Gransnet forums

House and home

Shower wall panels

(42 Posts)
FlipFlop00 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:24:28

Has any one used/got these on their bathroom walls instead of tiles (i.e mermaid/multipanel/shower wall etc.) If you have are they any good and would you recommend them, we are about to change our bathroom and have a shower cubicle installed.

Welshwife Fri 24-Feb-17 21:41:10

If it is a shower cubicle constructed from panels you fit together I believe some can be very difficult to put in and they can leak in the joints. The one our friend has has a rounded corner. This is probably not the case if it is panels which go against the wall and click together.

rubysong Fri 24-Feb-17 23:45:08

We had shower wall when we had a bathroom redone last year and so far it has been fine. I didn't want tiles as the grout always discolours and this is easy to keep clean. A builder fitted it and used all the proper sealant etc.

chelseababy Sat 25-Feb-17 06:41:57

My brother has it and says much easier to clean.

grannypiper Sat 25-Feb-17 11:11:19

My DH had his bathroom done using these selkie panels 2 years ago, so far there has been no problems. Only draw back is if you choose the gloss panels they show ever single mark and need polishing ever week. I have chosen a matt finish marble effect in the hope that they will not show marks as much. It is fine here in Scotland as the water is great, i used to live in Southern England where the limescale was awful and i certainly wouldn't have used them if i was still living there. But at least there is no yucky grout

Ceesnan Sat 25-Feb-17 11:26:40

DH used panels for all the bathroom walls last year and it still looks like new. Very easy to fit and to minimise the risk of water getting in the joins he ran a fine line of silicone down the sides of each one. There were enough left over for him to make a panel for the end and side of the bath too, and it looks so professional. I'm really pleased with it.

jackdawson Sat 25-Feb-17 11:47:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Elegran Sat 25-Feb-17 12:37:10

Advertising. He is spamming on other threads too.

merlotgran Sat 25-Feb-17 12:43:02

We fitted them inside a quadrant shower cubicle two years ago. Bought them off e-Bay. Absolutely brilliant. Very easy to clean - just a quick wipe with an e-cloth.

I wouldn't want to go back to tiles again.

FlipFlop00 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:09:22

Thank you for the replies, I will definitely be using these now, I hated trying to clean the grout in-between the tiles in the shower area. Grannypiper/Ceesnan if you don't mind me asking what colour/design did you use for all the bathroom? I am looking at doing 3 walls one colour/design and 1 wall a contrast design/colour.

grannypiper Sat 25-Feb-17 17:06:11

FlipFlop i have gone for a light cream as it means i can change the towel colour without it looking awful.

NotTooOld Sat 25-Feb-17 17:42:06

Interesting thread for me. We are waiting for Wickes to come and do our en-suite and they recommended these wall panels. We've chosen a pale creamy marble one, similar to the counter tops, for the same reason as grannypiper - I can change the colour of the towels when I feel like it. Good to hear that so many of you give the panels a good report.

Marian1412 Thu 23-Mar-17 13:56:25

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the floor of a walk in shower please?
I have seen a short mop with a pivotal head made by Oxo Good Grips but don't know if it's any use.

Jayanna9040 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:06:18

Wouldn't have anything else but panels now. I went for a cream/ white marbling look right through. It doesn't show the limescale?

Milind Wed 16-May-18 11:51:37

Milind Wed 16-May-18 11:55:02

Willow500 Wed 16-May-18 13:03:53

We've just had our shower done with wall panels and I'm very pleased with it. The tiles have been a problem since day one and eventually started to leak down the inside of the wall into the toilet light switch below shock. The panels are black with shiny glittery bits in which shine different colours in the light which I love. We will definitely have them again.

annodomini Wed 16-May-18 13:17:43

I'm grateful to the posters on this thread. I need to refurbish my bathroom with the inclusion of a walk-in shower and have now decided that panels will be the answer rather than tiles.

Alejandro121 Sun 17-Jun-18 03:33:39

kejsistafa Fri 29-Jun-18 12:24:44

SrijanGods Tue 02-Oct-18 12:25:35

adamparker Thu 04-Oct-18 20:25:13

Flossieturner Fri 05-Oct-18 08:32:34

I had these installed in my shower 20 years ago. They cover two walls of the shower and are brilliant. I have never seen anyone else have these and I do not know why. They have never leaked, are so easy to clean and look like new.

BurnMihailov Sat 20-Oct-18 08:09:12

Jane43 Sat 27-Oct-18 13:26:43

They are used a lot in America and I would love to replace our en-suite tiles with them. As rubysong says the grout does get discoloured. We inherited floor tiles with white grout in our en-suite and they are very difficult to keep clean. At first the grout was yellow and I had to go over it with bleach to bring the white colour back. I think the grou used was probably porous and needs replacing with grout more suitable for a bathroom floor. Something else on our list of things to do.