Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Reclaiming PPI

(28 Posts)
OldMeg Sun 12-Aug-18 16:36:54

I’ve already claimed back a 5-figure sum on our mortgage alone. Then I heard Martin Lewis mention claiming back for dead relatives. I hadn’t realised this was possible, but I’ve just successfully had another 5-figure claim approved on my late brother’s estate despite the fact that he died intestate.

I wonder how many are missing out? The banks are certainly reluctant to give back but I can’t help but think many people are entitled to a considerable pay-out and don’t realise it. Better in your bank account than the banks hanging on to it!

Incidentally I didn’t go through any of those firm that keep advertising. You have until August 2019.

ninathenana Sun 12-Aug-18 17:18:55

Well done.
I'm struggling to get PIP for my son at the moment and it's not the first attempt sad
Wouldn't have even thought of claiming a refund for my deceased mum. Too much hassle.

minesaprosecco Sun 12-Aug-18 17:22:48

Think you've got PIP mixed up with PPI ninathenana. Hope you manage to get PIP for your son.

OldMeg Sun 12-Aug-18 17:26:21

Oh dear, it does get confusing doesn’t it? I mean Payment Protection Insurance. Must be thousands of people who don’t realise they are due a refund.

FlexibleFriend Sun 12-Aug-18 17:42:54

I know I'm not because I never took it out in the first place. Tbh I'm shocked at the number of people who did.

OldMeg Sun 12-Aug-18 17:54:47

Hey FF I thought the same! I left claiming until this year. I honestly thought I had none. I only put in a claim when I couldn’t sleep one night and came across a Martin Lewis website and filled in a form just because I was awake and I thought ‘why not’?

Mine had been added to my mortgage payement without my knowledge.

That’s the whole point....many people simply weren’t informed this had been added. Or it was slipped past them quite quickly as part of the payment.

Charleygirl Sun 12-Aug-18 18:07:31

The first time I applied I was told that I was owed zilch. I tried a few months later with a different company and discovered like OldMeg that it had been added to my mortgage without my knowledge. As I had paid off my mortgage in 2002, that was a long way back.

I received 1/3, nearly £2000. 1/3 went to the company, 1/3 to the Inland Revenue and the remainder to me. It was money which I had not had so it was a bonus.

OldMeg Sun 12-Aug-18 18:16:03

Charley my best friend was told quite forcefully that she could only claim for 6 years back. But she persisted and was given £12,000 + (after tax)

Well done you!

FlexibleFriend Sun 12-Aug-18 19:14:16

No, I would like a refund but I know OldMeg that I've absolutely never had it so I can't claim it back sadly.

mcem Sun 12-Aug-18 19:26:22

FF I said the same. Are you so sure because you have actually checked or are you simply sure in your own mind?
I always refused PPI but like Oldmeg finally gave in and enquired, expecting nothing.
Also like Oldmeg I found it had been added when I switched mortgage post divorce and that was despite the fact that I clearly remember saying no!
I was furious and pleased at the same time!

FlexibleFriend Sun 12-Aug-18 19:55:29

Well I was always certain I'd never had it but when getting divorced in 2014 and feeling a bit skint one of them caught me at a low moment and I had it checked and it came back as expected, nope, nothing.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Aug-18 20:00:26

FF you don’t know because you don’t take it out it’s added on without your knowledge so you can’t be so sure I only got a tiny bit back compared to those other stories but I had never never knowingly had a ppi but on claiming I got £70 back on a credit card I had been pressurised into opening when standing in a Ryanair queue I used it once then closed it down that was about ten years ago so had even forgotten about even having it Then I got £6 from studio cards I d only bought a few rolls of paper from my grandkids scouts who were raising money by selling Studio stuff
So unless you actually look into it you cannot be sure and might be missing a few pounds or a flipping treasure trove

BlueBelle Sun 12-Aug-18 20:03:43

The other thing FF when they found my credit card ppi I was told that there was it nothing else and it was only a few weeks back I got a letter from Studio saying you might have money owing you and I did only 6 squid but it didn’t show up on the first check up !!!

OldMeg Sun 12-Aug-18 20:11:49

one of them caught me at a low moment ???

Don’t understand that.

Jalima1108 Sun 12-Aug-18 20:44:28

I intend to have a look, but we do get rid of paperwork - do you need past records?

Chewbacca Sun 12-Aug-18 20:57:23

Right! You've inspired me OldMeg! With nothing better to do this evening, ive been on MSE websire and completed the applications for an old bank account and an old building society account. No idea if there's anything there but... Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'll let you know how I get on.

.Jalima I've got absolutely no documentation, simply because the accounts I had go back to the 1980s and even I don't keep paperwork that long!

Jalima1108 Sun 12-Aug-18 20:58:57

I will have to rely on memory!

FlexibleFriend Sun 12-Aug-18 21:14:58

I said I always refused it and checked I wasn't paying it and then sick of being pestered I gave in and had it checked and I'd never paid it, just as I thought. So as much as I might like a windfall I can't reclaim what I've never paid.
A low moment - a point of low resistance.

OldMeg Sun 12-Aug-18 21:56:06

Good on you Chewbacca yes, would love to hear if you succeed. Most people don’t bother because they can’t remember or have no paperwork.

I had no idea what my brother paid either, but there turned out to be 4 insurances with PPI on each.

M0nica Sun 12-Aug-18 22:17:32

DD got about £4,000 on her credit card. It came direct from the product supplier. She did not need to apply for it.

We are like FlexibleFriend, we know we have never paid PPI because we always turned it down when it was offered and I always checked all the paperwork and statements to make sure that card issuers/banks/building societies hadn't snuck in any extra charges that we hadn't agreed to.

You do not need any paperwork to make a claim. Claims handlers do all the searching for you. They have even discovered money due from accounts people had forgotten they had.

mcem Sun 12-Aug-18 22:37:27

I queried a couple of store cards and the search unearthed the mortgage PPI which I know I turned down so please, assume nothing!

annodomini Sun 12-Aug-18 23:26:30

Claims handling companies charge a huge commission if the claim is successful, in my case, 25%. Be warned!

ninathenana Sun 12-Aug-18 23:57:28

Not mixed up, grin I know the difference.
I just didn't read the title properly

Stupid me blushblush

OldMeg Mon 13-Aug-18 07:31:27

I agree anno it’s so easy to do it yourself, but I suppose if you don’t feel confident the 75% is better than nothing.

nina ?

Charleygirl Mon 13-Aug-18 07:41:40

Jalima you do nothing, somebody else does the hard graft. All you do is sign the odd paper every now and again. I had no paperwork, they did the searching.