(45 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 13-Nov-15 14:15:51

....for Jury Duty!
Hands up who's jealous.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 13-Nov-15 14:19:18

O M G !!!

Not me!

Grannyknot Fri 13-Nov-15 14:21:49

I've done jury duty and it was very interesting.

But I can't say I'm jealous!

A friend recently had to do jury duty and the case was where a woman had gone back to a hotel with a young man and spent the night, and then reported after a few weeks that he had raped her. My friend agonised being part of the jury having to make that decision, because it came down to technicalities.

Also, when I did my stint, some of the people on some of the juries were ... downright thick, and couldn't tell the difference between "having a gut feel" and interpreting the evidence. So that meant it took hours to get to a verdict.

mollie Fri 13-Nov-15 14:31:11

Me! I went screaming and kicking but actually enjoyed (if that's the right word?) the whole process. It changed my opinion of the legal system and I'd like to do a big trial but doubt that will happen.

kittylester Fri 13-Nov-15 14:33:51

I'd love to do it!! envy

chelseababy Fri 13-Nov-15 14:36:10

I've always thought I'd like to do it, but if I was summoned I'd probably hate it.

appygran Fri 13-Nov-15 14:49:46

Not a bit jealous. When I was called I thought it would be interesting but ended up on a very long winded fraud case. It felt like watching paint dry pigment by pigment. At least after three months I got a lifetime exemption card to use if I happened to be called again.

kittylester Fri 13-Nov-15 14:56:07

Having supporting victims and witnesses for 13 years, I'd love to see the 'other' side!

LullyDully Fri 13-Nov-15 15:04:49

I have never ever been called. Suppose I am now too old. Would be interesting however could be very harrowing I guess.

grannyactivist Fri 13-Nov-15 15:14:03

I don't know which I dread more; a dry fraud case or something of that ilk that will be incredibly boring, a litany of petty crimes, or a big case that will cause me sleepless nights. I must admit though that when I saw the envelope with 'Her Majesty's Courts Service' on the back I had a little frisson of excitement, guessing it was a jury summons.

JamJar1 Fri 13-Nov-15 15:26:32

I was called when a very young adult and have never been called again. It was interesting and luckily I wasn't called to be on another case running at the time which was extremely upsetting. Would not like to be called now.
Hope it's an interesting experience for you.

loopylou Fri 13-Nov-15 15:28:46

I was so, so bored. 84 mile round trip, two weeks of 8 hour days sitting around awaiting selection then the trial was postponed.
I'm hoping I never, ever have to go through that again!

soontobe Fri 13-Nov-15 15:36:33

I got called a few years back.
Then I got another letter about various things.
Then I got a letter saying that the man had pleaded guilty, and the jury wouldnt be needed. They said that that still counted as having been called, so I wouldnt be called again for 3 years.
Result as far as I was concerned.

I do know a young man that was called, and had quite a harrowing case.

Hope it is ok for you.

Synonymous Fri 13-Nov-15 15:50:54

No jealousy here either. I know it has to be done and is important for justice but so many implications for so many people on all sides.

I hope it is a good experience for you grannyactivist. smile

feetlebaum Fri 13-Nov-15 16:05:28

Never been summonsed for it, although my younger brother has.

I have a friend in the USA who has been called five separate times for jury service!

ninathenana Fri 13-Nov-15 16:18:34

ME envy my whole family know I'd love to receive that letter.

Joelise Fri 13-Nov-15 16:36:35

I was called to an appalling case at The Old Bailey a few years ago, I , & my fellow would be jurors were called to a court room for selection. It was very intimidating, as the accused & their families were there . The families were in the gallery menacingly glaring at the court . The case was supposed to last for six weeks ( it actually went on for over three months ) Fortunately I was due to go on holiday in a few weeks time, I had to walk the length of the court to tell the judge my reason for not being able to attend the case, & he accepted my excuse. I felt very frightened by the case & followed in the newspaper, I think I would have had nightmares if I'd had to do it ! I was called to Isleworh court some months later to a very boring case, which was a complete waste of every ones time, & tax payers money !

Greenfinch Fri 13-Nov-15 16:36:46

I would love to do it but only have 6 months of eligibility left. My DH found his fraud case boring and my friend had to ring in every morning but was never used.

I have been a witness at the Crown Court and found the witness support network very helpful. The jury was very attentive and the cross-examining was quite mild. The outcome was fairly obvious and the defendant got 23 years. I obviously did not know all the ins and outs of the case but the victim brought me a box of chocolates when it was all done and dusted so I found out a bit more. Wish I'd been a lawyer .Fascinating job.

NfkDumpling Fri 13-Nov-15 16:42:39

I've done it once and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. But the hanging around, late starts, long lunches and early finishes annoyed me rather. Hopefully this has changed as it was 30+ years ago. I'd love another turn - two years left before I'm two old.

NfkDumpling Fri 13-Nov-15 16:43:18

Two? Too!

downtoearth Fri 13-Nov-15 17:17:45

I have been called three times,I was allowed to defer first one owing to age of my children ,second one I was called on two cases,both a week long.
third one was just after my daughter died and we was involved in our own court battle....I was rather hoping to find HIM there and find him guilty..( he was, but much later and I was in the gallery cheering that time)...wonder if there will be a 4th..

baubles Fri 13-Nov-15 18:22:45

I quite enjoyed my stint as a juror in our local Sherrif Court, the charge was serious assault and the trial lasted four days.

It was very interesting but I'm glad not to have been called for anything more harrowing, the photos were quite distressing enough.

The worst part was the discomfort, the jury box was very cramped.

Good luck ga grin

Ana Fri 13-Nov-15 18:26:40

Imagine having to be holed up in some hotel over Christmas without being able to contact the outside world!

On the other hand...wink

ninathenana Fri 13-Nov-15 18:48:34

Do they it put you up in an hotel If the case warrants it ?

loopylou had to do 84 mile round trip I assume that's daily.

Ana Fri 13-Nov-15 18:57:03

If it's a high-profile case where jurors might be at risk of being 'got at' they do.