Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Funding for Open University

(27 Posts)
bartonlady Tue 22-Mar-16 20:00:04

Does anyone know if funding is available for study with the OU? I was stunned at how much a degree course costs. I acknowledge that I just want to study as I'm interested in the subjects rather than for job progression/career qualifications, and that its probably more important for any funding to be given to the young. I don't feel I can justify the cost at my age (66)

spyder08 Tue 22-Mar-16 20:35:22

Hi Bartonlady...sorry I don't have a direct answer to your question more a vote of agreement. I started a history degree course with the OU when each module was in the region of £600/700. I completed 3 modules, of the 6 required, then the price skyrocketed. Like you I cannot justify the cost purely for my own interest so sadly it has been shelved.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge of funding will help with your original query.

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 20:37:32

I know bartonlady!

As far as I know you definitely won't get funding if you don't have a degree and I think you only get help if you are unemployed.

If you aren't bothered about doing a degree I could suggest future learn which is free, admittedly not so stretching and only last for say 6 weeks but it is an alternative and better than nothing

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 20:40:30

That should have read no funding if you HAVE a degree! Watching tv at the same time sorry.

Ana Tue 22-Mar-16 20:46:19

I really don't see why OU study funding should be available for those of us in our retirement years.

I certainly wouldn't expect it when funding is so short in other areas.

durhamjen Tue 22-Mar-16 20:46:21

Are you going to watch The A Word, whitewave?

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 20:47:29

What's that?

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 20:48:52

Oh I know it's about autism isn't it. I have it to record

Ana Tue 22-Mar-16 20:53:54

And that's relevant to this thread how, exactly? confused

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 20:56:21

I was/am going to see the second episode of Obama

Grannyknot Tue 22-Mar-16 21:00:16

bartonlady do you want to do a course to degree level? If not look at the OU's Future Learn site, there are hundreds of courses, you can do an exam of you wish:
www.futurelearn.com/courses

Grannyknot Tue 22-Mar-16 21:00:33

If you wish ..m

durhamjen Tue 22-Mar-16 21:01:09

I've recorded that because my autistic grandson likes Obama and the Whitehouse, so we will watch it together.

Grannyknot Tue 22-Mar-16 21:01:44

Oops sorry again! Ignore the "m". smile

Ana Tue 22-Mar-16 21:18:35

Couldn't you have started a new thread on the TV, Radio, Film and Arts forum about a TV programme you're interested in durhamjen? And restrict your matey conversations to that instead of other threads?

mollie Tue 22-Mar-16 21:32:21

If memory serves me, if you are studying for a first degree and have a reduced/restricted income you can apply for some help from the OU...I don't know the exact details but they are available online. Alternatively you can apply for a student loan in the normal way or apply to pay the full fee in instalments. I don't think it matters if you are retired but support is really only for a first degree.

Grannyknot Tue 22-Mar-16 21:33:03

white wave sorry I see you offered the same advice as me - I didn't read your post properly because I thought it had to do with TV. blush

You can take an exam with some of the Future Learn courses, I'm enrolled for an exam in May for one of their courses.

whitewave Tue 22-Mar-16 21:35:25

That's OK granny multi tasking like me?

durhamjen Tue 22-Mar-16 22:05:09

I did an OU course back in the 80s. I seem to recall they were expensive even back then.

Is there still a WEA?

durhamjen Tue 22-Mar-16 22:08:38

Answered my own question; yes, there is.
You can do some courses free.

Teetime Wed 23-Mar-16 08:59:00

I love the OU and got my first degree with them and as someone has already said it used to be just about affordable but now its the same us other distance learning courses so sadly I like many people who would have carried on doing courses with them forever have decided its just too expensive.

whitewave Wed 23-Mar-16 09:58:49

Anybody know how long you are able to access courses on Futurelearn after they have finished? I signed up a few I really fancied then all the heart stuff got in the way and now gardening and going out in the lovely weather is taking more time, but I really want to do the courses

Elegran Wed 23-Mar-16 10:11:50

From their FAQ, whitewave -

"Can I access the course content after a course ends?

Usually, yes. We ask our university partners to make as much of their content as possible open and accessible afterwards to learners who are enrolled on the course. Occasionally there may be reasons why we have to remove some or all course material, but we try to avoid doing this.

We encourage learners to complete courses within two to four weeks of the end date. If you have not completed your course by this time, you might consider enrolling on the next run of the course so that you can participate in active discussions with other learners."

whitewave Wed 23-Mar-16 10:14:48

Oh thankyou yes re-enrolling sounds the better option

Izabella Wed 23-Mar-16 11:33:42

My last two were with the OU and I used a student loan for them to spread the costs. However when course fees rose the last time my dreams of an MA were kicked into touch. It is absolutely correct that if you already have a degree there is no funding available. Try looking at Future Learn which is part of the O.U. Alternatively look on eBay for second hand course books from the OU. Or just go for it!!