Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Dual citizenship

(32 Posts)
silverlining48 Thu 30-Jun-16 11:30:42

Following brexit there has been some talk of people ,in Ireland say ,applying for dual citizenship of an eu country. I am British but was born in Germany to a German mother so think I would be eligible as would my daughter and grandchildren who could benefit perhaps when they are adults. Has anyone experience of this? Would there be any point?

Bellanonna Thu 30-Jun-16 11:35:59

This was talked about on another thread. Apparently there has been a huge demand for Irish Republic passports. My daughters are applying for Italian passports for themselves and their children, so I'm guessing there must be some point. It would certainly facilitate travel to EU countries so no harm in going for it.

Badenkate Thu 30-Jun-16 11:37:05

I haven't any experience of dual citizenship but I do know that jobs in the EU go preferentially to EU citizens if they are appropriately qualified. So that maybe something for them to keep in mind.

M0nica Thu 30-Jun-16 19:49:45

Not allcountries allow people to be citizens of another country as well, but I am sure the website of the London embay of the countries invovled will contain the information

silverlining48 Sat 02-Jul-16 19:30:55

Yes I have looked on the websites sadly not very clear and wasn't able to find out anything Helpful relating to my particulR position. I am sure with more detective work I can find more out but wondered if anyone else in a similar situation could advise.

jakeconnor Sat 19-Oct-19 18:04:51

Terms for citizenship have changed through the centuries. There was a time that a <a href="https://www.high-net-worth-immigration.com/uk-citizenship-by-investment">person</a> had to male and own land in order to be a citizen (ie Rome, Greece).

faithlily Mon 21-Oct-19 08:19:22

I believe we need to have an immigration reform now! It's necessary. The answer is not in sending illegal immigrants back to their <a href="https://www.high-net-worth-immigration.com/ireland-citizenship-by-investment">countries</a>, and it's not in legalizing all of them either.

faithlily Mon 21-Oct-19 08:20:28

I believe we need to have an immigration reform now! It's necessary. The answer is not in sending illegal immigrants back to their countries, and it's not in legalizing all of them either.
www.high-net-worth-immigration.com/ireland-citizenship-by-investment

CoolioC Fri 22-Nov-19 15:18:29

People should look very carefully at Dual citizenship, especially as they think they are doing their children a favour. For example, France has bought it in through the backdoor to relieve high unemployment of youngsters. Those with dual nationality will also get the call up. I do believe that other EU countries have done this also.

CoolioC Fri 22-Nov-19 15:19:50

I apologise, I am talking about Conscription.

ToniSH Fri 22-Nov-19 16:51:20

I'm a dual citizen but US-UK. It's not the UK that bans dual with other countries, but the other country. I know people who are US-German, so they don't ban all countries. Perhaps check on the German embassy web site?
As well as serving in a standing army, you should look at taxation. For example, US citizens have to file a tax return no matter where they live in the world. Even if you don't end up owing any tax, the paperwork is horrendous.
Also - not all citizenship extends to grandchildren. My kids were born in the US and have British through me, but they are British by descent and it won't extend to their children. All countries are different on that.

polyester57 Fri 22-Nov-19 17:35:48

re: onscription, no need to panic. My children are dual Austrian/British, so my son should be eligible for military service in Austria, where there is still conscription. On the other hand, there is a clause, saying that to serve in the army you should be resident in Austria, as he is not and doesn´t even speak German, he doesn´t have to.

Humbertbear Sat 23-Nov-19 09:41:37

Silverlining48 Germany and Poland both advertise that they will issue passports for dual citizenship to those who are eligible.

Camellia20 Sat 23-Nov-19 09:52:39

I voted Remain in the referendum for many reasons. I have always considered myself a UK citizen and an EU citizen. I am keen that my children and grandchildren maintain the right to live and work in EU countries. I have good friends who voted differently and have worked hard to maintain those friendships. Am I being unreasonable to feel rather upset and conflicted that some of those leave-voting friends are busy applying for Irish/French/Spanish passports so that their families can benefit from EU membership?

Authoress Sat 23-Nov-19 09:55:54

I need to fill in a US tax return - and queue up in the embassy in London every 3 years to get an "alien" tax number - just because I sell books in the US. PITA.
I could apply for Irish citizenship through my grandmother, and then if I lived in Ireland for a period of time, my children and grandchildren would have the same rights. If we leave the EU I think I will do that.

Riggie Sat 23-Nov-19 10:58:35

DH and DS can apply for dual Irish citizenship by "descent" as fil is irish. However I can't, because theres a residence condition for a spouse.

Nanny41 Sat 23-Nov-19 11:30:51

Funny this thread should come up today.I am in the middle of a long process to obtain Swedish citizenship,it entails leaving your Passport in for an indefinate period, this I dont like,I feel I am stranded here!
I have lived here for fifty years and it hasnt been possible until quite recently, to have Dual Nationality, but with Brexit looming, it will make life easier when coming back and forth to Sweden to have a Swedish Passport, also entering certain EU contries.I only hope the authorities here prioritise Brits,I want my passport back!
Good Luck to anyone else thinking of applying for dual nationality anywhere else.

Patticake123 Sat 23-Nov-19 11:33:34

Two of my grandchildren are US citizens and their British parents were going to apply for British citizenship so the children could have the benefit of working within Europe. Since Brexit they’ve changed their minds saying what’s the point, the children would only be able to work in the U.K. and as a country we will cease to be a major player on the world stage.

Sputnik Sat 23-Nov-19 11:34:31

Reclaiming German citizenship is possible if you are a direct descendant of a German citizen who escaped from or was killed by Nazi atrocities. It takes up to 2 years though and there are a few ifs and buts. This would not affect UK citizenship, my son even has triple citizenship.

Nanny41 Sat 23-Nov-19 11:36:02

Forgot to mention my children are Swedish as my Husband was Swedish, they will not be affected by anything,but only I will have dual nationality,they wont need it. I wonder when entering the UK as visitors how things will work out for everyone from the EU,time will tell.

mokryna Sat 23-Nov-19 12:48:58

I wasn't allowed to vote but ditto Camellia20 Am I being unreasonable to feel rather upset and conflicted that some of those leave-voting friends are busy applying for Irish/French/Spanish passports so that their families can benefit from EU membership?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 23-Nov-19 14:21:39

I think you need to contact the German Embassy and find out what the advantages and disadvantages of dual citizenship would be and whether your are entitled to it.

I live in a country that doesn't allow dual citizenship, so I have no first hand experience, but you need to look into things like health insurance, pensions, income tax and whether your children if they are granted dual citizenship would be liable for military service.

helgawills Sat 23-Nov-19 14:31:53

Germany does not permit dual nationality once Britain has left the EU, only to EU citizens

CoolioC Sat 23-Nov-19 14:36:56

Grandetante65
I agree with you, people need to especially check about National Service. Someone mentioned about Austria and that her son is resident so it doesn’t apply. In some countries this doesn’t matter, if you have dual nationality and live in another country you may still be liable to serve national service for your dual nationality country. France, I think, this may apply but with so many EU countries now starting conscription again really parents need to look at this.

crystaltipps Sat 23-Nov-19 15:00:49

I’m looking to get an Irish passport by virtue of long dead gf but it’s quite a long process. It will be worth it from a psychological POV. People born in NI can opt for an Irish passport, seems they have freedoms the rest of us aren’t entitled to.