Gransnet forums

House and home

Milk going off quickly

(34 Posts)
Sueinkent Tue 11-Aug-26 15:34:20

Just lately, milk seems to be going off before the use by date. I know it’s not my fridge. Anyone else finding this? I wondered if the weather is affecting how it is being transported or even if it is on the farm. I know cows are not producing the usual amount due to heat stress.

MayBee70 Sun 23-Aug-26 14:07:22

HeavenLeigh

Funny you should say that I’ve just thrown half pint away only 10 mins ago the milkman delivered it only 3 nights ago that’s pretty quick to have to throw me thinks

The milk I get from the milkman goes off much quicker that the supermarket ones.

Greyduster Sun 23-Aug-26 12:52:41

I had this problem recently - threw three litres away in all - and DD said stop storing it in the fridge door and store it in the body of the fridge towards the back. I did and have had no problems since.

62Granny Sun 23-Aug-26 12:44:37

I normally buy BoB milk always lasts never had problems , but the other I bought a litre of Tesco Semi skimmed, to tide us over till my shopping was delivered it turned although it was still in date, it had not been used any different to normal , cereal & tea and not left out of the fridge for any period of time even the weather has been cooler this last few days.

nanna8 Sun 23-Aug-26 12:37:16

I wonder how they store it before it gets to the shop because it shouldn’t go off that quickly. Ours usually lasts over a week unless it hasn’t been refrigerated properly.

Georgesgran Sun 23-Aug-26 12:31:31

There’s one couple on my development who still get milk delivered. I’m late to bed and often see it left on their doorstep before 2am - in this weather, I’d be surprised if it lasted 2days, especially with sunrise at 4am and the bottles not taken in until gone 8.

HeavenLeigh Sun 23-Aug-26 12:23:10

Funny you should say that I’ve just thrown half pint away only 10 mins ago the milkman delivered it only 3 nights ago that’s pretty quick to have to throw me thinks

Georgesgran Tue 11-Aug-26 19:45:00

I get my filtered whole milk from Tesco or Aldi and it’s always been fine, but I get it straight home and into the fridge as soon as I can after purchase.

cc Tue 11-Aug-26 19:24:57

Has anyone else found that eggs haven't been as good as usual recently? I've switched to a slightly more expensive brand (on special offer, of course!) and find that the whites hold together better when I poach them.

cc Tue 11-Aug-26 19:21:54

BoggledMind

We buy filtered milk and it rarely goes off, though we do go through it fairly quickly. Even so, it will last a few days (4+) once opened.

I buy this filtered milk too, and find that it lasts for ages. I used to get milk from the milkman but I think that it spends too long unchilled whilst they're delivering it and it was sometimes barely cold by the time I could take it inside.
As an aside, I keep my bread in the bottom salad drawer of my fancy German fridge which is only just above freezing and is humidified. It does get slightly firmer, but since we toast it anyway this doesn't matter to me.

Farmor15 Tue 11-Aug-26 19:07:52

Haven't seen filtered milk where I live, but I think the filtration removes the bacteria I mentioned in my previous piat

Visgir1 Tue 11-Aug-26 19:00:59

BlueBelle

But Visgirl very few milkmen around, certainly none here, nor any farm shops unless you have a car and can get out of town into the country
What’s filtered milk?

Have you investigated " Milk and More"? I thought they were all over the UK, but I could be wrong.

Elegran Tue 11-Aug-26 18:41:36

I never have any trouble with milk going off, up until 10 or 14 days after delivery. It is delivered to the door twice a week, at some unearthly hour in the middle of the night. It could be standing out there for eight hours or more before I bring it in. I have a small cold box with an ice block. I put this outside when I go to bed. The block is still frozen at 8 or 8.30 am, but goes back in the freezer until the next delivery day.

rafichagran Tue 11-Aug-26 17:44:45

I have had no trouble either. I get mine from Saunsburys

Aldom Tue 11-Aug-26 17:41:20

That's a good idea Greenfinch .

Hope you're ok. 💐

MayBee70 Tue 11-Aug-26 17:39:39

The milk I get from my milkman goes off very quickly but supermarket milk lasts for ages.

Gingster Tue 11-Aug-26 17:28:18

I’ve been buying Cravendale after throwing other milk away. The weather must be affecting it even though it’s in the fridge

BlueBelle Tue 11-Aug-26 17:28:08

But Visgirl very few milkmen around, certainly none here, nor any farm shops unless you have a car and can get out of town into the country
What’s filtered milk?

Esmay Tue 11-Aug-26 17:23:32

I had to change my milk to Cravendale because every other brand that I tried went off quickly .

BoggledMind Tue 11-Aug-26 17:17:25

We buy filtered milk and it rarely goes off, though we do go through it fairly quickly. Even so, it will last a few days (4+) once opened.

Jaxjacky Tue 11-Aug-26 17:04:24

We get through 4ltr per week and it’s been fine as usual, s/s.

Sarnia Tue 11-Aug-26 17:03:54

I have found the spreadable butter quite soft despite being kept in the fridge. At least it doesn't make holes in fresh bread like firmer butter does. Every cloud.............

Astitchintime Tue 11-Aug-26 17:01:28

We have the filtered milk which seems to be ok. As for bread, we buy a large I’m-store bakery loaf and I split it into smaller batches - 5 or 6 slices - bag it and freeze it and we have fresh bread every day.

Visgir1 Tue 11-Aug-26 16:53:44

Nope mine is from the Milkman... Lasts ages.

Deedaa Tue 11-Aug-26 16:50:18

My milk usually comes from Aldi or Waitrose and I've had no trouble, but a couple of times my son has bought a bottle on his way home (both from the same dairy) and they've gone off two or three days before the use by date. I presume they've had problems with the chill chain.

Farmor15 Tue 11-Aug-26 16:42:43

When the weather is very dry, there is more dust in air, which can get in milk. The dust has spores of bacteria that survive pasteurisation and end up spoiling the milk. I sometimes freeze milk in small amounts - at least I have some if the stuff in the fridge has gone off.