I know how hard it is not to turn things over in your mind when these things happen. These thoughts get their claws into you and won't let go .... it is very unpleasant.
I am not going to tell you to forget it and put it aside as that is hard to do, but it isvworth looking at the other side of the coin.
What is deeply felt by you is just a jokey aside to your DD. She would not be coming to see you at all if she did not enjoy it and love you dearly.
I am sure my family make jokey comments about my litany of ailments but I am also sure they love me.
Send DGD a loving message saying how much you enjoyed the day and are looking forward to doing it again. That way she knows you are not cross about the message and have no ill feeling without you having to bring it up. I am sure you will get a lovely message back.
Gransnet forums
House and home
Just read an upsetting message on my granddaughters phone
(44 Posts)Don’t dwell on it. The texts weren’t very bad. Daughters often think we’re moaning , especially when menopausal .
Put it out if your mind and don’t say a word 🤫.
I feel for you, because it must feel as if you have misread your relationship with dgd up to now. But you really haven't, she is now feeling so bad because she knows you will feel hurt. If it were me, I would take her out again and have a cracking time together. She will be looking for reassurance from you that you still love her just the same. It sounds like a small nod to her mother that she is loyal to her mom, and wouldn't most daughters understand and want that? She just didn't want to look all in with you, and not with her mom, if that makes sense.... Don't worry about it, as it will cloud anything you do together moving forward. She sounds like a sweet sensible girl. Good luck
I think I would draw a line under it and try and forget what you saw. You were having a lovely day together and were happy. I know how you feel though and best don’t overthink it and let it spoil things going forward. They wouldn’t want you to be upset I’m sure so dust yourself down smile and forget about it is my advice.
After ruminating on it during the night I recollected her mentioning when we were perusing the Christmas tree decorations, she might put her little tree up in her bedroom next week, she loves Christmas. I answered with, isn’t it a bit early. She laughed and that was it. I’m wondering if she classed that as moaning. I hope it was that as I’ve turned myself inside out for reasons.
"Having a moan" might mean only a small comment about something like unsolicited telephone marketing, etc. I am sure many of us grumble about these little irritants. My granddaughter and I are very close but she often laughs at my little grumbles. Or the comment might not have even referred to you.
I can understand you being upset but presumably your granddaughter would try to avoid being in your company if she did not love and value you. You say that you spend a lot of time with your granddaughter so that speaks for itself.
Oh dear that is upsetting. Try not to dwell on it. At least dgd didn’t say yes it was awful. Sounds like she was trying to appease mum. What she did say was just a bit and she didn’t mind so obvs she likes being with you.
Oh Deeda I hope all my times with my DGD have not been boring. We have such a laugh and I enjoy her company immensely. I’d hate to think I’ve been deluding myself.
Thank you all. Your rational responses make a lot of sense. My DD is having a bit of a rough time at the moment. She hates her job and has only just had DGDs autism diagnosed after years of waiting, interviews and form filling. But as has been said I can’t unsee what I’ve seen. I would not want to raise it with DD as if DGD was aware I definitely saw it I know it would be very upsetting for her. She doesn’t cope with any kind of stress very well.
I went out for lunch with a friend yesterday and took my nearly 13 year old grandson with me. I warned him that it would probably terribly boring but he sat eating pizza while we talked (and talked) When we got home I asked him if it had been too boring and he gallantly said it was fine. I suspect that what he told his mother would have been a bit different,
I am thinking that often least said, soonest mended and that it might be best to not bring it up unless your DGD does. Just be as loving as always and hopefully this will blow over.
I hope you get some sleep tonight.
I can understand you feeling upset and very uncomfortable about this, obviously those were private messages and I suppose we all might text something privately about a family member that might not be taken the right way if that person were to see it.
However, you have seen these messages and cannot unsee them, is up to you if you feel the need to broach this with your daughter, or if you feel it would just blow up in your face. You know your daughter best.
But for what it’s worth it doesn’t sound too bad, being accused of moaning isn’t nice but it isn’t awful, and am pretty sure your DGD did enjoy her time with you that day.
I wish you well with this.
I can understand why this has felt hurtful.
But ....... your relationship with your DGD is precious to both of you and I am sure that has not changed. Up to the point when you looked at the phone things were just fine.
It sounds as though your DGD is dealing with a menopausal Mum at home and saying whatever keeps the peace.
Please don't be sad - you are an important person in your DGD's life. You know that really.
Sorry for the typo
What's best for you to cope with.
So, what to do? Depends on est for you to cope with.
Say you were puzzled by the comments?
Ask was there something you misunderstood?
Since you do have a long established good relationship, it will resolve, most likely.
I wish I hadn’t seen it. I feel the dynamics of our relationship ship are not what I thought they were. At no time during the day was there anything to moan about. It was just two people having a good time and enjoying each others company. I can’t stop thinking about it and will feel strange in their company in future. Don’t think I’ll get much sleep tonight.
No you're not over reacting . It was a hurtful thing to say . They obviously didn't mean for you to see it
She could have just been agreeing with her mum to keep the peace at home
I have spent a lovely day with my DGD (16) while she’s on half term. We have always been close as I looked after her from 6 months old 3 days a week until she went to school. I would mention also she is high functioning autistic and has ADHD. She mentioned in conversation that her mum (my DD) had got some information from Ancestry about our family and a photo of my dad in his army uniform. I said I’d like to see it so she texted her mum to send it over onto her phone. When it came she showed me the photo but her previous texts to and from her mum were visible also. Mum asked if she’s had a good day and DGD replied yes she had. Mum said was she having a moan and DGD said, a bit but I didn’t mind. I think when I gave her the phone back she realised I’d seen her texts because she went very quiet and decided she was going home. I’m absolutely mortified and upset. We had a lovely day at a garden centre with Christmas decorations etc and had lunch. I’m not a moaner and can’t understand why this was said. My daughter is menopausal and is quite moody and DGD often remarks how she goes on about issues on TV etc so I am dumbfounded that I should be labelled a moaner. I thought we had a loving and close relationship but this has really knocked me for six. Am I over reacting.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

