Gransnet forums

House and home

Any recommendations for a useful Moving Checklist?

(35 Posts)
Bakingmad0203 Tue 26-Oct-21 15:15:46

I remember a while ago someone putting on this forum a very useful checklist for moving, which included who to contact about change of address etc. I thought I had saved it but can’t find it anywhere. Not a good start...!

NotTooOld Tue 26-Oct-21 16:34:36

That is a good idea. Prior to one of our many moves the removals company gave us a check list which came in handy. I'm afraid I don't still have it. It probably got lost in one of our subsequent moves. Have you tried googling it? Something useful might come up.

Sago Tue 26-Oct-21 16:41:25

Click the link and there is a really good printable download.

A word of warning if you have to redirect your mail it is impossible to do this via Royal Mail without them passing on your details, I dont know how they get away with it.

JaneJudge Tue 26-Oct-21 16:43:18

I found that trying to clean each room as I packed was useful too so there wasn't much 'dep' cleaning to do at the end iykwim

JaneJudge Tue 26-Oct-21 16:44:07

Take dated photos of your electric/gas and water meter on the day you move out and then also at the house you are moving to.

Shandy57 Tue 26-Oct-21 16:47:59

You might like the one I used:-

www.which.co.uk/money/mortgages-and-property/home-movers/moving-house/moving-house-checklist-ap7pv6c6t74x

Scones Tue 26-Oct-21 17:34:12

We were given a really useful checklist by our solicitor when we moved so maybe you could get one from your solicitor. Tried to find ours for you without success. Sorry.

Mattsmum2 Tue 26-Oct-21 17:49:54

I’ve moved 4 times in the last 3 years and I’ve always set up a spreadsheet that has all the things to do and by when along with reference numbers. Found it particularly useful in a dispute with Sky. It has dates etc. I turn the cell green when it’s complete. One to remember is dog microchip, car log book and pension providers.

Bakingmad0203 Tue 26-Oct-21 18:40:22

Thank you, some good tips that I hadn’t thought of.

I think I shall also go through this forum from when it was started by craftyone as I remember there was some good advice on here.

Whiff Tue 26-Oct-21 19:00:33

Bakingmade Help calm me ,house buying and selling stress is still going. Spice101 has kept it going since Craftyone left. I joined it in March 2019 when my house sale fell through for the second time and I was at the end of my rope.

Think its on part 8 so there is plenty for you to read. But there is brilliant advice there . You should read some of the older parts . Still good advice on the new on but more on older ones.

Apart from beveveament buying and selling a property is the most stressful thing you will ever do. Glad I am never doing it again.

Wish you well on your journey.

Whiff Tue 26-Oct-21 19:01:24

Sorry spelt your name wrong Bakingmad.

Fogler Sat 25-Jun-22 21:03:45

This is one of the more thorough ones I've found threemovers.com/moving-checklist/ and it was helpful last time I moved. As for change of address, you should just have to contact the post office for that and I'm sure you can do it online.

Franbern Sun 26-Jun-22 09:12:33

Bakingmad, I think the best one put up on this thread was the one by Shandy and she has sent you a link to that one on this thread.

Grantanow Sun 26-Jun-22 12:15:37

Google for one. There are quite a few online to print off.

Judy54 Sun 26-Jun-22 14:24:40

As well as our own checklist we also left an information pack for the new Owner as did the people from whom we were buying. It is helpful to have a list of local contacts such as Electricians, Plumbers, Gardeners, the local Council, what day the bins are put out etc.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 01-Jul-22 12:45:58

If you are making your own list, look through your direct debit notifications. In the course of the year, you have all the people whose bills you pay annually, monthly or quarterly.

If you keep an address book, go though it too, deleting those entries that are no longer relevant and write an e-mail stating the date of your removal and you old and new addresses, plus any change in telephone numbers. Send the e-mail to all the people in your address book /Access program.

Notify the post office of your new address, find out how long they will forward letters sent to the old one too.

If you have dogs or cats, remember to contact the registry of chipped or tattooed pets with you new address, preferably before moving.

Start eating up the food in the freezer now, so you can de-frost it and turn it off, whether you are taking it with you or not.

If you will be in the same district and therefore not changing your GP and dentist, send them your new address and the date of moving.

Make sure your house insurance covers your new home from the day you enter it, and that the old property insurance ends on the day you move out.

Number your packing boxes and write in large letters on All sides of them KITCHEN LIVING ROOM etc. and ask the removal company to place them in the appropriate location. Keep a list of the contents of each box incase any goes missing.

Pack a basket or box with toilet paper, first aid kit, tinned food for dinner, pet food, plus food and water bowls if appropriate, towels and clean bed linen, tea towel and dish cloth and MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that this box is last on the removal van, and first off.

On the day you move in, get your beds set up, mattresses on and made before anything else - then when you are dead beat, you can just tumble into bed. And re-cat or dog - lock them in a room with food, water and cat tray while everything is being moved in and don't let them out until you are certain that all outer doors and windows are locked. Then let them explore their new house, but not the garden, unless on the lead.

If the properties have water meters take a photo of the readings too.

harryoscar2 Wed 28-Sep-22 08:30:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Carla12 Wed 11-Oct-23 15:05:27

Hey there,

Start early, create a timeline, and pack room by room. Don't forget to notify important parties, change your address, and book movers in advance. Label boxes, pack a first-night box, and document valuables. Stay flexible and be prepared for unexpected delays. Best of luck with your move!

Carla

Georgesgran Wed 11-Oct-23 15:11:20

Hopefully the OP has now moved, as this thread is 2 years old. Maybe relevant to others now.

hamidch Tue 17-Oct-23 14:10:20

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 17-Oct-23 16:16:39

Barkingmad0203, I'd say have a ruthless de-clutter then you'll not be packing, transporting and finally unpacking and storing any things you no longer need/have room for!
Very luck with your move, hope all goes smoothlysmile

hamidch Wed 18-Oct-23 09:48:52

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 18-Oct-23 10:05:14

Reported

Nannashirlz Wed 18-Oct-23 14:12:32

I got one from Royal Mail when I redirected my post but I had a note book too to write down what I needed to do and who to contact with phone numbers and email addresses and even had room sizes curtains and light bulbs don’t forget your apps on your phone and most companies need a month notice of move. Also a moving in day box. I’m still unpacking having just moved few weeks ago cross country. Don’t forget your bubble wrap I got that from amazon and I’ve attached a photo of the 3 bags I got also from Amazon and each bag held a king size duvet and two pillows other I put pillows bath sheets towels t-towels and dressing gown and clothes for few days. They all took removal guys handling them from both sides and still going strong. That’s definitely something I’d recommend for transporting your bedding hopefully your move goes smoothly as it’s very stressful and will take it’s toll too I’m not moving again lol good luck with yours

Nannashirlz Wed 18-Oct-23 14:17:10

Nannashirlz

I got one from Royal Mail when I redirected my post but I had a note book too to write down what I needed to do and who to contact with phone numbers and email addresses and even had room sizes curtains and light bulbs don’t forget your apps on your phone and most companies need a month notice of move. Also a moving in day box. I’m still unpacking having just moved few weeks ago cross country. Don’t forget your bubble wrap I got that from amazon and I’ve attached a photo of the 3 bags I got also from Amazon and each bag held a king size duvet and two pillows other I put pillows bath sheets towels t-towels and dressing gown and clothes for few days. They all took removal guys handling them from both sides and still going strong. That’s definitely something I’d recommend for transporting your bedding hopefully your move goes smoothly as it’s very stressful and will take it’s toll too I’m not moving again lol good luck with yours

The bags are below