Gransnet forums

House and home

How long?

(18 Posts)
Marieeliz Sun 27-Sep-20 11:19:58

I m in the process of selling. It started July. Had a sale and just about to sign and buyer pulled out. Got another buyer same day. She wants to move quickly all my paperwork is complete. The property I am buying is empty. My buyer has bought Survey and searches of aborted sale. Now my conveyancer has gone on leave till 5 Oct. Buyer conveyancer on line they keep telling mine they have not had time to read documents. Buyer is ringing them tomorrow to chase them up. Worried my property may be put back on market. Has anyone experience of how much longer this will take. I have only been here s year and hate it. Am moving back from whence I came. Can't wait.

Whiff Sun 27-Sep-20 11:31:53

Marieeliz sorry this has happened to you. I had 2 buyers pull out on me at the last minute. If you read stress of buying and selling part 7 you will find you are not on your own. There is help and advice in spades on there.

Whiff Sun 27-Sep-20 11:33:21

Second thread below yours

MerylStreep Sun 27-Sep-20 11:47:02

Marieeliz
You started the process in July. It looks as if it will be completed in 3 months. That's the 'usual' length of time.
They have to justify their fees ?
My last sale, 6 years ago couldn't have been simpler, he was a cash buyer ( and it was cash) we were buying cash for our property. But they all strung it out for 3 months.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:51:32

The stress we had selling our last house - the sale went on for ages, until we found out our buyer wanted to extend our house and was waiting for planning permission before completing!! Why two people would want a bigger house than 4 bedrooms and three reception beats me, but each to his own. Completion took 6 months, ouch!!

Franbern Mon 28-Sep-20 08:42:03

Marieeliz - you have my sympathy. If you read (as Whiff suggests_ through the House buying Stress thread- which is now on No. 7 you will see how many of us have been through what you are going through.

I had a buyer pull out - for no good reason, whilst I was actually having a quote from a removal agent in the house.

However, the dates you give - Oct 7th is actually only a couple of weeks away - no way is the property you are buying going to sell to anyone else in that time frame. Will seem forever for you at present, but think you should be able seriously to contemplate completion next month.

As you have seem to have managed this all in three months - Congratulations - that is a short period, these days for this process. The whole Sale and Purchase system (if you can compliment it with that word) is so fraught and unreasonable and damaged that it seems designed to cause us to have nervous breakdowns en route.

I am certain things will go well for you. Keep nagging at conveyancers, etc. Do not relax on this. Good Luck. The only thing is that once you are in your new home, most of the panic and stress recedes quickly into the past.

Keep us all informed.

Teetime Mon 28-Sep-20 09:10:27

marieeliz you have my sympathy we have been going through this process for a year although our latest buyer has only juts come on stream in the last few weeks. we are told there is a 7 week delay on local authority searches? why and that mortgage surveys are equally delayed I am hoping this process will be like the pain of childbirth once we have moved - quickly forgotten although its bloody painful at the moment.

honeyrose Mon 28-Sep-20 09:34:49

We last moved house 5 years ago today. Love where we now living - we moved about 10 miles away from city to county. The whole process was so frustrating and exasperating though - I could have screamed at the estate agents and solicitors and I’m normally a calm and patient person! Best wishes to anyone moving house - it can be extremely stressful, but hopefully worth it in the end.

Ellianne Mon 28-Sep-20 09:50:34

Hang in there. You're on track, just be ready to jump up and down on 5th October to expedite things.

Sarnia Mon 28-Sep-20 09:56:07

I moved a year ago. The paperwork takes forever. I suppose they drag their heels so they feel justified in sending you a whopping great bill for what amounts to very little.

JuliaM Mon 28-Sep-20 10:38:10

My daughter moved home last year and was stuck within a chain of 5 buyers. She had sold her previous property to a young couple, but the old couple who were moving out of the house she wanted to buy were looking for a Bungalow, but had all kinds of problems with finances and adoptions they needed doing before moving in that the seller got tired of them and withdrew from the sale in favour of another buyer. Old couple then had to buy another suitable property, and went for a new apartment, but because it was the show house, there would be a further delay until the final two properties on site had been sold, and all site work completed. This went on for over 18months, and Covid lockdown in March delayed it further as all building site work stopped. My Daughter finally moved home in late July, and has now said shes no wish to ever move house again, choosing to upgrade and refurbish the house she bought instead, which the couple had not touched maintaining since they bought it new in the early 1980s!

Marieeliz Mon 28-Sep-20 12:06:09

Thank you. All my buyer's were cash buyers. My new buyer has a purchaser who has s mortgage and no house to sell.
I moved from the village I had lived in since a child last July to a bungalow. I am moving back to a 2 bed mid semi which is empty and done up. Just want to be back home. Young man had it and did work then got a job abroad. Never thought I would hate a bungalow so much. Thanks hope I will have a date soon. I have a younger friend helping me move as I have no close family.

Marieeliz Thu 08-Oct-20 13:12:11

Have given my buyer s window if when I need to move. 15th/22nd. This is when .my friends husband is on leave. Her Conveyancer has said she will consult with buyer. Fingers crossed.

Franbern Fri 09-Oct-20 18:09:37

Good Luck Marieeliz - keep pushing your date(s). I only gave one and nagged and nagged everyone, Solicitors, Estate Agents, until it became accepted. I needed that date as I wanted packing on the Monday, the move (completion date) on the Tuesday, so I could have help for the following three day when I moved and it had to be that week (half term).

Davidhs Fri 09-Oct-20 21:53:06

Solicitors and estate agents are the laziest and most entitled people I know, they blame each other constantly, just keep pushing from day one.

Franbern Sat 10-Oct-20 09:16:01

I would say that I had the most amazing lady in my Estate Agents, who worked extremely hard for me,. I do hope that she received a good commission when my sale did go through. It would not have done so without her.
On the other hand - my solicitors - a large company - were not at all helpful and I had to keep pushing them and, even doing some of their job for them.
Even on completion day it was my EA who phoned me to keep me informed as to how the monies were going through in my small chain and let me know when keys to my new flat could be collected. It was nearly four hours later that a I received a phone call from the solicitors telling me that I could now collect the keys - by which time most of my stuff was already moved in.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 10-Oct-20 09:23:25

Oh Marieeliz I do hope that all this goes through for you without much more delay. Moving house is so stressful, isn't it? It certainly isn't helped by buyers being able to pull out at the last minute for no reason and goodness knows what else. flowers for you. Best of luck.

kircubbin2000 Sat 10-Oct-20 11:11:41

It took me 5 years to sell and this house is much more suitable.My only regret is that I didn't extend the kitchen and add a Sun room. I hadn't the money at the time and now I don't want disruption.