Gransnet forums

House and home

Air Conditioning units ,any advice please?

(37 Posts)
avitorl Mon 10-Aug-26 20:44:27

I have found the heat unbearable this summer and I'm
I'm trying to get Quotes to have a unit fitted in my bedroom and possibly my living room. Hitachi, Toshiba and Mitsubishi seem to be the units mainly used in the UK.Does anyone have any experience of any of these in their home?
It seems they are mostly on a waiting list to be supplied because of high demand and I've been informed Toshiba are currently not taking any more orders!

avitorl Sun 23-Aug-26 14:16:44

I'm still waiting for Quotes to come in but I will definitely have air conditioning fitted before next year.
I had a very frightening experience in July when I collapsed in my town centre because of the intense heat.I know I'm not coping well with the heat levels we are experiencing and believe they are likely to be repeated in the future.
The very positive outcome of my public collapse was how kind and helpful strangers were to me until the ambulance arrived and took over from them.

Grantanow Sun 23-Aug-26 09:32:15

We've just bought a mobile AC for next year's heatwaves. We had one when we lived in France and it was a godsend when the temperature reached 40C

Cossy Mon 17-Aug-26 11:23:49

“monami

Sun lasted three days central heating came on this morning, stop believing the nanny state”

I can only assume from your rather odd comment, that you think our govt (and that in all of Europe, Australia, Canada etc) are over-reacting and that you do not believe in climate change.

So, just to give you a little clarity:-

We’ve had zero rain where I live in the South-East and the reservoir serving us is now at low capacity. Just a few short weeks ago it was at 80%.

We have a hosepipe ban and on and off across at least the last 6 weeks we have had temperatures exceeding 32c, that’s almost 90f. Much hotter in the last few summers here in the UK.

I have friends and family in Spain, South of France and Canada, they have all had weather warnings and are all at red alert. There have been devastating fires destroying properties, trees, fauna and flora.

Since mid July 300,000 people in Spain, France and Portugal have been forced to evacuate and a couple local to us here in Essex were caught up in the fires, she died, he has 40 degree burns.

The temperature in these countries is averaging at 40c, 104f. This weather is a danger to human and animal life, a danger to food production and is causing raging rapidly spreading fires.

I’m not really sure what planet you’re currently inhabiting? But pretty sure it’s a different one to most of us.

Narnia Mon 17-Aug-26 11:02:41

How do the portable ones work cost wise?
I know my hairdresser has one in the salon but says her electricity bill has increased x5!!

stillawipp Mon 17-Aug-26 10:46:12

We have two Mitsubishi wall units - one in our bedroom & one in an orangery, & they are utterly brilliant….so many friends have asked for the fitter’s details 🤣

Schumee Mon 17-Aug-26 09:24:38

Which company did you use

cc Mon 17-Aug-26 08:56:17

monami

Sun lasted three days central heating came on this morning, stop believing the nanny state

This is just ridiculous, we're had weeks of heatwave in the South East and even fit adults find it exhausting, let alone those who are either older or less well.

cc Mon 17-Aug-26 08:55:10

They're both DeLongi and we've had them more than three years - there are Which.com reports on portable air conditioners and these were recommended when we bought them.

cc Mon 17-Aug-26 08:53:22

Liz13

We have portable units, and have had for the last 15 years. They are far cheaper and up to this summer we've only needed them for a couple of times a year.

We have two portable units too. Obviously they're not as effective as fitted units, but they're enough for us during the six weeks or so that we need them. We live in a flat and the outside unit would be obtrusive on our balcony which is effectively our small garden.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 17-Aug-26 08:13:43

monami, what do you mean by " stop believing the nanny state", please?

monami Sun 16-Aug-26 23:04:03

Sun lasted three days central heating came on this morning, stop believing the nanny state

StoneofDestiny Sun 16-Aug-26 22:11:23

Yes - brings the room temperature down quickly. Not too heavy, on wheels and quiet.
Do research on what type of window fitting you need. Ours came with a kit, but we don't have the ideal windows, so the pipe that goes out the windows isn't the prettiest of fitting for us, as our room has patio doors.
Sash windows are the easiest as you can get a Perspex sheet made to measure and pop your vent pipe out through that.

MT62 Sun 16-Aug-26 21:56:42

Are those any good stoneofdestiny?
I like Meco, have several projects of theirs.

StoneofDestiny Sun 16-Aug-26 21:46:52

We use a portable Meaco unit. Perfect for the few weeks a year we will need it each year. Thinking of getting another for another room.

Juneandarchie1 Sun 16-Aug-26 20:57:01

I had Mitsubishi a/c fitted in my kitchen/conservatory earlier on this year.
I’m so glad I did, it’s great and I can now use the conservatory all year round. It also heats the room too if needed. You can direct the fan to suit yourself.
I’m seriously considering have another one fitted in my bedroom now, but will wait until the new year now.

RillaofIngleside Sun 16-Aug-26 20:27:44

We can alter the direction of our Aircon fans so it is not directed on us in bed . And there is no outside noise.

mimismo Sun 16-Aug-26 20:01:22

AC tends to be really direct. I wouldn't have it in my bedroom. We have ceiling fans in bedrooms and living room and we're very happy with them. I'd recommend white arms, not dark.

GlammakAz59 Sun 16-Aug-26 19:20:44

Had 2 units fitted in our park home where we live. They are mitsubishi brand , we couldn't do without them during the heatwave and our solar panels provide the electricity so costs nothing to run. also heat in the winter if needed.

mlhed43 Sun 16-Aug-26 19:03:43

Real aircons are very nice if you enjoy a big budget spend, but when the temp goes up, the power companies struggle to keep up with the drain on the grid. (as in the States these days, where A/c's are much more common). The UK's grid is under serious pressure already so it might be worthwhile considering an evaporative cooling fan instead, using a small fraction of the power and costing less than a twentieth of a real A/C, plus there's no installation and you can put it away when the weather cools off. They're also readily available online and in the shops with no waiting list.
www.amazon.co.uk/s?ref=nb_sb_ss_mvt-t11-ranker_1_23&crid=69FTSGULXEXF&sprefix=evaporative+cooling+fan%2Caps%2C146&k=evaporative+cooling+fan&tag=gransnetforum-21

knspol Sun 16-Aug-26 17:59:41

Grannybags

We had Toshiba fitted about 4 years ago. Obviously no use to you if they aren't taking any more orders.

I just wanted to say if you have the inside unit fitted on an outside wall you don't need any piping to take away the excess condensation as the outside unit can be fitted directly to it. If that makes sense!

I have just been quoted for one unit in bedroom, it would be fitted on an outside wall but would involve having trunking going down the outside front of the house down to the base unit. It would be an absolute eyesore so am having to have a rethink. No mention was made of a method without any trunking, maybe I need to contact another company.

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 16-Aug-26 17:45:57

Please, if you have neighbours, investigate the noise level, and think where to site it if it is outside.

chicken Sun 16-Aug-26 17:30:44

We have three Daikon units, very quiet and efficient and apparently can be used for central heating in winter, cheaper to run than air source heat pump. At night there is a setting that is whisper quiet. My son in Australia says Daikin is the most used brand.

JamesandJon33 Sun 16-Aug-26 17:16:20

We have a large conservatory…boiling in the summer, freezing in the winter. Our aircon cost £3000 and we now have complete comfort, summer and winter. It is marvellous

4allweknow Sun 16-Aug-26 16:27:50

Have had Mitsubishi for 12 years. Have them serviced annually and never any bother. Two downstairs are inverter units - really handy being able to boost heat in a couple of areas in winter.

RillaofIngleside Sun 16-Aug-26 15:04:30

We had Mitsubishi units installed professionally in our living room and bedroom. They are quiet and effective, and about 4x cheaper to run than the portable unit in my husband's study. We have used them all summer. We sleep well with them on. I think they are the best investment we have made to our house.