Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Feb-15 17:32:53

My battle with a frozen pension

To be closer to her son, 79 year old Rita Young decided to relocate from Peterborough to Australia. But she soon discovered that upon leaving the UK her state pension had been frozen, and would remain so throughout her time there. Unable to finance the move and with no one left to call upon, she explains the harsh injustice of this government policy.

Rita Young

My battle with a frozen pension

Posted on: Thu 12-Feb-15 17:32:53

(153 comments )

Lead photo

Rita Young

When my son Colin moved to Australia in 1981 to start a family of his own, I missed him dearly. The thought of not seeing him and my future grandchildren (my granddaughter married in December) grow up deeply troubled me – a feeling I’m sure many of you can relate to.

So, after retiring in 2002 my late husband and I made plans to relocate to Australia to be closer to our family. But when we looked into what this would mean financially, we were completely shocked to find that if we moved our state pensions would be frozen at the rate as when we left – and for the rest of our time there. We knew that year on year we would become progressively worse off and wouldn’t be able to afford to live without being a burden to our son and daughter-in-law – something we weren’t prepared to do, so we decided to stay in the UK.

I now find myself alone, with no family around me after my husband died in 2004, having to make do with a weekly Skype call to Australia. Whilst I’m still perfectly capable and independent now, I worry about the future and what will happen to me when my health deteriorates and I’m left with nobody close by to call upon.

Like all of us affected, I believed while I was working and paying national insurance contributions until the age of 67 that I was safeguarding my future financial security wherever I chose to live.

In some ways I consider myself lucky that I found out about frozen pensions when I did. Given the fact that the policy isn’t widely publicised, thousands of British pensioners move overseas only to find their pensions frozen. As a result, some 560,000 British pensioners living in more than 120 countries worldwide (ironically largely Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Canada, South Africa and New Zealand) are affected, whilst those living in places such as Europe and the US receive annual increases to their state payments as if they lived in the UK. The policy really is illogical as it sounds; a result of half-finished bilateral agreements with overseas governments.

But it’s the complete injustice of the whole situation that still gets to me. Had my son moved to a different country, I would be able to live near him but because he chose Australia, I can’t. Like all of us affected, I believed while I was working and paying national insurance contributions until the age of 67 that I was safeguarding my future financial security wherever I chose to live. Now I sacrifice a social life so that I can save money for trips to Australia once every few years.

Through this archaic frozen pension policy, the government continues to force people like me to make a choice between being close to family and making ends meet. If you are considering moving to be closer to your loved ones that have moved away or perhaps just want to retire abroad, you need to be aware of what this might mean for your pension and for your future well-being.

All we ask the government is to be treated as equals.

The International Consortium of British Pensioners (ICBP) are campaigning for the half a million British pensioners affected by this cruel government policy. For more information including a full list of affected countries visit the website.

By Rita Young

Twitter: @pensionjustice

Jayanna9040 Thu 23-Feb-17 13:37:53

Think it will be evened up durhamjen, once we leave the EU. Frozen pensions for everyone abroad then.

Riverwalk Thu 23-Feb-17 11:47:43

I don't know why this damp squib of a 'Blog' has been resurrected.

Apart from the opening blurb, Rita never did make an appearance and respond to any of the comments!

Possiejim Thu 23-Feb-17 11:22:16

I know of Rita Young who for several years has railed against the appalling UK Government's pension behaviour. www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/money/article4104695.ece .

It is so un-British to index the pensions in some countries but not in others. Where is the fairness in that? Fairness is supposedly in UK Governments' DNA! From a UK Government committee report in 1997;- “Britain was alone among the OECD countries in discriminating between pensioners in different overseas countries, rejecting any suggestion of compromise”. From the same report it continues, “Surely no-one would have deliberately designed a policy of paying pensions to people living abroad intending to end up in the position we are at today… A simple change in British law could enable up-ratings to be paid in any or all overseas countries, provided the political will was there to do so".

Moreover did you know that if the UK government was to make a courageous move and increase all the NI contributions per contributor to fund the GBPs600 million to up-rate all the frozen pensions, the average weekly cost per NI contributor, of whom there are over 30 million, would be less than 40pence per week or about 7pence per day? Who'd miss that from their pay packet? Not many I'd guess. It is less than the cost per week of one cheap fag.

But this shows how miserly and thoughtless the UK government is; so pathetic that they cannot see this disgraceful episode of their miserly pension policy will be affecting their relationship, at a critical time now, with most of the Commonwealth governments. Us disgusted expats are now encouraging the Commonwealth governments to turn on the UK government and will soon be calling for the UK to be suspended from the Commonwealth. www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/10251775/Suspend-Britain-from-Commonwealth-over-unfair-expat-pensions.html

This action we are encouraging is because the UK government is in breach of the Commonwealth Charter. This Royal Charter only signed by The Queen in 2013 states;- "We are implacably opposed to all forms of discrimination", which of course is not true for it's not the way the British Government treats many of us expats, living overseas. It is an immoral example of blatant discrimination, this freezing of some expats' pensions. www.maturetimes.co.uk/join-fight-end-pension-discrimination/. Feel ashamed now to be British living in the UK.

anniegold195 Sun 17-May-15 14:02:31

One of the main reasons hubby and I left South Africa was because of the frozen pension system. That was 15 yrs ago and at that time his weekly UK pension was £30.00. We had no choice but to return in 1996, after 33 years working in 3 different African countries, as we knew that by 2015 we would be unable to live a normal life. And no - we werent eligible for a SA pension. We looked into every avenue in this respect. However, we also knew that a S.A. born citizen, who was married to a Brit, received a portion of his UK pension on his death. How fair is that!

Victoria08 Fri 24-Apr-15 10:44:13

On the subject of retiring to oz or Europe . Is it possible to live ok on a state pension with no mortgage. Would be interested to heR from others who have retired to Spain, and how they manage financially.

rosequartz Wed 18-Feb-15 14:36:39

It sounds like a case of 'mis-sold pensions' to me.

This is an extract from Hansard from years ago:

'The scale of pensions mis-selling is profoundly shocking. Hundreds of thousands of people have been mis-sold pensions and as many as 2 million people's cases will need to be looked into. The sheer scale of the problem makes its resolution a priority for the Government.'

Of course they were talking about private pensions, not one they themselves sold!

Eloethan Wed 18-Feb-15 00:06:07

MargaretX I don't see why people who have emigrated should have their pension increases withheld - it must be particularly upsetting to know that it only affects some countries and not others. I think they have a perfect right to "moan" about the unfairness of it and to campaign for a change.

A long flight to somewhere like Australia becomes increasingly difficult with passing years for many elderly people and, whilst Skype is a great way of keeping in touch, I don't believe it in any way compensates for having your family near you.

Mishap Tue 17-Feb-15 21:31:10

For me the injustice lies in the fact that people have paid in and they should be entitled to their pay out.

absent Tue 17-Feb-15 18:32:02

There are all kinds of injustices perpetrated by the UK government. Freezing the state pension for some ex-pats [me] is one; allowing some people who live in the UK to be "non-domicile" for tax purposes, while some who don't live in the UK [me] still pay taxes there.

Goldbeater1 Tue 17-Feb-15 18:25:21

I had made up my mind not to make any further comment on this post but I absolutely have to add something.

Some of our children make an informed choice to live in Australia and if they miss out on family because of that, then that is a direct result of their own free will.

Parents who are left behind, however, did not make an informed choice - most of us had no choice at all, we were simply told that our darling sons and daughters were going to live twelve thousand miles away for a better life. So if we decide to run with the ball and follow them, with all the heartbreak and expense that causes, then we have every right to complain about the added cost of unjustly frozen pensions.

We may be ignored, misunderstood, dismissed and generally thought to be a whinging minority. But we still have the right to stick our hands up and say 'Hang on a minute, that isn't right.'

MargaretX Tue 17-Feb-15 10:58:12

Rosie- As someone who lives abroad and gave up all hope of coming back to the Uk I don't need to be reminded of the sacrifices you make to be with the man you love, never mind grand children . Its awful for the old parents left behind but I think it is an informed choice and there should be no moaning about frozen pensions.
You are right about using italics and I overlooked this. Sorry for the confusion. But my views are different to pompa's. Better say sorry to him as well if he still reading this thread.

Grannyknot Tue 17-Feb-15 09:41:32

durhamjen only just seen your reply to me. Yes you are correct I do live in London and am very spoilt in our area, trains into London every 5 minutes and a bus stop outside my front door (just about).

as an aside, I find for longer train trips if I am able to book ahead there are some good deals - I've travelled to Scotland for £19 overnight by train - I was told to look out for the Bargain Berths on Scotrail. Amazing. So husband and I had a budget break in Edinburgh, we stayed in the Castle Rock Hostel in a room with a fabulous view of the Castle.

rosequartz Mon 16-Feb-15 23:37:47

Careful rosequartz Why do I have to be careful??
confused
I still think your post was a bit harsh.

If you re-post something that someone else said it's normal to put it in italics (as above) so that it is evident you are repeating someone else's words.
Otherwise it gets a bit confusing on a longish thread.

MargaretX Mon 16-Feb-15 21:00:50

Careful rosequartz. I was repeating what *pompa said- or what I understood him to mean.

rosequartz Mon 16-Feb-15 19:27:14

But when in the EU they had to unfreeze the pensions to be like the rest of the EU.

That's what I meant about abandoning the Commonwealth in favour of the EU.

No wonder half of Australians want to abandon us!

Goldbeater1 Mon 16-Feb-15 18:20:59

Thank you for that Margaretx My daughter only went for a year, but she met someone and fell for them and the rest, as they say, is history. I know she'd love me and her dad to be closer but she loves her partner ... and that's how it should be. Someone said they wished Captain Cook had been shot before he got to Australia and sometimes that's how I feel. If I'm still fit enough, I'll be able to go when my mum is no longer with me. But I still feel sorry for people unfortunate enough to have to make a choice between living comfortably and missing all the golden years with their children.

rosequartz Mon 16-Feb-15 17:41:17

Either you are in the UK and love it and think it is the best in the world or you leave it and forfit the pension increases you paid into.
MargaretX I think that is rather harsh. You can love the UK and all it means to you, but you probably love your family more and want to be near them even if you feel homesick.

rosequartz Mon 16-Feb-15 17:38:22

and only mentioned it because one post incorrectly claimed that people who leave the country no longer pay UK tax.

Excerpt from:https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad
*'Non-residents don’t usually pay UK tax on:
the State Pension'*

Grannyknot Mon 16-Feb-15 17:32:37

gold I'll shake on that smile.

You really are in a difficult position.

rosequartz Mon 16-Feb-15 17:31:27

pompa I know you are trying hard to send some sunshine as the wind has changed direction from the west to the east. But it is still a few shades of grey wink
(sorry, another red herring)

MargaretX Mon 16-Feb-15 17:22:43

I don't know the facts but I think that maybe the UK felt like pompa and
wanted the pensions frozen. Either you are in the UK and love it and think it is the best in the world or you leave it and forfit the pension increases you paid into.
But when in the EU they had to unfreeze the pensions to be like the rest of the EU. They didn't do it because they felt it was right, they did it because they had to.

pompa Mon 16-Feb-15 17:15:37

My comment regarding tax was related to VAT, I am well aware that no one is likely to be liable for tax on their state pension. I am still of the opinion that anyone leaving the UK for good is aware of the position regarding pensions and takes that in account when making their choice.
I would not therefore support any change to the present legislation.

I appreciate that this may be an unpopular opinion, but it is what I think.

Rosequartz, it has been very pleasant here all day, very spring like, BUT it has just started raining, so maybe our good weather is on it's way to you.
"Great Weather" is in the opinion of the individual, I have worked on most continents (apart from Africa) and prefer the mix of weather we get in England to anywhere else. Where else could you get such a varied landscape within a few hours drive.

I love England, Scotland & Wales.

Typo E&OE

Goldbeater1 Mon 16-Feb-15 17:05:18

I agree with you grannyknot, I wouldn't let it stop me either. I'm in a strange position since I have the means to pay for a 'contributory parent visa' and could be there inside twelve months, but wont leave my own mother who is increasingly frail and confused.

However, there are people who would not be able to manage financially once the lack of cost of living updates started to kick in and this is something which is difficult to calculate and results in some people having to give up and come back.

I think you are right, I don't think this issue will be resolved any time soon, but I will continue to do what I can to argue against what I see as an injustice whenever I get the opportunity.

Perhaps we should leave it there smile

Grannyknot Mon 16-Feb-15 16:53:17

goldbeater and rob - I was joining in the discussion and you disagree with me. So be it. I agree that the freezing of pensions in certain countries is unjust (I said as much). Call me defeatist, but I doubt this long-drawn out battle is going to be won in my lifetime. As I said, I've been hearing about it from my sister-in-law for as long as I can remember.

If people want to live near their children, then they have to make a decision based on their individual circumstances. If I wanted to be near a child of mine who lived on the other side of the world, I wouldn't let the prospect of a frozen pension increase stop me.

Goldbeater1 Mon 16-Feb-15 16:50:31

I don't think that the comments made by Robthefox and myself were particularly nasty. They refuted some of the arguments previously posted. I agree, I was bit mean pointing out a spelling mistake, but if you read the posts immediately preceding mine, you can maybe see what prompted that - the problem of frozen pensions was dismissed as a question of choice, and not of any great significance.

Pensioners for whom the cost of living updates really matter are not wealthy people ... for it to matter that much you need to be on quite a tight budget. I know of people who really struggle financially for the joy of seeing their grandchildren grow - those people wouldn't have it any other way but that doesn't make it right.

The UK pension is assessed for tax purposes. I agree, it is not directly taxed - but it is deducted from each individual's personal allowance. The resulting, reduced personal allowance means that more tax is paid on other income ... which is indirect taxation. (I think this is quite fair and correct by the way, and only mentioned it because one post incorrectly claimed that people who leave the country no longer pay UK tax.)

I really didn't know that seniors don't pay tax in Australia and find it incredible ... and very good news.

The problem with a topic like this is that it is bound to get a bit heated because it is quite an emotive issue. It's hard to describe the sense of loss you have when your children move so far away and difficult to come to terms with even after many years. Its easier when you can travel over and stay awhile, but with each passing year it becomes harder to cope with the twenty four hour flight, and for many people the cost of the fares becomes prohibitive. After the age of sixty five, travel insurance also becomes increasingly difficult to find. The growing family, meanwhile, are faced with travel costs for children as well as themselves .. so its likely that visits will become less frequent.

And while Skype may help, you can't hug a laptop.