Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

More about LPA

(14 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 18-Jun-19 19:14:04

A question about appointing attorneys:
I’ve read that most people choose two. Well, most people have two children and it seems right to entrust your affairs to your children when you become incapable.
I have four daughters and would want them to all agree on important decisions concerning me. I’ll appoint them “Jointly and severally”
Is four too many? Have others appointed all of their children as attorneys?

notanan2 Tue 18-Jun-19 19:25:07

I would say yes. I wouldnt agree to being one of four it would be too fraught with beaurocracy. The point of LPA is to SIMPLIFY things not make them more complicated. Getting one other signature is doable. Getting 3 for every little thing you try to do is quite another. You need to appoint one or two IMO who can be free to get on with things

tanith Tue 18-Jun-19 19:35:52

I’m appointing my three children jointly and severally too.

notanan2 “jointly and severally” means that attorneys can make decision together or individually.

I’ve done it the same as one of my children lives abroad and if decisions need to be made quickly it would be difficult.

Doodle Tue 18-Jun-19 19:37:51

My understanding is that jointly and severally means that any one can take action if required. That is what we have chosen for our sons.

notanan2 Tue 18-Jun-19 19:38:55

notanan2 “jointly and severally” means that attorneys can make decision together or individually.

But think of that from the attorneys point of view! You go to say move funds to make a big payment only to find out its already been made. Or the funds balance isnt what you thought it was because soneone else used it to pay something different
Because communicating and coordinating with 1 other person is easier than coordinating with 3 others!

notanan2 Tue 18-Jun-19 19:39:34

As I say, too many cooks. Whether they can act independantly or not.

FlexibleFriend Tue 18-Jun-19 19:39:57

I have 2 sons but I appointed the younger one to make all the decisions, he knows me best and I trust him completely. My other son knows and is happy not to have to deal with it.

tanith Tue 18-Jun-19 20:10:34

I’m sure my children will be talking to each other about decisions even if one actually carry’s it out.

SueDonim Tue 18-Jun-19 20:23:53

We were advised not to appoint all four children because getting a joint decision made could be a nightmare, especially as one son lives abroad. We talked it over and decided to appoint our oldest daughter. The other three are all in agreement and happy with that arrangement.

Likewise, I am the attorney for my mother, who decided that I was in the best position to do the job, should it ever be required. As a courtesy, I would of course inform my siblings of any significant decisions.

Luckygirl Tue 18-Jun-19 20:26:00

My three DDs are appointed jointly and severally too. During a recent phase when my OH was incapable of making decisions, we talked about the care aspect between ourselves; but I am dealing with all the money matters.

notanan2 Tue 18-Jun-19 22:46:30

I’m sure my children will be talking to each other about decisions even if one actually carry’s it out.

Yeah... you say that but even when adult siblings get along, coordinating anything that involves all of them at once is still difficult, even if its just a joint gift or group weekend away or something non serious. We all get along but its easier to arrange things when its just with one or other. Once it becomes an everyone decision or activity it ends up taking ages to arrange.

And thats for FUN things not even important things

Resurgam123 Wed 19-Jun-19 07:21:31

I have already given my children and my health and welfare attorneys my DNA wishes, suitably described, " jointly and severally." Alzheimers society and other such organisations have useful information about such things.

Resurgam123 Wed 19-Jun-19 07:25:38

I did four attorneys my hubby, my sister and my two grown up children. 40ish

Resurgam123 Wed 19-Jun-19 07:32:09

My reaction is its my body. I will decide what I want done with it when it's of no use to me. Before I pop off of course.
They can have any useful bits but they are getting rather creaky now.