Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Chiropodist fees in nursing home.

(12 Posts)
HUNTERF Wed 12-Dec-12 09:53:59

I have got an uncle in a nursing home who is diabetic and has dementia problems.
He is on social funding.
Unfortunately he is ruining his clothes due to his problems and there is not enough money from the money he is allowed to keep.
I have helped and so far spent about £100 on clothes in 3 months.
I have now received a £20 invoice for chiropodist fees ( 2 sessions ).
He has no children and at the end of the day I will pay it.
Does anybody know if social services or the NHS should pay as he had this service at a medical centre before he went into care?.

Frank

Anne58 Wed 12-Dec-12 09:56:33

Not sure, Hunter but my chiropodist is based in a local health centre and charges quite a bit more than that.

kittylester Wed 12-Dec-12 10:00:33

I thought that diabetics were entitled to free chiropody - ring Age Uk - they'll know.

My Mum's fees for a chiropodist to visit her care home are £30 per session but she has no specific need for one apart from a corn! grin

gracesmum Wed 12-Dec-12 10:05:47

I too pay £25-30 for podiatry but like kitty thought diabetics were entitled to free treatment. Perhaps the £10 fee is subsidised?
Without prying, I wonder how much money he has for clothing and essentials and whether, if this is really not sufficient, funding might be available for Social Services or any charity?
Are his clothes not washable or cleanable? Bottom line, have you looked at charity shops as you often get some very good quality stuff. Lucky man to have you to concern yourself with his problems.

kittylester Wed 12-Dec-12 10:10:32

I think that, if a resident is having all their fees paid then all their income is taken from them and there is only a small amount of 'pocket money' allowed, gracesmum.

Again - AgeUk will know!

HUNTERF Wed 12-Dec-12 14:40:43

Hi Gracemum

My uncle is only allowed £24 per week.
The problem is he keeps losing his clothes etc due to the dementia.
When he first went into care the Social Worker asked if the family could pay his fees between them.
We told the Social Worker to get lost as I am the closest relative being a nephew.
The next ststement we had was there was no suitable home in the area at the local authority rate and only one home would take him with a £140 per week top up.
Again we just refused to pay and the total fees were then funded by the council in the same home.
We do not mind funding more luxury type items but we do not see why we should fund essentials and as my uncle is diabetic we feel the chiropody should be funded by the NHS.
I will get on to Age Concern for advice.
After all what would happen if he had no family?.

Frank

gracesmum Wed 12-Dec-12 15:22:58

What is the £24 a week meant for? is it incidentals,as presumably all food etc is provided. How can he "lose" his clothes? I would have expected the care home to be responsible for laundry - aren't they? You could sew on name labels if things are getting mixed up with other residents' clothes (this used to happen to my Mum in hospital, she would put on what ever she was given and a lot of her own lovely things just disappeared) - there are stick-on and iron-on versions available too, or just use a laundry pen to put his name or initials in his clothes. I believe Age Concern are now called Age UK, but good luck with them.

HUNTERF Wed 12-Dec-12 16:02:20

Hi Gracemum

I am afraid the residents are not with it and I did catch a woman looking in my uncle's wardrobe a few days ago so she may have been about to take something.
I also caught my uncle walking down the corridor with another man's shaver and a woman's talcolm powder.
My uncle has at least 8 pairs of slippers and when I visited him the last time he had 1 slipper on and all the rest were missing.
I managed to locate the equivalent of 4 pairs but when I visit I spend half the time looking for missing clothes etc.
Later I found 2 pairs of slippers were being washed.
My uncle has a visitor most days and we have found other residents property in his drawers etc.
Yes we put his name and room number on his clothes etc and the home washes them.
Other relatives do return my uncle's property to us but some only have visitors once a week.
We all know his clothes reasonably well but it is not perfect in our case as several different relatives visit my uncle but not at the same time.
The other problem is there are allways clothes in the wash. My uncle messed up 6 pairs of trousers in 1 day once.

POGS Wed 12-Dec-12 20:13:29

HUNTERF

My dad lives in his own home and he has a free session with an NHS chiropodist every 3 months. I do appreciate that may be so different to living in other types of accomodation.

He is in receipt of State Pension, Pension Credit Guarantee and Attendance Allowance. He is 93 years old.

If you think this is similar to your circumstances get the help of the Social Services who will advise you. I do wonder if there is a post code lottery sometimes, we live in Leicestershire by the way.

Good luck.

Podman Sat 04-May-13 06:53:09

I am a Chiropodist/Podiatrist who has considerable experience providing services to nursing homes.
If your relative was eligible for NHS Chiropody treatment prior to him being admitted to the care home then you should contact the local NHS Podiatry Dept and ask if he can still have this service. They may not provide a domiciliary service so you may have to take him to the clinic.
You quote a fee of £10.00 for Chiropody treatment. Are you sure that this is in fact Chiropody treatment and not just nail-cutting? I have been in business for over 30 years and I could not provide any kind of visiting service for such a low fee.
I would not advise that you use Age UK as their volunteers toe-nail cutters are not trained as Chiropodists.
Are you sure the person visiting is in fact a Chiropodist and not an unregulated footcare person? Check out this website to se if your footcare provideder is in fact registered. www.hpc-uk.org
If your uncle has Diabetes then he should have the best footcare that is available to prevent future problems. You do not say where you live but you should expect to pay at least £30.00 for a home visit.
The criteria for free Chiropody have been tightened up because of cost and most home visits stopped due to the service being abused.

If there is a problem with clothes going mising then this is something that you should discuss with the home.

I hope that helps.

Lilygran Sat 04-May-13 07:53:29

Age UK is the place to ask but I know in this area over the last few years the NHS chiropodist service has gradually become more and more restricted. Home visits used to be available to people who were confined to the house and had various health problems. Then it was people with diabetes only. Then there was no home visiting. When my mother was still living with us, the private chiropodist who used to come regularly retired and I couldn't find another. Now she is in a nursing home, the hairdresser, chiropodist, dentist, optician and of course, the GP visit regularly. They also have visiting 'shops' selling clothes, toiletries, cards and gifts. And to go back to the OP, I think the fees quoted sound quite reasonable but of course, no fee is reasonable if you haven't got the wherewithal. But I'm sure if there is any vestigial remains of any free chiropody service, Frank will find it. sunshine

HUNTERF Sun 05-May-13 08:51:59

I was the one who asked this question and I have to admit I forgot about it as my uncle died just before Christmas so I did not pursue the matter.
The answer I got to was if he wanted treatment on the NHS we would have had to got him to the local health centre and it would have cost more for the taxi than the £10 it cost.

I was under the impression he was getting the services of a chiropodist.

We had a phone call a little while ago as some of my uncles property has been found. A relative visited to recover an old family photograph but they left the clothes at the home.

They were no use to us and I know however well a relative is provided for it is never enough at some point.

Somebody I know said her father had 8 shirts and they had all been messed up at the same time.

Frank