Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Anyone any experience of barristers in divorce financial hearings?

(5 Posts)
specki4eyes Thu 07-Mar-13 21:13:23

How effective are barristers in financial hearings relating to divorce? My DS just been quoted £1,000 to be barrister-represented at his Financial Dispute Resolution hearing. Has anyone any first hand experience?

tanith Thu 07-Mar-13 21:41:37

I had a barrister at my financial hearing before my divorce I really don't think there would of been a settlement if I hadn't as we were so at odds . Of course it was very expensive but my own solicitor persuaded me that having a barrister represent me was my best chance of a fair settlement. I knew nothing, never having ever dealt with lawyers or courts before so I went with it. I had one meeting with her before the hearing and she had an excellent grasp of the situation (I guess thats why they charge so much )and I was happy with the way things went at the end of the day. Thats just my experience of course.

shysal Thu 07-Mar-13 22:39:17

My ex-husband was represented by a barrister who was completely unprepared and useless. I actually felt sorry for ex. Mind you, my solicitor dragged his feet for a year and was almost as useless! The hearing was therefore based on the evidence that I provided, and the original 'gentleman's agreement', which ex was trying to wriggle out of, was allowed to stand.

janthea Fri 08-Mar-13 11:24:04

I had one for my financial hearing and she was excellent. Expensive but worth it.

Jadey Fri 08-Mar-13 12:09:31

I do not have any personal experience myself, however I should imagine it is like any other proffession in that you get your good and your bad, you just need to get a good one, recomendations is usually a good way to go. Good luck with it all