Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Help, Just got keys for a rented flat and there is an infestion of carpet moths

(9 Posts)
Chrisdec1004 Thu 20-Jun-19 21:56:08

Hi all.

My partner and I have just got the keys today for our new rental property and we were going to start cleaning when we realized there is a carpet moth infestation in the bedroom and living room! We rang our lettings agency who sent a pest control man round later on in the day and he sprayed something non-toxic on the carpets and told us that we shouldn't really vacuum ( the floor is really dirty and needs vacuuming ) or put anything around the edges of the walls for 2 weeks and not to bring any soft furnishings/clothes into the flat! So, Technically we can't move in and live in it for 1-2 weeks. Do we have a right to go back to the lettings agency and ask for 1-2 weeks money off the rent as we can't live in it while its infested or is this being unreasonable?

Many thanks for any/all answer.

mumofmadboys Thu 20-Jun-19 22:50:46

I think your suggestion sounds entirely reasonable.

M0nica Fri 21-Jun-19 08:45:55

If all else fails, speak to the CAB (Citizens Advice). I think you have strong legal case for saying this rent must be refunded.

If the house is dirty you should also insist that it has a full professional clean before you move in. If that had been done the moth infestation would have been found before the flat went on the market.

I used to rent out a flat and I always had a professional cleans done before a new tenant moved in, and would never have required a tenant to pay rent when they could not live in the flat.

mosaicwarts Fri 21-Jun-19 08:52:08

So sorry to read this. I have an antique wool carpet and had left it rolled up - moths have tunnelled right through one end. You've reminded me to put the papers underneath it, thanks.

Good luck with having your rent refunded, it's just not acceptable that you are affected in this way by the landlord's lack of care. My daughter moved into several Uni houses where the landlords didn't pay for cleaning, appallingly dirty.

Resurgam123 Fri 21-Jun-19 09:17:52

We lived in a student flat for a couple of years .
We took our cat back to my mums when we were on a placement.

When we went back the fleas had multiplied massively and we were heavily bitten. The fleas had been starving.

Advice from a pest man was a powder which worked.
We did get a cheap vaccum cleaner.
My children had some dreadful flats . Particularly my son.

Jassyjoo Fri 21-Jun-19 09:46:11

Having lived in a rented flat which had carpet moths, I would be very vigilant once you have moved in. My landlord had pest control come out but of course if the room is full of furniture etc. they can't reach every nook and cranny with the spray! Apparently these little blighters can lie dormant for a year! And they can travel with you once you move! I did spot a couple of moths in the flat I am in now but I make sure I move whatever furniture I can regularly to check for evidence and as a precaution I spray round the edges with a Moth Killer spray. If you see something which resembles grains of rice it's them!

glammanana Fri 21-Jun-19 09:57:49

I would certainly demand a refund on the rent or a rent free period along with a deep clean of the whole flat,how bad are they for renting a place in such a bad condition it's disgraceful to say the least.

FlexibleFriend Fri 21-Jun-19 10:04:52

Have you spoken to the landlord? I'm a Landlord and I certainly wouldn't expect you to move in or pay rent until I was satisfied the flat was habitable and have learnt to my cost that the letting agent has very different standards to myself. I now always inspect between tenancies myself and my attitude is if I wouldn't want to live there then nor should anyone else. Tell them it's not habitable.

grannyticktock Fri 21-Jun-19 13:57:59

That's just not acceptable. Do they charge a "cleaning" fee between lets, I wonder? In any case, you should not have to pay until the place is habitable and you can bring all your clothes and possessions in without fear of infestation.

If the landlord has any sense they'd remove the carpets, clean up thoroughly, and re-carpet with synthetic carpets.

Oh, and check the curtains - if they haven't been moved or drawn for weeks, they may be infested too!