levels of 'dirt tolerance' and some can tolerate more than others.
keepingquiet
Luckygirl3
I have gone for the option of abandoning the idea of a sparklingly clean home - works for me!
Good for you too! What is this obsession with sparkling clean homes? It's insidious and unnatural...
Why wouldn’t you want a sparkling clean and tidy home?
I use old fashioned brown soap, but I don't know if it is available in the UK for washing floors and paintwork. I clean windows in hot water with vinegar added.
I stick to these old-fashioned ways, as I am allergic to modern perfumes and other additives to cleaning agents.
Washing soda, dissolved in hot water can also be used for washing down paintwork.
You may find you need to rub a little harder if you avoid modern cleaning agents, but it is perfectly possible to keep your home looking and smelling clean using our grandmothers' methods.
Just don't let it all get too grubby before you start cleaning.
My home is never sparkling clean, good job I don't use harmful chemicals!! It is said that housework never killed anyone but I'm not taking any chances!
Luckygirl3
I have gone for the option of abandoning the idea of a sparklingly clean home - works for me!
Good for you too! What is this obsession with sparkling clean homes? It's insidious and unnatural...
I have gone for the option of abandoning the idea of a sparklingly clean home - works for me!
Ecozone is a British company which produces environmentally friendly cleaning products. I like them very much although my partner doesn't like the washing up liquid.
I also use a damp microfibre cloth for general cleaning which is very effective.
My son suffered from hayfever and allergies to cleaning products so I used to use bicarb and white vinegar a lot for cleaning when he was little and I've never gone back to harsh cleaning products.
Ethical Superstore has a good choice of products such as Method and Ecozone.
You are right karma, Natural certainly doesn’t mean safe. A while ago, trying to avoid nasty chemicals, I bought some ‘natural’ bathroom cleaner. I went and gaily sprayed it liberally round my bath, immediately followed by a vicious fit of coughing. My lungs were burning for ages. A look at the ingredients revealed one as lemon juice. It’s citric acid! OK on a pancake, not in your lungs!
I do a lot of coughing up of phlegm, partly due to acid reflux I know but I am getting seriously concerned about spray cleaners, if you can smell them then they are getting in your lungs. I find that even my cotton face masks don’t help.
It’s difficult to buy wipe on/wipe off stuff.
Useful post Kandinsky, and the replies.
P.s trying to part company with those useful disinfectant wipes too, made with plastics, aren’t they?
Thanks everyone.
And if all else fails I’ll take this advice
I suggest you go out everyday and don't cook anything, or use any appliances or do any laundry 
keepingquiet
Mel1967
I damp dust & just use washing up liquid & hot water for any really dirty/ greasy surfaces
Me too- thankyou!
Also, why do want a sparkling clean home?
I suggest you go out everyday and don't cook anything, or use any appliances or do any laundry...
I would hate to think I was prioritising cleanliness over living...
Me too too.
My mother is forever spraying things in the home - furniture, surfaces and insects. She has a chronic respiratory condition, and even if breathing in all these things hasn't caused it, it certainly can't help.
On the odd occasion I have dared to comment that it can't be good for her, she replies with the usual " I've always done it and it hasn't done me any harm yet".
Well, that is debatable!
I do like a clean home, but only resort to sprays as a last resort, and am perfectly happy with a slightly damp cloth for dusting.
So many cleaning products come in sprays and I have wondered just how unhealthy they are. We used to use Vim and Ajax powders. What happened to them? As usual, the public need to use their influence. By refusing to buy all sprays, we will force manufacturers to go back to creams and liquids. I know that 'wipes' are rather wasteful but they do have their place. I use disinfectant wipes which are then thrown in the bin, so they don't end up polluting the water supply. I also use Milton baby tablets to wipe down the kitchen worktops. They are not as harmful as bleach.
I use washing up liquid for just about everything these days as you use the tiniest amount. I use a lot of bath oils because of my sensitive skin and it’s great for cleaning the bath. I put a tiny amount in the toilet as well. I do tend to use Fairy but need to get some Ecover.
Mel1967
I damp dust & just use washing up liquid & hot water for any really dirty/ greasy surfaces
Me too- thankyou!
Also, why do want a sparkling clean home?
I suggest you go out everyday and don't cook anything, or use any appliances or do any laundry...
I would hate to think I was prioritising cleanliness over living...
I damp dust & just use washing up liquid & hot water for any really dirty/ greasy surfaces
Kandinsky
Yes. I use Method cleaning products, & whilst a lot better than most, they’re not completely ‘non-toxic’
They used to be but no longer.
I had a choking fit when I liberally sprayed Method bathroom cleaner around when I was in a cleaning mood.
It did put me off cleaning.
Makes me feel good for not doing much cleaning.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

