Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Bank details

(26 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Sat 07-Sep-19 09:52:12

A friend whom I know well - ie not a scammer - wants to pay me some money he owes me, and asked me to email my bank details so that he can transfer the money. In the past, when I owed him some money, he emailed me his details and I paid a cheque into my local branch of his bank, and that worked.

However, we are always told, 1.) not to give out bank details, and 2.) that email is not a safe way to transfer confidential information, as we should always assume that emails can be read by the nefarious if they want to.

Should I ask him to send a cheque or can anyone enlighten me please? We are not on internet banking.

(Can you tell that I am paranoid and of dinosaur tendencies? (Doesn't mean that they're not out to get me...))

Thank you in advance, all you tech-savvy people. smile

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:55:26

I think its OK to give your account details but NOT your log in or password info. At least I pay bills to various places who give me their account and branch numbers.

libra10 Sat 07-Sep-19 09:56:32

Although I do use internet banking, I consider that sending a cheque is the safest way to pay.

Ilovecheese Sat 07-Sep-19 10:01:38

I have often been paid by bank transfer, so had to give my bank details, some customers no longer pay by cheque. I have never had any trouble.

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:06:54

Cheques are a nuisance especially now that so many bank branches have closed. If I'm given one I have to trek around finding somewhere to pay it in. Cheques can be lost in the post too.

glammanana Sat 07-Sep-19 10:07:06

I have always paid money owed by this method and as long as you don't give any passwords etc you are safe not very many people use cheques now do they.?

Maybelle Sat 07-Sep-19 10:14:08

I too prefer cheques to be used rather than give my bank details.
I pay the cheques into my bank account via any post office.
Saves me hunting for a bank or going into town.

fizzers Sat 07-Sep-19 10:20:01

you will be quite safe sending sort code and bank account number, no other details are needed, ie, long number across your card , or the three digit security number on the back.

Jane10 Sat 07-Sep-19 10:36:32

Post offices are being cut. Our local one is closing too. Sigh. Please - no more cheques!

Septimia Sat 07-Sep-19 11:54:02

The only details your friend needs are the name of the account, the sort code and the account number. All these are/were printed on cheques anyway. Just don't divulge any other numbers or log-in details.

Until recently I received payments from people overseas for proofreading I'd done (via email) for them. They had those basic account details and there was never any problem.

EllanVannin Sat 07-Sep-19 12:39:45

I still use cheques as I won't ever bank online, it's not safe.

Nonnie Sat 07-Sep-19 12:44:19

I have no qualms about giving my bank details to friends, you give them to all sorts of people when you set up direct debits. Not even sure your name has to go on, just paid someone called Julie and didn't know her other name. Its left my account, hope its gone into hers!

MamaCaz Sat 07-Sep-19 13:03:24

As Septimia says - the details you are reluctant to give are on your cheques anyway, so no more risk involved in transferring the money, and a transfer is a lot more convenient for the recipient.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 07-Sep-19 14:47:06

Thank you all. There does seem to be a bit of a division of opinion! I would still prefer to get a cheque and pay it in at the Post Office, but I take the point about all the details being on a cheque and that the real no-no is giving a password. I still have concerns about the lack of security of emails though; maybe the answer is to send him the details in writing. Or arrange a meeting and get him to hand over cash!

Riverwalk Sat 07-Sep-19 15:10:15

On the rare occasion I’m given a cheque I just take a picture on my phone and send it via the phone App to the bank - job done!

BlueBelle Sat 07-Sep-19 15:12:35

I keep a separate account with just £10 in then if anyone needs to pay me money they get those account details which has virtually nothing to steal in it

Harris27 Sat 07-Sep-19 15:14:31

My son pays me money he owes this way perfectly safe.

phoenix Sat 07-Sep-19 17:34:13

Every time you pay by cheque, the recipient has your account number and sort code, they are clearly shown on the cheque, therefore if anyone wants to pay you by bank transfer, they have all the info they need, just have to add a reference.

NotAGran55 Sat 07-Sep-19 17:40:24

Why don’t you pick up the phone and give him your bank details if you are nervous of using an email ?

Luckygirl Sat 07-Sep-19 17:45:38

Jane10 - sorry your post office has closed. We live in the country and have a village shop about 2 minutes drive away that is also a post office; and the PO is open whenever the shop is: 7 am to 9 pm every day, including Sundays and bank hols!!

Slightly amazing I always feel!!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 07-Sep-19 17:56:15

Good thinking, NotAGran55! Why didn't I think of that??

phoenix Sat 07-Sep-19 18:23:58

We used to have a P.O. within our village shop. Although the post office didn't open until 9am, we could drop off return parcels before then and know that they would be processed.

The Post Office in its wisdom decided that the P.O. section of the shop was no longer viable.

We now have a mobile post office (i.e. a van) that turns up late, often can't get a Wi-Fi signal to be able to actually operate and is a complete PITA!

janeainsworth Sat 07-Sep-19 18:30:24

I still use cheques as I won't ever bank online, it's not safe

Don’t be ridiculous ev.
As long as you don’t do anything daft like giving out your pin or password, or opening an attachment in a dodgy email, or transferring money to a fake account it’s as safe as any system can be.
Cheques can be stolen and signatures forged too.

Jane10 Sun 08-Sep-19 10:50:10

Luckygirl I'm glad that at least you have access to good local facilities given how complicated and hard going life is for you right now.
Being given a cheque is a tiny problem for me.

Davidhs Sun 08-Sep-19 10:55:36

Banks details are commonly on invoices so that’s OK, if you’re not on internet banking you can go into your bank or building society and ask them to do a transfer .
If the other party is online banking they can do a transfer wether you are or not.