Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Power of Attorney

(43 Posts)
Daisyanswerdo Mon 19-Aug-13 19:02:09

I would be grateful to have advice from any Gransnetters who have experience of Powers of Attorney.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between Enduring and Lasting Powers of Attorney? Did you find the process simple?

I've been sent the pack (they sent me two, in two separate enveiopes) both for Lasting P of A, and I am a bit daunted by all the forms and the instructions.

Any advice welcome. Many thanks.

FlicketyB Tue 10-Sep-13 18:27:48

The Office of the Public Guardian has released an online version of the application form for LPAs.

It still has to be printed out for signatures but it can be completed online and has prompts which indicate when errors have been made so that they can be corrected.

I got this information from the latest Age UK newsletter. It didn't give a link and I have not looked at it so have no idea how user friendly it is, but it has been developed with Age UK so hopefully it will make life much easier for those needing to complete LPA forms.

Daisyanswerdo Wed 11-Sep-13 00:00:09

Thanks FlicketyB, in the end I used the online version; it wasn't difficult.

silverlining48 Tue 21-Apr-20 20:00:43

We are considering a lasting power of attorney and have looked at an old posts from 2013 so if anyone has more up to date advice and information, we aren’t going out much these days so have plenty of time to plough through it all.

silverlining48 Tue 21-Apr-20 20:03:17

Looks like my post has been tacked on the end of this very old post, so should I begin again?

littleflo Wed 22-Apr-20 09:50:13

@silverlings48 the forms are much simpler now than when this was first posted. It is easy to complete on line. The public Guardian helpline is really great.

Just make sure than when it is printed off, you get the pieces signed in the correct order,

Dinahmo Wed 22-Apr-20 21:38:39

If you don't have an LPA and it transpires that your financial affairs require handling by a third party, the Court of Protection fees are very expensive.

Floradora9 Thu 23-Apr-20 19:23:13

No enduring POA in Scotland it is called Lasting POA. We paid to have ours done but SiL did his mum's himself. One point to make if you nominate more than one person at a time to deal with your affairs make sure you stipulate if this has to be a joint decision they make on your behalf or if they can act independetly of each other.

silverlining48 Mon 27-Apr-20 18:03:45

Thankyou littleflo and those following. As I said we have plenty of time indoors especially as the rains are forecast from tomorrow, so will have a look online and see how we go.

bikergran Thu 13-Aug-20 19:38:19

Soz to resurrect an old thread just looking for bit of info.

I was studying LPA doing it yourself online for a fee of around £80 odd pound.

My mum is ill and my dad has Onset of PD. the LPA is for my dad..

The online form looked a bit complicated but once you read threw it more it become clearer.

Anyway cut long story short, a family member made app for my dad at solicitors. Last week. was there about and a half.

It also included the health side so two parts to it.

The initial cost came through the post today.

After I had got myself up from the floor and had three double brandys I re read the amount in case I had been seeing things!

£840 !!! with vat, there's something in it about protecting some of the money. But this seems very excessive .

There is no property involved to sell.

Has anyone else gone through a solicitor as it just seems so high.

bikergran Thu 13-Aug-20 19:39:54

If it costs that much for LPA what on earth is it going to cost for Probate! when the time comes.

I was thinking of doing LPA for myself but no way...could I afford that!

Helen657 Fri 14-Aug-20 14:29:06

We set up an LPA for my elderly Mother 5years ago when Dad died. I could have done it myself, but wouldn’t have put it past my DM to tell people later on that we’d forced her into it!! So despite the cost, we got a solicitor to sort it out at mums house 121 with her & we stayed out of the way. So I think knowing the person involved can determine whether it’s best to get a solicitor involved or not

Jaxjacky Fri 14-Aug-20 15:17:49

I did mine online, you can do a bit then save it before it’s submitted as it’s lengthy.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 14-Aug-20 15:28:10

I did my PoA for my daughter online. Dead easy, well explained and cheaper than a solicitor and you can't go wrong. You can do it for Finance and Health, either together or just one of them. I just did the finance bit. This is important, if the person has capacity then you can still do PoA but only do any transaction or decision with their permission. If they have no capacity then you don't need permission to make any transaction. Hope that helps.

bikergran Fri 14-Aug-20 18:39:38

Thanks all, it just seemed a bit steep, but then I suppose at least you can if needed make decisions later on instead of fighting for it, which would cost many £1000s.

craftyone Mon 17-Aug-20 19:22:22

I did my will and also my PoA via a solicitor, all is correctly drawn up and I can rest easy knowing that it makes things a great deal easier for my children, part of my `dying tidy` plans. I previously had done an online enduring power of attorney, was never comfortable with that so did LPA with the solicitor after I was widowed. I did probate after I was widowed, I quickly learnt that no way did I want to make things as difficult for my AC. I remember a bill for £500 for LPA and £100 for my simple will

FlexibleFriend Mon 17-Aug-20 20:11:52

I did mine with a solicitor and being in London paid around £1300 for both parts, will was £180 with a different solicitor.

allium Tue 18-Aug-20 15:42:11

I also did all this through a solicitor, admittedly expensive but as this was for an elderly relative, wanted peace of mind all documentation signed and registered where needed.