Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Local Authority Cuts and the Elderly

(10 Posts)
paulan Mon 25-Mar-13 15:12:40

I read today of the worrying proposals announced for personalisation, outsourcing and less residential care for the elderly to achieve Council budget savings. We are told that council’s are now finalising their budgets for 2013 and 14. This will be the third consecutive year in which they have faced reduced budgets with over £2b cut in the last two years alone from adult social care.

We know that in at least 18 Local Authorities in the UK a decision has apparently been made to reduce spending on residential care services for the elderly and to utilise an alternative model by moving as many people as they can from residential care into some form of supported housing. We are also told that some authorities (notably Bristol) are taking steps to close down day care centres to achieve yet further savings.

Inevitably there is a real risk in my view that the drive to make cuts will result in many been denied residential care when they clearly need it putting the elderly at real risk and in addition even more social isolation!

Views?

absent Mon 25-Mar-13 15:20:54

Long before this current recession, cuts were being made in care for the elderly in their own homes to the extent that only those with severe needs were getting any help. Those with moderate or a few needs had to to do without. If fewer elderly people who have very severe needs are denied residential care, how much effect will this have further down the line?

HUNTERF Mon 25-Mar-13 23:20:02

That is probably why social workers are trying to tell people to sell houses etc when they are not legally obliged to.

Frank

hnsmith Tue 16-Apr-13 08:14:08

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Elegran Tue 16-Apr-13 08:39:53

hnsmith Your link is to an advertisement for a specific firm of solicitors. I think you will find that GNHQ take a dim view of that.

glammanana Tue 16-Apr-13 09:04:41

Elegran they try all sorts of ways to sneak in don't they ?

Ariadne Tue 16-Apr-13 10:37:26

And he signs himself "Mr"!!

Nonu Tue 16-Apr-13 11:15:12

How pompous is that ????

FlicketyB Tue 16-Apr-13 12:17:43

When I was a Home Visitor with Age Concern (as was) I was frequently very concerned about the loneliness and frailty of a number of the people I visited, people who would be unable to get out of the house if there was a fire, others whose dementia meant that they would try and do things that they could not safely do; climb stairs, turn on cookers. One lady with dementia lay on the floor four hours because she did not activate the 'beeper' around her neck because she had forgotten she had it. I could go on.

hnsmith Wed 17-Apr-13 05:41:48

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.