Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Big shout out for my bank!

(13 Posts)
Indinana Fri 08-Jan-16 19:49:57

On Wednesday evening I fell for a gang of scammers advertising on Facebook, cleverly disguised as a well known jewellery chain. Because I accessed the website via a link on FB, I opened a new tab and searched for the company website to check that it was the same. How stupid of me! Of course it was looked identical. They're not stupid!
As soon as I hit 'confirm payment', two things happened: 1) I got an immediate message telling me my card had been 'unauthorised by my bank' and simultaneously I got a text message from my bank's fraud department, asking me to confirm that a recent transaction in China was recognised by me. Well of course it wasn't.
Five minutes later my bank rang me. Long story to short: lots of people were caught by these fraudsters before Christmas, purportedly selling well known 'high end' goods - trainers, jewellery, designer clothes etc. But now the banks are on the case and the second a customer tries to make a payment to these scammers, they stop the transaction and suspend the card.
This all happened between 17.30 and 18.00 on Wednesday. I got my new debit card in the post this morning at about 9.30.
Now that's what I call good customer service!

Ana Fri 08-Jan-16 19:53:04

Do tell us the name of your bank, Indinana - it is allowed and such good service deserves publicity! smile

Jane10 Fri 08-Jan-16 21:30:34

Phew! Good bank. Thank goodness for their prompt action.

Indinana Fri 08-Jan-16 22:30:18

Oh yes, I should said - it was Barclays. No point giving my bank a big shout out and not saying who they are smile

Indinana Fri 08-Jan-16 22:31:50

er... I should have said.

Ana Fri 08-Jan-16 22:33:27

Oh good, they're who I bank with too and I've always found the all-round service excellent, especially at my local branch.

kittylester Sat 09-Jan-16 07:41:05

That's really good, Indinana.

I went to a hole in the wall out of my usual area and was unable to get any cash out. While I was getting cross, my mobile rang - it was the bank checking it was me trying to withdraw money. Spooky

Liz46 Sat 09-Jan-16 07:48:33

Just before Christmas my daughter received a text asking her to phone First Direct. Her card was still in her purse but someone was using it to make purchases in a department store!

whitewave Sat 09-Jan-16 07:56:48

Bank's fraud departments must be huge!

Anya Sat 09-Jan-16 08:23:32

I had a phone call from my bank HSBC after someone withdrew money in Milan using a cloned card at almost the same time as I withdrew cash in Stratford. Money refunded immediately and new card issued with 48 hours.

Must be loads of career opportunites in the Fraud Departments of banks.

NfkDumpling Sat 09-Jan-16 08:33:35

I bought a top up for DH's phone using my debit card (I have a phone contract). An hour later TSB rang to check all was ok. The trouble was it was a lady with a strong Indian accent - so I put the phone down. A few minutes later a chap rang (English accent), but it took him telling me of several other recent transactions before I'd believe he was really just checking it was me buying a suspicious phone too-up!

Welshwife Sat 09-Jan-16 09:22:59

A few years ago DD had a call from Marks and Spencer asking if she had been on a spending spree! They asked when she had last used her credit card - which was an Amazon purchase an hour or so previously - someone else had booked an expensive holiday and bought other luxury goods! DGD had a call a few weeks ago telling her that her card had been cloned and her account suspended till they got a new new card out to her.
I rarely use a debit card unless withdrawing cash and I do that inside a bank rather than a hole in the wall. The only regular exception to this is Costco where it has to be Debit card or cash - this is not the case in their American stores.
I think that most banks are far more security aware than they used to be - remember the days of the hand written statements and any overdrawn money in red!!!

Indinana Sat 09-Jan-16 09:33:15

Must be loads of career opportunities in the Fraud Departments of banks

I've come to this thread straight after bikergran's thread about her struggle to get a job and the sheer stupidity of her dealings with the JobCentre. And I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Bikergran where are you? Calling Bikergran smile