Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Fish and Chips Baby

(30 Posts)
glassortwo Tue 26-Feb-13 12:39:42

I have just been passed this from my Sister, its to knit a small jumper for aids babies in Africa, The WI are organising the knitathon.

I received this by email and it has the diagram of the item which is in the shape of a cross, as it wont copy if anyone would like the e mail forwarded please Pm me.

FISH AND CHIP BABIES

New born babies suffering from Aids are being called ‘fish and chips’ babies because many of them are being sent home from hospital in newspaper for warmth. They need your help.

In order to assist these tiny babies we are asking you to knit a small jumper which will be sent to Africa. Average knitters can complete a jumper in an evening. It’s an easy quick pattern.

Special Instructions.
Use only double knitting wool (8ply)
No pastels or white please – these garments may never be washed.
Bright colours and mixed colours are best or stripes.

BABY JUMPER KNITTING PATTERN (Knitted all in one)

You will need
Double knitting wool.
Size 6 (5mm) needles (tight knitters)
Size 7 (5.4mm) needles (loose knitters)
Cast on 44 sts.
Do 18 rows in rib (K2, P2)
Do 30 rows in stocking stitch (1 row K, 1 row P)
Cast on 12 stitches at the beginning of the next row (you should now have 56sts)
Cast on 12 stitches at the beginning of the next row (You should now have 68sts)
and change to rib (K2, P2) for the sleeves
Do 22 more rows of rib (K2, P2)
Next row for the neck: rib 21 (K2, P2) cast off 26 rib (K2, P2) 21 (You should now have 42sts)
Next row for the neck: rib 21 (K2, P2) cast on 26 rib (K2, P2) 21 (You should now be back to 68ts)
Do 22 rows in rib (K2, P2)
Cast off 12 stitches at the beginning of the next row (You should now be back to 56sts)
Cast off 12 stitches at the beginning of the next row (You should now be back to 44sts)
Do 30 row stocking stitch (1 row K, 1 row P)
Do 18 rows in rib (K2 P2)
Cast off
Sew up the side seams

You can send the knitted tops to anyone you know in the Woman’s Institute, as they are arranging the whole fish and chip baby knitathon, if you don’t know anyone you could find a local group in the phone book and they will help. Or you could send them to me and I’ll give them to my Sister.

Stansgran Tue 26-Feb-13 12:59:29

I will print this off for my sewing group. None is a member of the WI

Notso Tue 26-Feb-13 13:03:52

I have lots of spare double knitting wool glass, will start knitting tonight.

I found this image of the jumper/vest to go with the pattern glass posted. Apologies in advance if it doesn't work.

scottishcountryhouse.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/dsc02776.jpg

Notso Tue 26-Feb-13 13:04:22

It did. smile

glassortwo Tue 26-Feb-13 13:06:16

Thanks notso smile

shysal Tue 26-Feb-13 16:28:09

Thanks glass, started knitting already.

glassortwo Tue 26-Feb-13 16:46:13

Thats quick smile

Gorki Tue 26-Feb-13 18:26:18

I have lots of wool too so will set to.It will make a change from blanket squares!I used to use a similar pattern in larger sizes for Oxfam and found it very easy. It is nice to be knitting for a good cause.

gracesmum Tue 26-Feb-13 18:59:01

I remember posting on this back in I thinbk October on the Granny-Chic thread and am glad to hear it has spread and spread!
"While we are on the subject of knitting, littlest DD's MIL has told me she is knitting for "fish and chip babies" - have you heard of these? These are poor little babies, mostly HIV positive born in Uganda to such poverty that they are sent home wrapped in newspaper to keep them warm.
Do look at this - I know many of you are keen crafters and knitters. Can you imagine a poor little scrap wrapped in newspaper for warmth? It beggars belief and is just so sad expecially when you think about the prospects they face if they survive the early years at all. This is the link, and a quote from the news item:
(You can see a picture of Eileen who has organised the appeal )"in front of a communion table covered with brightly coloured little knitted jumpers and hats. They had been knitted in response to an appeal on Mothers Day in March to knit them for the "fish and chip babies" of Uganda. These babies, mostly born HIV positive, are born into such poverty that traditionally they have left hospital wrapped in newspaper. However now even newspaper is too expensive. So we had undertaken to help meet their needs by knitting jumpers and hats. And a communion table and a further two tabels covered with 200 jumpers and 100 hats was the result.
The jumpers and hats will be delivered to Uganda by friends."

www.stmarysluton.org/news

shysal Tue 26-Feb-13 19:11:57

A Google search shows a pattern for a beanie hat too.It seems the idea started in New Zealand, and is now spreading world-wide.
Happy knitting!

Galen Tue 26-Feb-13 19:21:38

I can't knit!sad but I can crochet , if anyone has a crochet pattern?

Stansgran Tue 26-Feb-13 20:05:19

There is also a wonderful site about turning spare pillow cases into pretty dresses for little girls. I have loads of surplus pillow cases(I used to have white sheets for all the beds but room coordinating cases)but the site is American. Does anyone know of a UK site?

glassortwo Tue 26-Feb-13 20:22:35

stansgran I think there was a thread last year about these dresses, I seem to think it may have been libradi or ariadne that had posted.

Marelli Tue 26-Feb-13 20:24:53

I'll start knitting tonight, too. I've been knitting squares for a blanket for my old brass bed, just for something to knit! This is more important. I'll send them to you, glass, if that's ok?

glassortwo Tue 26-Feb-13 21:52:59

marelli of course, I will pass them on for you. smile

shysal Wed 27-Feb-13 08:49:36

I am just over half way through my first jumper. However, I am wondering whether the head will fit through the hole, I cast off and on loosely but not sure. I shall get a better idea of the neck size when I have completed the whole thing. My tension is usually spot on, so used 5mm needles. The jumper as a whole looks big, but I suppose it needs to cover most of the torso.
I am an average speed knitter, but I certainly would not manage one in an evening.

shysal Wed 27-Feb-13 15:40:12

Just found this notice. It seems the small jumpers/vests are no longer required! They do still need hats and larger woolies as well as 6" squares for blankets.
I went out earlier and bought some more wool!

glassortwo Wed 27-Feb-13 17:49:15

Oh no I will Email my sister. Sorry [shysal] sad

SusanMckenzie Wed 13-Aug-14 11:48:56

I have started the Fish and Chip project in Johannesburg South Africa in response to the desperate needs of these Mothers who need to be reminded of the simple fact that people care, and I want to widen the circle of compassion and see how many people I can get sympathetic to the cause who want to join in.
I am inviting other knitters/crocheters/sewists to join me and knit/crochet/sew at your own pace at home, work or wherever to make items to be donated. There are no pattern style restrictions except that they must be suitable for newborn babies. These little ones need booties, jerseys, mittens, hats and blankets and soft toys. If you want to make squares that we will join together, please make them 20cm x 20cm and make all your items in double knit wool. I would love it if you use every colour under the rainbow and not just white or pastels! My postal address is PO Box 786548, Sandton, Johannesburg, 2146, South Africa.

Looraine Thu 18-Dec-14 14:36:11

Hi just found this on the internet and think it sounds a lovelly idea.cant wait to get started and hope to send you something soon.smile

littleflo Fri 19-Dec-14 19:07:20

J

Maggie166 Tue 14-Jul-15 15:38:32

are people still knitting these items?

tabbymh Tue 21-Jul-15 15:53:41

I have a box of Fish and Chip vests and hats. Does anyone know where to send them. It is a shame for them to not be used.

Elegran Tue 21-Jul-15 15:57:06

www.facebook.com/notes/fish-chip-babies/drop-off-points/641064112690835

Katek Tue 21-Jul-15 23:25:42

I don't think they want the pillowcase dresses in white as its a colour of mourning in some countries. I've made a couple of fuschia pink and couple of lemon. Used the offcut flap for edging and a contrast patch pocket.