Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Bank accounts

(11 Posts)
Lyndyn Mon 14-Mar-16 19:28:35

My three children (all married), have a joint account for bills and their separate own accounts. They pay into the joint account a proportion of their income based on their earnings, to cover all the bills. We on the other hand have always had one joint account, all the incomes are paid in, and all the bills are paid out is this old fashioned? should we change?

tanith Mon 14-Mar-16 19:31:52

We both have our own accounts and a joint acc for bills etc since we've been together which is over 20yrs now and it works for us. I wouldn't change things just for the sake of it do what works for you Lyndyn.

Ana Mon 14-Mar-16 19:34:49

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/a1223109-who-holds-the-pursestrings

Very recent thread about this subject.

Wendysue Tue 15-Mar-16 04:10:06

Why should you change what's working for you, Lyndyn? (Unless it isn't.)

My DDs and SILs also have both joint and separate accounts, due to somewhat different spending habits, needs, etc. But DH and I have always had everything in both our names and I don't see any reason to change it.

Pippa000 Tue 15-Mar-16 06:11:28

The only advice my mother gave me before I got married was always have a separate bank account. I named mine 'Run Away Money' ( to keep DH on his toes.wink ) needless to say after 45 years marriage I have yet to use it for the designed purpose, but it is great to have money I can do what ever I like with.

loopylou Tue 15-Mar-16 06:40:54

We have separate accounts and split costs between us, it works so no intention after 39 years of changing. We had a joint account at one time but for various reasons it didn't suit ?

Anya Tue 15-Mar-16 07:11:40

We've always had separate bank accounts.

Anya Tue 15-Mar-16 07:12:07

And separate savings accounts.

M0nica Tue 15-Mar-16 07:22:18

We have always had separate accounts and a household account - and we have been married nearly 50 years.

I think you work out a system that suits you best.

My parents always had one joint account and my mother held the cheque book. This at a time when bank accounts were usually held in the husband's name or families were in a cash economy and men dolled out the weekly housekeeping.

Stansgran Tue 15-Mar-16 07:23:52

Sometimes I feel embarrassed about it and sometimes I don't but I have an account at every branch in the Market Place of our little town. I used to move accounts to follow interest rates and didn't close the accounts when I moved in case I needed them again. It drives DH mad when we do our annual accounting marathon in October. We have two joint accounts and I'm about to open another account. grin

M0nica Tue 15-Mar-16 07:41:20

I think life is much more complicated now. As I said we have three 'working' accounts, but we have another current account whose only purpose is to feed money in and out of an online saving account where the bank expects you to do that through one of their current accounts to get the best interest rate.

We have a holiday home in France and have a French bank account (joint) to pay all the bills there.

So that makes 5 bank accounts!