Gransnet forums

House and home

What's it like living in and around Skegness?

(41 Posts)
Americanpie Thu 17-Jun-21 09:35:31

Hi All,
is there anyone living around this area that can tell me what their experiences are please? Transport links, broadband speed, doctors etc etc? I currently live on the west coast but am thinking of moving. It's very quiet where we are and the weather is sometimes very wet and windy. Thank you.

Blossoming Thu 17-Jun-21 09:44:25

I think you’ll find the weather equally wet and windy on the east coast, and much colder. Those of us on the west coast benefit from the Gulf Stream.

Dinahmo Thu 17-Jun-21 09:46:58

There is a well known British Rail poster (from the thirties I think" with the caption "Skegness is so bracing". It's a fairly good description.

Peasblossom Thu 17-Jun-21 10:07:52

Not so wet as the west coast, just as windy and it comes straight from the North/East. It’s a bit sharp?

You’ll find the fens quite quiet too.

We’re you thinking Skegness because it’s a holiday place?

Polarbear2 Thu 17-Jun-21 10:09:20

Awful I’d think. It’s my least favourite place on the east coast. My ex late MIL lived in Brid. It was never not windy and often cold. Nice place tho compared to others on that coast.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Jun-21 10:12:33

I agree with Polarbear. I wouldn't want to live near Skegness.

Peasblossom Thu 17-Jun-21 10:14:53

FannyCornforth

I agree with Polarbear. I wouldn't want to live near Skegness.

Each to his own.

My nightmare is the Lake District ?

M0nica Thu 17-Jun-21 10:35:18

Bracing.

Alegrias1 Thu 17-Jun-21 10:36:20

According to some posts on other threads, you can't move for GB News presenters. wink

Hope you find the information you need OP.

sodapop Thu 17-Jun-21 12:41:02

Don't think you would want to live in Skeggy Americanpie it's very much an old time seaside resort - apologies to anyone who does live there. That area has quite a drug problem according to my grandchildren who lived in Lincs. Avoid Mablethorpe for similar reasons. The climate can be cold and windy but that applies to a lot of seaside areas.
The Lincolnshire Wolds have some lovely little villages and property is not too expensive.

J52 Thu 17-Jun-21 12:53:36

I’d go and spend some time there to make my own mind up. I’ve visited a couple of times, not for me.

Millie22 Thu 17-Jun-21 13:14:38

I'd stay where you are as it's quite a poor place with all the associated problems.

Whatdayisit Thu 17-Jun-21 13:23:23

Dinahmo

There is a well known British Rail poster (from the thirties I think" with the caption "Skegness is so bracing". It's a fairly good description.

That made me laugh out loud Dinahmo!

I like the occasional trip to Lincoln and the odd day out to Belton House but other than that i am not a fan of the Lincs coast. Don't mean to be sniffy.
I can't imagine these places raising up any time soon as they have lost so much revenue with the pandemic.
Similar Scarborough can have some lovely days there and walks but it looks like the pandemic is taking it's toll with poverty from what i have observed. It's markedly scruffier than a couple of years ago sadly.

JaneJudge Thu 17-Jun-21 13:28:39

I have never been to the Lincs coast, is it really that bad? sad

Polarbear2 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:02:11

Yep it’s always been a bit grim. We used to go to Mablethorpe on club trips when I was a child. I gather Yarmouth etc down Norfolk way are quite bad too nowadays. Agree Scarborough has gone downhill. A bit mucky when we were there. Bridlington seems to be reviving a bit tho. Had some money spent and is looking better. Shame really.

Peasblossom Thu 17-Jun-21 14:03:10

No, it’s beautiful for those of who like our coastline endless, uncrowned and packed with wildlife. A sea that stretches forever and a sky to match.

Has it suffered from economic policy of past years? Without doubt. But that’s another thread..

Peasblossom Thu 17-Jun-21 14:03:43

uncrowned.

I need to turn autocorrect off.

M0nica Thu 17-Jun-21 14:06:16

Polarbear2 we have just spent a long weekend in Greta Yarmouth.

We had a great time balancing walking along the prom eating ice creams and hot donuts, playing crazy golf and going on the boating lake with visiting the two excellent local museums, exploring the old town and visiting nearby NT properties.

sharon103 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:09:57

It's a thumbs down for me. I don't like Skeggy at all.

Polarbear2 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:12:01

MOnica - haven’t been for years but mum went with a friend and said they were frightened to go out at night due to all druggies about. I guess as with everything if you have fun in your soul you’ll enjoy life wherever you are. X

Whatdayisit Thu 17-Jun-21 14:15:33

I think there should be a crowd funder to raise money to clean up our run down coastal towns. They all have something to give.
I grew up on the Yorkshire Coast i love the beauty but would never live at the seaside again.

luluaugust Thu 17-Jun-21 14:15:45

If I had to live somewhere on that bit of coast I would choose Sutton on Sea.

Polarbear2 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:20:56

Whatdayisit

I think there should be a crowd funder to raise money to clean up our run down coastal towns. They all have something to give.
I grew up on the Yorkshire Coast i love the beauty but would never live at the seaside again.

I won’t comment on the crowd funder as we’ll get political, but I am interested why you wouldn’t live in a seaside town again?? I’ve thought it would be quite nice??

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:27:22

I went there out of season ( early May, so quite sunny) a couple of years ago when DH was off doing something else.
It was certainly bracing, the Bingo Hall was open though and I walked quite a way up the beach (quite cold and windy) and could still hear the caller.
Nothing much else to say, it looked very run down, but I guess in the Summer months the teenagers will like it for the Amusement arcades.
I just bought a couple of sticks of rock and left, it was easy to park though, just me and 3 other cars.

Greyduster Thu 17-Jun-21 14:35:06

You always come away from anywhere on the East coast feeling as if you have been sandblasted. The best thing about Skegness is it’s close proximity to Gibraltar Point - if you’re a bird watcher!