Gransnet forums

House and home

Non plastic chopping boards

(57 Posts)
Flaxseed Fri 07-Aug-26 06:43:38

What’s everyone using instead of plastic chopping boards? Preferably dishwasher safe please?!
Obviously there are loads to choose on Amazon, but I would prefer recommendations please wink

JackyB Mon 10-Aug-26 13:56:40

I do have some plastic ones which you can bend so that the peelings go into the bin and not all over the floor, or the chopped veg egg lands in the pan or pot and not all over the hob.

25Avalon Mon 10-Aug-26 08:36:15

Interesting thought. They are colour coded plastic ones in catering depending on what you are cutting on them. This is required as part of food hygiene regulations. How do you colour coded metal or wood?

JenniRen Sun 09-Aug-26 22:46:31

We have a wooden one for meat, a bamboo one for veg, a separate one for bread etc. Plus a couple of others which are used for vatious items but not meat.

NotSpaghetti Sun 09-Aug-26 18:49:42

Flaxseed

Seems the general consensus is wood!
I do have a wooden one but have never liked cutting meat on it.
Maybe I need to re think this!
Thanks everyone

Could you choose a different one for only meat if you feel funny about it?

Catterygirl Sat 08-Aug-26 23:31:20

Mine is wooden from Sainsburys. Must be about 40 years old. Still going strong. Use bleach, lemon. All kinds of things really.

Fallingstar Sat 08-Aug-26 23:20:25

I have a lovely chunky wooden chopping board, didn’t know it is the best kind of board to have, have had it ages and just give it a scrub after use. I just love wooden products, have wooden counter tops too.

Ziplok Sat 08-Aug-26 23:10:45

I’ve got plastic ones and wooden ones. I put the plastic ones in the dishwasher and give the wooden ones a good scrub. Been using both for years, and, touchwood, I’m still here 🤣.

I suppose, thinking about it, butchers blocks are wooden, and get used daily and are probably get scrubbed down regularly, so I guess wooden ones are really the best.

Flaxseed Sat 08-Aug-26 18:55:07

Seems the general consensus is wood!
I do have a wooden one but have never liked cutting meat on it.
Maybe I need to re think this!
Thanks everyone

Coops74 Sat 08-Aug-26 16:46:33

I use wooden ones and clean with soap and water once a week use salt and lemon juice and rinse with hot water.

Kateykrunch Sat 08-Aug-26 16:28:15

I just use a Dinner Plate or Tea Plate to peel, chop or slice anything, so its just another plate to wash, easy peasy, but then I am more of a pierce and ping sort of ‘cook’.

Gwyllt Sat 08-Aug-26 15:23:38

How on earth have many of us survived all these years using wooden chopping boards I have watched my local butcher scrubbing down with salt He even has sawdust on the floor in his back room

Astitchintime Sat 08-Aug-26 13:25:09

I use the toughened glass ones and have a selection of various sizes. They don’t scratch, don’t hold bacteria and never get a strong odour ingrained into them like wood and plastic. Personally, I wouldn’t have anything else in the house now and if I see friends using alternatives I simply avoid eating what they’ve prepared. Might be a bit OTT but I have a choice

NotSpaghetti Sat 08-Aug-26 13:15:00

I've just spent a half an hour looking at this.
The wooden ones (especially those which are cut so that the wood fibers are upwards rather than across) are "best of both worlds".

I have read too many papers now but the other good option is genuine rubber.

The stainless, granite etc are bad for knives and then we ingest that apparently.

Plastic types are the worst in terms of what we eat and harbouring bacteria

JenniferEccles Sat 08-Aug-26 12:39:32

I have always understood that wooden ones were best.
Plastic ones never appealed, but then I’ve had my wooden one for over forty years and it’s still going strong!

25Avalon Sat 08-Aug-26 10:16:00

Interesting article in DM on cutting boards today. Using plastic boards the average person swallows up to 50g of microplastics p.a. Wooden and bamboo boards are porous and hold bacteria such as e coli. Also bamboo is glued together with adhesives containing such niceties as formaldehyde. The drawbacks of glass are they damage knives, are slippery and noisy. So what’s the answer? So ok this was an advertorial article but seemed to be scientifically backed. The answer is apparently titanium metal board which actually sharpens knives. It is used in medical implants so should be safe for humans. Obvs the article recommends one particular make but do have a read of the article in today’s DM. I’m sorry I can’t post it but of course I read it following this posting.

Grantanow Fri 07-Aug-26 23:22:18

Wood. I wash it regularly. Never had a problem. Ndver used plastic etc.

MT62 Fri 07-Aug-26 23:05:40

Witzend

Like a pp, I hate the sound and feel of a knife on a glass board, and IMO a stainless steel one would be different, but just as bad.

Glass blunts your knives. Don’t know about steel.

MT62 Fri 07-Aug-26 23:04:30

I have a couple made from olive wood from tkmax for my bread.
Still use plastic colour coded ones for meat, fish & veg.

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-Aug-26 21:38:06

I'm another with only wood.
I scrub after each use.
Two boards are inherited - and one I know has been in daily use for 70 years. It's got a dent in the centre now on one side so generally I chop on the other!

Witzend Fri 07-Aug-26 21:02:26

Like a pp, I hate the sound and feel of a knife on a glass board, and IMO a stainless steel one would be different, but just as bad.

valdali Fri 07-Aug-26 20:55:48

I have a wooden butchers block & 3 smaller wooden chopping boards.
I don't put them in the dishwasher, but my knives definitely stay sharper, longer than when I used a glass one.

Gwyllt Fri 07-Aug-26 17:55:15

My wooden chopping board must be forty years old Son bought it for me. It replaced my Nana”s old one

FindingNemo15 Fri 07-Aug-26 16:11:04

I think the one I use is made of melamine, but they do not seem to sell them now. Cleaned after every use.

Squiffy Fri 07-Aug-26 16:09:39

You’re welcome, Petra. Mother Nature/Mother Earth ‘products’ often offer safer options!

petra Fri 07-Aug-26 15:45:52

Squiffy
Thank you for that. There’s only one explanation: nature knows best.