Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Making a will.

(3 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 05-Jul-12 17:51:01

I have a real problem as long as I live in France. If I die here, my assets (just the flat and a small amount of cash) will have to be shared equally between my two daughters. One of them would spend it on drugs. I would like to leave her share to her children but it is impossible to disinherit your children in France. I hope I can hang on until I emigrate to New Zealand.
A friend has had to return to England after 15 happy years in France because one of her sons is bi-polar and could not be trusted with his share of her large estate. She has set up a trust fund in England, but she has to be resident when she dies. If her son were resident in France, she could make arrangements because of his medical condition. I like a lot of things in France, but this really is a stupid law and causes awful trouble in second marriages where there are children from the previous relationship.

Billmartins Thu 05-Jul-12 18:21:19

Hi Greatnan

I am widowed and in the UK.
My wife left half the house I am now living in to our children. I did a mirror will.
As far as we are concerned our children are going to inherit the house and we wanted to ensure at least our own halves of the house could not be taken by the council for care fees or to any future husband / wife.
I am in my late 60's and do not want to get married again as I know the problems late in life marriages can bring to the children.
I think my children have suffered enough losing their mother never mind part of their inheritance.
They are not on drugs or anything like that.
The only encounter we had with the police was when my daughter collapsed in the road.
She had drank 1 glass of wine. The police called an ambulance and she was found to have low blood pressure but they thought the glass of wine probably topped her.
She was taken into a nearby police station as they only wanted her to go when I arrived to collect her.

Bill

AlisonMA Thu 05-Jul-12 18:27:35

Hi Bill I think you will find that your assets can be taken for care fees whatever your will says. That would be your half of the house as your children already own the other half. If you do remarry your will will become invalid so you will need to make another one after marriage if you want to be sure your children will inherit.