Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Overseas money scam

(6 Posts)
H1954 Sat 12-Jan-19 15:39:46

I have literally just received an email from West Africa asking me, well more like begging me, to assist in the recovery of 10 million USD from the Libyan Government!

Of course, I have no intention of responding to the email in any way whatsoever but feel I should report it, but not sure exactly who to report it to. Any ideas GN?

phoenix Sat 12-Jan-19 15:44:20

Such a frequent scam, but try reporting it to Action Fraud (at least I think that's what they are called).

M0nica Sat 12-Jan-19 15:45:08

Gosh, have they revived this old scam. I think the Nigerian scam, as it was, was one of the first ever scams about 20 years ago. I thought it had stopped because everyone became wise to it.

Still there must be a new generation of greedy fools grown up who will have been too young to fall for it first time round, possibly still in nappies then.

annsixty Sat 12-Jan-19 15:53:11

One of my first posts to GN was about this very scam, I was getting several a week.
This was about 6 years ago.
I haven't had one since that first flurry.

H1954 Sat 12-Jan-19 16:23:18

Thank you Phoenix, I've looked at Action Fraud and you're correct, it's the right place to report it. Got to do it on a desktop computer as the form online isn't compatible with tablets.

GabriellaG54 Sat 12-Jan-19 18:49:45

H1954
I wouldn't bother. They get hundreds of thousands of emails for that scam so they're well aware of it. It just gets logged. A waste of your time as they do nothing.