Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

E mail re item I bought 3 years ago.

(17 Posts)
Marieeliz Wed 26-Sep-18 18:58:50

I am annoyed, I purchased, three years ago a Shark steam cleaner. I gave my bank details for 3 monthly payments of £33.13.

Recently I received an e mail saying that they could not access my card, it had been replaced, for a payment. I initially ignored it but it came 3 more times. I replied and said the item was purchased 3 years ago and had practically worn out. It seems, after I e mailed them that they did not, for some reason, best known to them take the final payment. I did not notice. They are asking for my new card details.

I would usually just pay up but 3 years after I bought it. I do think, as it is their mistake, although it goes against the grain they should apologise and let it go. What do others think?

Situpstraight1 Wed 26-Sep-18 19:01:48

I would send them a cheque for the outstanding amount, if only to stop them pestering you, I wouldn’t give my card details to them though.

BlueBelle Wed 26-Sep-18 19:37:27

Well they are very lax waiting three years before they remember that you owe it, but if you owe it, you owe it so yes just send a cheque easiest you don’t want them taking it further

FlexibleFriend Wed 26-Sep-18 19:42:54

I think you should pay for it, you've had the use of it for 3 years so why wouldn't you?

OldMeg Wed 26-Sep-18 20:18:31

You owe it.

grumppa Wed 26-Sep-18 20:29:39

First check your bank statements to make sure only two payments were collected.

M0nica Wed 26-Sep-18 20:53:52

You owe it, but most organisations would not chase you up like this, so long after the purchase, particularly as it was their error that caused the non-payment.

Nanabilly Wed 26-Sep-18 21:26:28

If you don't want someone knocking on your doors in a few months or another 3 years time for what was a small amount but has possibly now increased to £100+ then you should pay up . You know they did not take it as you said they failed to take the final payment.

Melanieeastanglia Wed 26-Sep-18 22:18:11

Perhaps check your bank statements to make sure they didn't take the third payment. If they didn't take it, you owe the money so send a cheque to them. If you don't, they will chase you for it and it could have nasty repercussions.

Pippa000 Wed 26-Sep-18 22:43:22

Please check that this is not a fraudulent email asking for your account details. It sounds very suspicious please do nit give your card details until you have contacted the company do not respond to the e-mail till you check.

Pippa000 Wed 26-Sep-18 22:43:51

sorry not not nit ( predictive text !!!!!)

Marieeliz Wed 26-Sep-18 23:03:16

Yes, cannot believe it has taken them three years exactly this month. I do not want them to have my new card details. I honestly would not recommend that particular steam cleaner. I have not checked my bank details yet.

I initially did think it was a scam. They have requested I ring their UK office with my new bank card details not a chance I will send a cheque. If the final payment wasn't taken their systems must be faulty.

jeanie99 Thu 27-Sep-18 08:51:29

If you have checked that the payment is correct and you have not paid why would you not pay.
Whatever the reasons for the business not collecting you still own the money.
I personally wouldn't even give it a second thought of not paying.
The fact that the steamer is not something you would recommend is a different issue. If you had a problem with the cleaner you should have taken this us with the company when it was still in guarantee.

Nannarose Thu 27-Sep-18 09:01:48

I would definitely send a cheque, so they don't have your card details, and do check your records if you have or can get them.

I looked into this a few years ago, and unless the law has changed, they can chase you for up to 6 years, so they are within the time frame, even if it is lax.
I was contacted by an institution that claimed I owed them money 5 years after doing a course there. I knew they had been paid (it was a substantial sum to me, and I would have known if it hadn't been collected) but the bank archived records after 2 years and wanted a fee to search the archives.
I was moaning to a friend, and included the moan that the institution was being absorbed into another. He was an accountant and seized on that, saying 'oh, they're going through the records and tying up loose ends - just try writing to say that your records show it has been paid'.
I did and received a curt letter saying the matter was closed. My friend explained that they just needed my letter on record!

stree Thu 27-Sep-18 17:07:38

Pay up, or risk debt being passed on and bailiffs or a black mark against credit rating.

Marieeliz Thu 27-Sep-18 23:17:12

I have asked them for the address to send I cheque to I have, as yet, not had a reply.

Marieeliz Thu 27-Sep-18 23:18:38

Just feel that, with all the scams about, in the original e mails they should have explained the situation. Not just ask for my card details to be sent.