Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Over 50’s Life Plan??

(11 Posts)
Missfoodlove Wed 18-Sep-19 15:51:13

I have been going though my mothers finances as she is now in a home.
She has always been gullible and would never ask advice from myself or my husband who was a banker.

I have found an “Over 50” policy from an industry leader, the final payout on death is less than she has paid in and there is no surrender value!

I have researched this via Martin Lewis and it’s common in the insurance industry.

She would have been thousands richer had she put the money in an ISA.

This product was advertised by Sir Michael Parkinson.

Well he can have his free pen back inserted sideways. ???

Auntieflo Wed 18-Sep-19 16:13:55

Missfoodlove, Martin Lewis covered a whole raft of financial products etc, that may have been mis-sold, on his programme, yesterday, that may be liable for refunds.
It may be worth researching whether you believe it was miss sold.

HildaW Wed 18-Sep-19 17:22:56

They are a nasty product and I hate the adverts that work at creating a guilty feeling - the implication that you are not a decent parent if you are not providing a 'helpful sum to help with my funeral coasts'......and that man can do the same with his parsnips!
You have every right to be livid!

Missfoodlove Wed 18-Sep-19 19:43:07

Sadly it wasn’t miss sold.
I just don anyone else to fall for it!
It really is a huge con.

Bopeep14 Wed 18-Sep-19 22:44:40

My mum has one as well, she pays £50 per month and already has paid over a thousand pounds more than it’s value on her death.
It’s disgusting but nothing we can do about it now.

Witzend Sun 29-Sep-19 11:40:03

Must say I really loathe seeing highly paid celebrities advertising products aimed at the sort of people who are going to worry about funeral costs, i.e. far from well off.

Davidhs Sun 29-Sep-19 12:09:40

Of course there are plenty of “investment products” including ISAs that pay out less than contributions and we should all be careful. Commission and management charges eat into the value, although it is performance of the investments that makes the main difference, particularly high risk stocks.

All you can do is choose a reputable U.K. based company and pick low risk investments.

thomasben2296 Mon 30-Sep-19 07:24:48

There are over 50 life insurance policy to invest in where it will support you and your family financially when you are not around. Get a bit of advice from reliable insurance adviser who can help you out in choosing the right plan.

EllanVannin Mon 30-Sep-19 08:22:23

What a shocking con ! I've felt much safer dealing with my bank throughout life for all sorts of things. I've been with the same one since the early 60's and have steered clear of any " outside " plans. An ISA for me is the way to go.

Oldwoman70 Mon 30-Sep-19 10:15:24

Some years ago a friend asked my thoughts as she was thinking of taking out one of these policies. I suggested that instead she made regular payments into a savings account. She now has more in that account that this "insurance" would have paid out. I have always felt they were a con and should never be allowed to be sold.

Teacheranne Mon 30-Sep-19 10:23:15

I am so relieved that my mum has set up Power of Attorney so we were able to spot an initial direct debit for one of these policies and stop it. As the company ( currently advertising on TV) had cold called her, we were able to get the first payment refunded. Had mum approached them, I am not sure if the company would have been so helpful.

My mum has Alzeimers and is very easy to scam so I have now scratched off the security number from her bank card so she can no longer use it over the phone.