Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

cheapy holiday tips

(45 Posts)
maisyann Tue 21-May-19 09:52:27

here are my top 10 tips;

1. a carry on case is often put in the hold at the gate with priority boarding thrown in for free and saves paying for bag in the hold.

2. book combo of hotel and Airbnb. 3 days all inclusive plus 4 personalised stay days where you can taste city life or luxury stay and makes for a varied holiday.

3. pinch itineraries and book hotels individually mixing cheap and posh and use buses for transfer. Most day trips can be arranged on the ground and then tailored for weather and preference.

4. bring a food bag with essentials and keep stocked with basics then buy tasters of countrys specialities. Pack mini mixed herbs gloves of garlic salt and then buy fruit rolls ham etc on route.

5. travel as light as possible. Wear layers through gate packing using pockets, layer up jewellery, wear sunhats and swim wear and heaviest shoes.

6. forget duty free google fav items before you go and buy copies. pre buy gifts and booze cheaper in local supermarkets.

7. Best way to get a nice room is to be patient and subservient at reception accept a late book in and you will be rewarded with free food and upgrades. If early just ask to put cases in locker room and use pool facilities you are wearing your swimmers anyway.

8. You can always ask politely for a better view etc and offer to change mid stay with a pleasant reminder at quiet times.

9. If you have misjudged the weather etc charity shops are great for buying missing items, books, sun cream, towels, suitcases, gifts and also great source of local knowledge.

10. Eat away from the maddening crowd, just off the beach at supermarket cafes, shopping malls and have a plastic bag if dining out for food leftovers for later and remember your packed lunch for journey home.

These tips will easily half the cost of your holiday and what are yours ?

Urmstongran Tue 21-May-19 10:00:36

I’m just giggling at the thought of travelling in my Lycra swimming cossie whilst going through the airport lounge in a sun hat and walking boots!
?

Riverwalk Tue 21-May-19 10:03:31

Can't stand cheapskates!

DoraMarr Tue 21-May-19 10:23:55

I had enough cheap holidays when my children were little, so now I go for comfort over cost . However, my tips are:
Travel by train. This makes the trip part of the holiday, and can often be cheaper than air travel. Sites like Loco2 show you the best fares: we have travelled from Paris to the Spanish border for €50 each first class. Plus, the train takes you right to the centre: no airport transfers.
Buy freshly made filled baguettes at the railway station- cheaper and much nicer than on- board catering. Take a bottle of wine too.
Conversely, coach travel is often cheaper and quicker than train travel within a country. Bilbao to Santander by coach was direct, comfortable and cost about £3.50 each.
If the hotel has a loyalty scheme, join. You can often get discounts and room upgrades.
Book the cheapest room you’d be happy with at a good hotel, then ask nicely for an upgrade when you arrive. This usually works out cheaper than booking a more expensive room beforehand. We had a huge sea front room with a balcony for an extra €30 a night in San Sebastián.
Expensive restaurants often have prix fixe lunchtime menus. Restaurants in museums are often good value: in the Guggenheim in Bilbao, for instance, and the Museum of wine in Bordeaux.
Sleeper trains can be a great way to travel long distances, and combine travel with a night’s accommodation.
Similarly, the ferry back to Portsmouth cost £400 for the largest cabin, with a balcony, sitting area and room service breakfast. A fun journey home.

RedRidingHood Tue 21-May-19 10:31:00

Sorry but I couldn't be bothered. If I can't afford the holiday I want I will choose a cheaper one that doesn't require penny pinching to dominate the whole thing.
I am never going to travel with just hand luggage.
I want a taxi not a bus.
I would rather have a week of luxury than three weeks of making do.

keffie Tue 21-May-19 11:01:00

Each to their own. For some finding the deals and best way to do things cheaper is part of the excitement of the holiday.

I do one or two of the things, maisyann does, though not all and not got any intention of doing more.

Great post for those on a budget who want to get away and save some money.

Shortlegs Tue 21-May-19 11:07:37

After years of scrimping my partner and I are in the position where we can afford a little bit of spoiling, so thanks for the advice but I'm out.

Jane10 Tue 21-May-19 11:14:08

I'd rather stay at home than go through all that palaver to save a little on the price of a holiday.
Eat in supermarket cafes further from the beach and wear clothes bought in local charity shops?! Not a chance. Not what I go on holiday for!

DoraMarr Tue 21-May-19 11:16:23

I agree, keffie, and when I was younger I hitched everywhere, slept in youth hostels, and lived on bread and wine, because it was the only way I could afford to travel. When the children were little we rarely holidayed abroad, always went self- catering, and hired cheap cottages and beach chalets. The children have very happy memories, but now I’m older and, let’s face it, with only a few years left of being able to travel far, I’m spending my hard- earned savings on nice holidays. I still look for bargains: for instance, the 5* hotel we stayed at recently in San Sebastián was less than half the price it would have been in high season, and since I don’t want a lounging on a beach holiday that was fine. I also enjoy planning trips myself- so easy now with the internet- and because I like travelling by train, which is cheap on the continent, I enjoy finding the best deals by booking in advance. Our recent 12 day holiday in France and Spain, staying in 4and5 hotels, including first class travel, all meals and drinks, museum entry etc cost £1,250 each. Not cheap, but not bad.

maisyann Tue 21-May-19 11:24:45

Maybe tankini so you can go to the loo covered by light layers and walking boots great look and who cares if it gets you the holiday you want. How about a pic next time you go away and me as well to put my money where my mouth is.

maisyann Tue 21-May-19 11:28:28

Yes I annoy lots of people but I just love a bargain and would love to know why you hate us cheapskates,

Beckett Tue 21-May-19 11:31:12

I am guessing part of the enjoyment for maisyann is getting a bargain - good for her. For me it's the best I can afford (DH always used to say I never liked to be more than 10 minutes from room service!).

maisyann Tue 21-May-19 11:36:50

Yes point taken but that's why I called it cheapy holidays and I am the opposite to you I would rather go away cheaply than stay at home. We do 1 night 5 star sometimes in the middle of a holiday booking last minute ( with a deal ) arrive early and leave late so we get 2 full days of poshness and fine dinning.

maisyann Tue 21-May-19 11:43:15

love your tips DoraMarr we travel by train as well as Hubby worked for the railways and sometimes get discounts. Great tip about small room then asking for upgrade must try that one.

maisyann Tue 21-May-19 11:49:34

yes Red Riding Hood that's what a lot of my friends say but for us its all part of the fun of the holiday and bus travel following the tourist trails is great fun because you meet a locals and fellow cheapy tourists and recently in Greece we paid 1 euro as pensioners for the whole day clicking on and off.

Houndi Tue 21-May-19 11:51:23

I agree with not kicking up a fuss if room not ready.I always getcto the hotel earlier.Told room not ready never make any fuss tell them i am early and always get a room upgrade i have even been upgradedxto a suite in Dubai.When i left i thank them and saidvhow much i enjoyed and appericated it and it would be lovely if the same happened on my returnvjourney as i was going onwardsxto Australia.Guess what on the way back given junior suite.A smile and apperication goes a long way

maisyann Tue 21-May-19 11:58:28

cheapy not for you short legs on holiday but do you do cheapy in other ways or are you a top dollar girl in every way ?

maisyann Tue 21-May-19 12:03:15

I think Jane10 I love the challenge and if I paid top dollar for anything it would be a bad day for me. My classy friends despair.!!

maisyann Tue 21-May-19 12:07:04

Good tip Houdini will try that 1.

Christingle Tue 21-May-19 12:13:39

Love that you do this but not for me.
Holidays are the one time that I think nothing of what I spend. If I want it I have it and love a bit of luxury.

SillyNanny321 Tue 21-May-19 12:47:15

What is a Holiday???? Havent had one in sooo long I have forgotten what that is Lol!!!!

Nanny41 Tue 21-May-19 12:55:39

I am old enough to want comfort.We go on independant holidays, never package deals, we love planning everything ourselves and have never missed out.However recently on a visit to the UK I flew from the North of England to Cornwall for a few days with only hand luggage, it was marvellous, only snag was I couldnt buy much!

Legs55 Tue 21-May-19 13:41:23

I haven't had a holiday for 4 years & that was a train holiday, only a short break otherwise my "holidays" are spent visiting my Mum in Yorkshire. The good thing about driving is I don't have to worry too much about packing can't go by train as Mum lives in a village with no shops/public transport/pub

There is some consolation living in Devon I've got plenty of coast & country to visit within a day, No flying for me too much hassle

maryhoffman37 Tue 21-May-19 14:32:06

I would much prefer to pay for hold luggage than to do all that!

Lazigirl Tue 21-May-19 14:47:59

DoraMarr I agree with you about train travel abroad and Loco2 is a great site. We tend to travel off season, not keen on hot weather, and have travelled round Spain and Greek islands in the winter. Spanish Paradores are great for a few days of luxury many situated in interesting buildings. They didn't use to charge more over Christmas, not sure if that's still the case. They have special rates for over 60s.