Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Rise in living wage

(68 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 18:47:04

News this afternoon includes Philip Hammond announcing plans for a rise in the living wage to £9.61ph, making Britain's minimum wage, the highest in the world.
Net of tax, a single person would take home about £320 for a 38hr week.
That should make quite a few people happy. No more poverty wages.
Employers will have to find the money from somewhere or look to the back economy.

moggie57 Mon 06-May-19 13:11:39

got to be a catch somwhere....

notanan2 Mon 06-May-19 13:35:46

How will this work unless public service wages are increased too, which they wont be. How will we recruit nurses if the starting wage is less than £1/hr more than basic wage?

If feels like a gimmick.

IMO the much LESS simple task of sorting out the rental market would improve more lives

notanan2 Mon 06-May-19 13:42:07

it would make nurses etc worse off than people on min wage once student loan payments are taken away. Nobody will do it.

Its not, IMO the hourly wage that matters in practical terms. Its regional property bubbles, unfair contracts, all that other complex stuff that cant be sorted with one swift action.

Raising the hourly rate alone (without tackling the complex stuff) will force employers to offer fewer full time permanant contracts etc... leaving people worse off than before

In my region, business rates are crippling. Busy/popular businesses are being forced to shut because of rates. They will just fold that bit sooner of wages are raised without the wrap around changes that would support it

notanan2 Mon 06-May-19 13:42:53

You cant solve social issues with one little neat election gimmick like this.

pita Mon 06-May-19 14:33:29

Well as my disabled husbands full time carer I am only entitled to get carers Allowance, which works out at £63 a week. My money has been frozen due to this governments austerity for over 6 years. So I for one would love to have even the minimum hourerly wage that people are paid now for doing the same job I do 24/7.

gillybob Mon 06-May-19 14:42:20

I broke the law every month by not paying myself the legal minimum wage

Yes me and DH too GillT57 and I don’t think we are in any way unusual .

grandtanteJE65 Mon 06-May-19 14:44:17

Just like to point out that £9.61 would not be the highest minimum wage in the world. In Denmark the minimum is the equivalent of £12, 59 at today's rate of exchange.

Perhaps you should take politicians' assurances with a grain of salt.

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 15:17:51

It was in a newspaper report that the proposed rise to £9.61ph was the highest minimum wage worldwide. It was not quoted as being from the Chancellor.

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 15:35:46

pita
Yes...it's unfortunate that family caring for family can never be valued on the same pay scale as employees. sad

Happychops Mon 06-May-19 20:25:00

Some employers reduce staff hours when the minimum wage goes up.

Harris27 Mon 06-May-19 21:50:24

I'm on £8.30 qualified nursery nurse worked for same place 17 years. Just had rise.

Harris27 Mon 06-May-19 21:51:21

Yes they do happychops.

GabriellaG54 Mon 06-May-19 22:55:46

Philip Hammond can't be so daft that he hasn't thought long and hard about the possible consequences which some posters have mentioned.
Reduced hours, higher prices, small companies just can't afford to pay more and reduced hours means people will turn to top up benefits. Back to square 1.

knickas63 Mon 06-May-19 23:34:21

No one should work full time and struggle to choose between food on the table or a roof over their head. If employers cannot pay a living wage and their employees have to supplement with benefits, they are not fit go be employers. Benefits paid to people who work come from our pockets, meaning we are supplementing the employers who are failing in their responsibilities. However, it is always the employees who are castigated when people moan about benefits, never the employers.

4allweknow Tue 07-May-19 00:11:58

That will be why there is such an (allegedly) black economy. Very few trades people provide invoices and they all want cash in hand. Of course profits will drop and will affect small businesses, a lot are now running as one man bands as they can't afford staff. Dream on!

pen50 Tue 07-May-19 06:37:09

I work for a charity that pays the Living Wage as a minimum (currently £9 per hour) and I can say with absolute certainty that we will suffer hugely if that rise is put through. There will have to be redundancies.

maryeliza54 Tue 07-May-19 07:11:20

This is a complete non story, a dead cat, stirring up worries and anxieties needlessly. PH is a dad man walking, This will not happen. God it’s so easy to wind up some people isn’t it? Why not worry about something real that is happening?