Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Cash back

(28 Posts)
kittylester Fri 24-May-19 06:44:36

I have seen references on here and in the papers about Cash Back sites. Can someone explain (in very simple terms!!) how they work. And, the best ones.

Thank you!

BlueBelle Fri 24-May-19 07:50:52

kitty thanks so much for this I was also wondering I get emails for cash off deals as a charity worker and they were inviting me to ‘cash back’ but I had no idea of what it entails or if it’s worth doing x

Pittcity Fri 24-May-19 08:05:51

Cash back sites, such as Quidco and Topcashback are simple to use.
You join and then whenever you are shopping online you search on the cashback site and click through to the shop you want and buy as normal.
You receive your cashback after some time either direct to your bank or as an online voucher.
When buying insurance etc you can get quite large sums.

Moocow Fri 24-May-19 08:11:21

Do they really work? I gave up as never enough built up to get any cash back.

Pittcity Fri 24-May-19 08:19:58

I use them regularly. You can download a reminder that pops up if you are browsing. You can also register your cards and earn in a few real shops.
It doesn't cost you anything, even premium membership is paid for by a small deduction from your earnings, and after you've set it up it's no hassle. So it's something for nothing really.....as long as you're only buying what you would've bought already.

BlueBelle Fri 24-May-19 08:29:33

Deduction from earnings ? but I don’t earn
The message I got sounded simpler like you just used you card when doing your weekly shop to get some cash back how naive am I ?

kittylester Fri 24-May-19 08:36:56

Is premium membership worth it? What are the benefits? Do you belong to just one or 2?

Sorry!!

cornergran Fri 24-May-19 08:42:34

Can’t help with premium membership kitty but I have used topcashback (when I remember) and it is simple enough. Just access the site you want via the topcashback site and job done. I have found it can take ages to actually get the cash paid, it usually comes as a nice surprise.

Luckygirl Fri 24-May-19 08:43:32

I have no idea at all what you are all talking about!!!! confused

Pittcity Fri 24-May-19 08:52:01

Premium on Quidco gives you no ads and a bonus when you withdraw as a voucher eg. If you withdraw £10 you can get a £11 voucher
It is £5 a year if you earn more than £5, they don't ask you to pay.
I have looked back and I earn just over £100 a year on normal things like insurance, eBay, Amazon etc.

Pittcity Fri 24-May-19 08:55:59

I belong to several but use Quidco most as I have added their pop up reminder and like corner I often forget.

kittylester Fri 24-May-19 09:07:00

Can you access all sites through them eg M&S, Seasalt, Joules, Amazon?

TwiceAsNice Fri 24-May-19 09:10:13

I use Quidco when I remember. Go on their site and find the shop you are buying from click on it and it will take you to the shops own site. Buy what you want as normal. It will store your total money on the Quidco website. Check it regularly and it will show you if the money is “tracking” which means it’s processing the amount. When this is done you will see the word tracked against that purchase. When there is money accumulated from several purchases you click the button for that and a few days later it’s in your bank account. If it an ordinary rather than premium account it’s all free. You obviously have to register like an on line shopping site and give your bank details

TwiceAsNice Fri 24-May-19 09:12:01

Kitty Lester most major stores /sites are included. Amazon does not always give as much as others

Pittcity Fri 24-May-19 09:17:45

This week's example...17p from Quidco for buying an M&S bra.....it won't make you rich!

cossybabe Fri 24-May-19 10:06:51

I use topcashback and have received over £400 in 1 year, I love it

Teacheranne Fri 24-May-19 10:15:02

I haven't use any cash back sites but I have a Tesco credit card which I use all the time, including for food shopping. I then get vouchers from my points every quarter which I mainly use to pay for my RAC membership each year. I recently started shopping in our local coop as well because it is easier for me to park close to the shop. I got a card ( for £1 I think) and now I get some credit each time I shop. It soon adds up, I now have enough to buy a bottle of gin next time I go!

genie10 Fri 24-May-19 10:51:50

I use Topcashback for renewing my internet or house/car insurance and for the occasional large purchase. You can get quite a decent sum back but cashback offers do vary, so not every retailer has offers on at the same time. I just got £70 off my broadband provider when I switched through the site. For some things it may only be a few pounds.

pamhill4 Fri 24-May-19 11:13:12

As PittCity says, it’s simple to use cash back sites. I favour TopCashback personally and am a Premium member ie I pay £5 a year but get better cash back discounts, pay outs and deals that more than cover the £5 I pay. It’s sooo simple to shop either online or directly in shops with the app (just show at till and get cash back). I see what sites are offering deals for what I’m after and then click through to the best one. I do it for nights away in hotels, insurance, clothes, household and Ebay. I’ll see if I can attach a photo of my earnings for the past 5 years I’ve been a member £800+) and pennies really do turn into pounds in my experience.

vickya Fri 24-May-19 11:34:08

I use the Tescoone and get vouchers, also the Morrions one and get cash off codes. Then I have john Lewis credit card and now and then get vouchers for £15 off JL or Waitrose shopping.

SeaWatcher Fri 24-May-19 11:34:11

Quidco works very well although sometimes I forget to use it.

newnanny Fri 24-May-19 12:37:16

I use Topcashback and it is very simple to use. When you want to buy anything online click on to your Topcashback account, which is easy to set up and no fees, and then type what you want into search box eg. house insurance. Then you will get a list of house insurance sites including comparison sites and against each one it will tell you how much you can save. For example one may offer 5% another £10 cashback another £70 cashback. I only started after Xmas because my daughter wanted to introduce me as then she got a bonus payment. In just 5 months I have earned £142. I am saving it all up until next Xmas. I introduced my son and got a £7.50 introduction bonus and he got a £5 starting bonus. I have not bought anything I would not have bought anyway. I have bought house insurance, car insurance through comparison site, new washing machine at curry's, several things from Amazon and Ebay and pet products. I think by Xmas I will have £250. Sometimes I just earn 17p or 36p or even just 8p but it all adds up. It is well worth doing. I bought some £10 Amazon gift vouchers as gifts and got £1 back on each one.

newnanny Fri 24-May-19 12:39:19

I got my husband to make an icon for me on my desktop for Topcashback then I do not forget to use it.

moobox Fri 24-May-19 13:06:26

I have had over £3000 from Quidco in cashback over the years and over £700 from Topcashback, mainly for online spendings. The reason the amount is large is because payments for taking out insurance or broadband can be substantial. I also check when booking hotels, and have had loads of cashback from ebookers etc. Holidays, train travel - always worth a check. Always compare prices though. Topcashback app sometimes has grocery discount and you will suddenly get an offer on there for example for £3 box of any choices from any shop for free - so a nice treat. Currently, they are offering me £2.50 extra cashback for a £10 spend, so I will stock up on online shopping I can collect in store, or purchase something on eBay maybe. They were a bit silly before Christmas, offering £2.50 cashback every few days on a £2.50 online spend, and Superdrug orders were stocking up my toiletries selection. They seem to have cut back on such weird offers now though. From kittylester's list, M&S and Joules certainly do, Amazon only for specific departments and Seasalt no.

daffers Fri 24-May-19 13:11:45

Whenever I want to buy something I first go to Hot UK Deals and find the best priced item. I then go to Top Cashback and place the order through them. Been doing this for many years and saved lots. Took out new houshold contents Insurance last month and cashback from TCB was more than the premium.