Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

no income

(255 Posts)
Lilylavender Mon 26-Aug-19 18:54:13

I dont understand why I have no money of my own
My hubby is 70 amd gets state pension plus pension credit which apparently inlcudes a small amount for being married
as i am only 62 have to wait 4 years for my pension if it ever happens as they keep raising the age
We dont actually have enough pension for hubby to give me some for spending money as we have two sons at home who also,pay board which pays for broadband etc
I feel like I am a second class citizen. A woman who brought a family up and has to ask the husband for any pennies. In the case of his bday anniversary christmas etc I cant go and buy anything is secret.
I realize that most women my age with pension age husband maybe in the same boat. I brought up 5 children over 37 years so never had a private pension nor worked full time.
I feel left out. Surely we should be paid something.

Daisymae Tue 03-Sep-19 18:39:01

I know that th the original post was about pension, but you are on a tight budget and I do wonder again whether you should look at the board that your sons contribute. Locally, one room in a house share is £450, including bills. Might be time to have a word.

MamaCaz Wed 04-Sep-19 20:07:17

Charleygirl5
I have just checked I pay Plusnet £14.99 a month for internet and Tv and it also includes phone calls for an hour each time 24/7.

Blimey - how did you manage that? A few months ago, that same company put my mum's monthly bill up from approx £29 to approx £39 a month, for the same things you get.
Naturally, I instantly did some price comparisons, but the very cheapest like-for-like deal i could find was around £28 (which Plusnet then agreed to match).

Is broadband/phone like energy, where the prices vary from one area to another? (Only discovered that last year when i needed to do energy price comparisons for my mum at the same time as i was doing my own, and spotted that the unit prices we were offered were different).

Charleygirl5 Wed 04-Sep-19 22:23:13

MamaCaz This was my agreement with Plusnet about 6-7 years ago and for very obvious reasons I do not want to move! I am not interested in Virgin and Sky thankfully. It was really the phone contract I wanted.

MamaCaz Wed 04-Sep-19 22:34:46

Don't blame you for sticking with them, Charleygirl5 - that's a great deal! smile