Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Pensionalble Age?

(33 Posts)
suenana Wed 03-Apr-13 17:05:29

Does anyone know why my husband doesnt have to pay for his prescription (he is 62) yet can't draw his Pension until he is 65. When I queried this - I was told he gets a free prescription as he is of pensionable age - when I asked where was his pension then - no one can answer - I know I am being pedantic - but I am sure a good lawyer good take this one up!

Movedalot Wed 03-Apr-13 17:25:03

It used to be 60 for all so is not to do with pensionable age. DH was given free meds at 60 but state pension at 65. I think now they are probably moving it upwards alongside the increasing pension age of women until it is equalised with men.

HUNTERF Wed 03-Apr-13 17:42:05

www.patient.co.uk/health/free-or-reduced-cost-prescriptions

If you look at this link a person appears to become exempt at 60.
I have not had a prescription for 2 years+. I am 64 and I know I did not pay for the last one. I was certainly over 60 at the time.

Frank

bluebell Wed 03-Apr-13 18:04:34

It was brought down to 60 for men to match women under the EU equal treatment legislation - which is the same legislation which is leading to equalisation of pension ages but the two are not linked otherwise . My personal view is that all prescriptions should be free as the present system is full of anomalies- especially the list of conditions which exempt someone

Movedalot Wed 03-Apr-13 18:07:11

bluebell I agree that it is a strange list (from which I benefitted) but how would we pay for all the free prescriptions?

absent Wed 03-Apr-13 18:08:38

NHS – free at the point of need?

bluebell Wed 03-Apr-13 18:09:03

We do already - the vast majority of prescriptions are already free for one reason or another - what's left is inequitable and random

Wheniwasyourage Wed 03-Apr-13 20:05:55

Come to Scotland, where prescriptions are free for everyone. And Wales, or have I got that wrong?

bluebell, you're right about the randomness of what is/was (depending where you live) charged for. It doesn't/didn't make any sense at all.

bluebell Wed 03-Apr-13 23:02:45

A really good example is cystic fibrosis - it was never put on the exempt list because the children ( who had free prescriptions) didn't survive into adulthood - now they do and have to pay for their prescriptions in England

Movedalot Thu 04-Apr-13 11:17:35

The NHS is free at the point of need.

ps Thu 04-Apr-13 18:19:37

Pensionable age is 60, the age when pension credit can be paid to someone on benefits assuming I understand it correctly. State pension age is 65 gradually being increased to align with life expectancy and funds available, some occupations are permitted to retire before that; my pensionable age was 40, I believe prison officers and policemen may be 55. I stand to be corrected but Racing car drivers may be 36. None of this is related to State pension age purely occupational pension age as agreed between respective industries and HMRC. They obviously didn't expect those in my line of work to live too long did they but I survived and am now 64. I intend to live long enough to be a nuicance to my kids. They say I achieved that goal a long time ago!

shysal Fri 05-Apr-13 09:30:20

ps smile

annodomini Fri 05-Apr-13 10:24:18

The party to which I used to belong (before it went into league with the devil) once had a sensible policy for a 'flexible decade of retirement' between 60 and 70'. I could see that there would be people in certain occupations who would want to retire by 60. If I'd remained as a school teacher, I might not have made it that far! As I worked in FE, I was quite happy to go on to 65 but 'they' made my job redundant 18 months before I was 60.

HUNTERF Sat 06-Apr-13 16:23:50

The normal retirement age was 60 where I worked.
When they wanted to let some staff go they looked at over 50's first and paid them an immediate pension and redundancy.
If for example you had worked for the company for 30 years you got half your final salary.
I don't think anybody worked there till they were 60.
The pensions officer said the optimum point for most people to be made redundant was at just over 57 as you got the full redundancy and immediate pension.
When I was made redundant I got another job and was pensioned off again 5 years later.
I suppose the company was operating a policy of age discrimination but nobody complained as the pay offs were good along with the immediate pension.
I must admit when I was shown my figures I could not get out of the office fast enough.

Frank

absent Sun 07-Apr-13 10:01:36

Movedalot Where do you get free dental treatment when you need it? Not everyone gets their medication free either. The NHS is not free at the point of need – only at some of those points.

Movedalot Sun 07-Apr-13 11:34:21

I disagree absent if you need NHS treatment it is free if you cannot afford it. I read that a huge number of people don't pay for anything. That is how I interpret need in this sense. The alternative would be to say you were not prepared to pay the very low NHS dental fees (compared to private) in which case you wouldn't really need it.

absent Sun 07-Apr-13 12:22:38

Movedalot Prescriptions and dental treatment were free at the point of delivery pre-Thatcher. The NHS is still erroneously described by David Cameron, Jeremy Hunt and friends, as it was by members of the previous government, as free at the point of delivery not that some aspects are free at the point of delivery only to those who cannot afford to pay for them. It is perfectly possible to be unable to afford essential medication or dentistry without qualifying for exemption. You have a very idiosyncratic definition of "need" and, indeed, of "free". confused

Movedalot Sun 07-Apr-13 13:06:44

Whatever you may think of my definitions absent you would surely agree that most of the NHS is free and that our system is much better than the alternatives?

absent Sun 07-Apr-13 13:18:00

I certainly agree that the NHS is, in many ways, excellent. Twice my life has been saved by superb surgeons and I am profoundly grateful to them and to all the staff who cared for me. (I can hear voices whispering "third time lucky" as I type. grin ) I am, however, deeply concerned about the changes that are being forced through at such a pace. I also have little confidence in the current health minister.

bluebell Sun 07-Apr-13 22:18:15

Movedalot - I often have a problem understanding your reasoning or what you are trying to say - are you saying that prescriptions should or should not be free? Or are you just talking about dental care? Or do you also mean that if you can afford it, you should pay for health care generally?

Orca Sun 07-Apr-13 22:53:03

Very aggressive assertive questioning Bluebell…???

Galen Sun 07-Apr-13 22:59:00

I agree with moved.
But I'm for bed !
Night all!
moon

bluebell Sun 07-Apr-13 23:09:28

Orca what's wrong with asking for clarification? It's a really important point that Moved has made - I just don't understand how widely she means to apply it?

Orca Sun 07-Apr-13 23:16:03

Fine line between asking and demanding.
Me too, I also, off moon

Sel Sun 07-Apr-13 23:35:00

Am I alone in wondering what ps did for a living, given a retirement age of 40. Hmmmm, body or brain dependent? Come on ps - a clue please grin