Gransnet forums

Legal & money

How much do you spend on clothes in a year?

(196 Posts)
ecci53 Sat 21-Sep-19 22:51:26

Just read on another discussion where someone reckons she is frugal, spending under £150 per year on clothes. That seems like a lot to me.
I spend a lot less than that. Admittedly, I tend to frequent charity shops and jumble sales. I also think ebay is a girl's best friend-buy something nice to wear, and then sell it on when you're fed up with it.
I don't buy clothes every month and I was wondering how much other people spend on clothes in a year.

Sara65 Sat 21-Sep-19 22:54:44

I think if you are spending only £150 pounds a year on clothes, you are being extremely frugal

MissAdventure Sat 21-Sep-19 23:11:43

I doubt I spend that much, but then I'm not very interested in clothes.
As long as they fit and cover up my belly then they'll do.

MawB Sat 21-Sep-19 23:29:46

Oh dear blushblushblush
I easily spend between £100+ a month on clothes, shoes etc

GagaJo Sat 21-Sep-19 23:33:25

Probably about £150 a year. It HAS been more in the past. But I've lost interest in the last 4 or 5 years. There is only so much STUFF anyone needs.

I realised the other day, the very nice dress I was wearing was almost 9 years old. Still looks new. Why replace it?

mumofmadboys Sun 22-Sep-19 00:15:35

I think £150 a year would certainly cover my new clothes easily. Probably less.

Teacheranne Sun 22-Sep-19 00:31:32

I dread to think! Certainly more than £150 a month, let alone a year! This month I bought 2 pairs of Hotter shoes, one pair for winter and one pair of sandals for next summer - both were less than half price in a sale. I also bought a few items of clothes from Cotton Traders ready for the colder weather.

I buy most of my clothes online when reduced but still probably spend too much - but there's no one else but me to care!

Fiachna50 Sun 22-Sep-19 00:34:09

No, I dont spend alot on clothes. Ive bought a top this year to go to a party, thats it. I wouldnt spend that amount on clothes a year.

crazyH Sun 22-Sep-19 00:38:07

I bought a couple of slim leg jeans in summer colours at the M&S sales ...£9 each. 2 summer tops, pack of panties. These, along with what I already have will see me through the summer. I will then buy a couple of winter woolies in October....that will be it for this year.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Sep-19 04:54:43

Most of mine come from Charity shops or ‘George’ or givsies so I don’t spend a lot either I think £150 is low but not particularly frugal

Calendargirl Sun 22-Sep-19 05:28:02

This post just shows how different we all are. I don’t spend much on clothes, keep wearing old favourites for years. Not bothered about what’s fashionable, as long as I look clean, comfy and respectable.
Loathe clothes shopping, sometimes look up say M &S online and read reviews of various items. Amazed how other shoppers buy three or four of same item in various colours, and obviously did the same the previous year. Their wardrobes must be bursting!

Pantglas2 Sun 22-Sep-19 06:27:54

If that includes decent bras as well, it seems a low figure. Due to my cup size, I buy mine at bravissimo and they’re between £30-40 each!

Willow500 Sun 22-Sep-19 06:30:53

I probably used to spend on average about £50 a month but since I retired and don't have the income any more I've stopped watching the shopping channels - also put weight on again and don't feel good in anything any more sad so not as interested in clothes. I think £150 a year is extremely frugal too!

Riverwalk Sun 22-Sep-19 06:37:41

I dread to think! Having initially thought, oh not very much, I've just done a quick totting-up of what I can remember and it comes to about £1000.

£150 a year seems very low, but I'm a reluctant shopper and don't have the patience to browse around charity/discount shops.

MawB Sun 22-Sep-19 06:42:44

Just to throw fuel on the fire, does anybody still shrug off their H comments on “new” clothes with “Oh this old thing? I’ve had it for ages!” (And know nobody believes them?)
Or smuggle things into the house when he is not there?
Now all you liberated women will rise up and Pooh Pooh me as its “your money and your business” - but honestly? grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Sep-19 06:52:54

Not a lot, probably less than the £150 mark. I used to have to spend on clothes for work and now have wardrobes full of things I can wear or adapt if need be. I’m often complimented on outfits that are 10, 15 years old so see no need to change them just for the sake of it. The older I get, the more I hate waste and the less I want to accumulate yet more stuff.

Riverwalk Sun 22-Sep-19 07:03:01

Something along those lines Maw!

I certainly never told my ex how much a visit to the hairdresser cost - it couldn't compare to the £5 plus £1 tip he paid at the local barber grin

Willow500 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:10:03

When my husband was working parcels used to arrive or I'd come home from shopping and it would all be unpacked and put away before he got home so he never knew what I bought. Now he's home most of the time and is more interested plus he now orders stuff himself from A*** so is always aware of parcel deliveries grin

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:17:08

MawB

I have certainly done that, but I don’t know why, because he wouldn’t be the least bit bothered, he’s got an eye for quite expensive clothes himself!

kittylester Sun 22-Sep-19 07:22:30

I buy when I see something I like - with dh's blessing and he does the same. He is good at suggesting clothes I might like. Luckily, we are comfortably off and can afford it. Having 5 children to educate, feed and develop, I spent years having to watch what I spent on clothes and I am enjoying having a little leeway. I don't go mad though.

Scentia Sun 22-Sep-19 07:25:46

I would say that is frugal. I think I am frugal and I spend much more than that. I am not frugal when it comes to clothes for my grandson though and have spent more that that in his already very short 5 months of life😂😂

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:27:37

I don’t know how much I spend, if I like something I buy it, I still work, so have to look reasonably nice every day, I don’t think I’m extravagant though.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:30:53

Scentia

I have six grandchildren, four girls, we go on shopping trips together and it costs me a fortune, but I love to spoil them a bit

dragonfly46 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:36:21

I like clothes and tend to buy what I like when I see it. This year it ranged from a very smart expensive dress to pyjamas from Asda. I have no idea what I spend.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:41:58

I tend to watch out for 20% off days, and flash sales, which come along fairly frequently.

kircubbin2000 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:43:09

I've just spent £150 On 2 cashmere sweaters.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:43:15

Well in view of what we are hearing on the news with the young protesting in alarm, I would say

Very well done.

But the truth is that I spend too much.

jeanie99 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:55:25

I hate shopping so only buy clothes when I need them
I've had some smart clothes for years which are only used occasionally like when we cruise.
I've only within the last couple of years started wearing dresses. I bought a couple just recently for our next trip but they weren't expensive.
I must say though when I do buy something I am fussy, only leather boots shoes or sandals.
Don't buy for fashion only what suits me colour and style wise.
I have 5 pr of jeans in different styles which I've had years.
Same with jumpers and heavy cardigans they seem to go on forever.
The £150 doesn't seem much because I could pay £60 easily for a pr of boots.
Not sure what I spend but if I need something I buy it.
Really it's all down to what you can afford, I don't understand anyone getting into debt for fashion.

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 09:02:57

I don’t often buy new clothes but with a little friendly encouragement from some Gransnetters this month I have bought a new dress and a fluffy coat . Yikes £90 this is unknown to me . smile

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 09:03:55

Both on my CC I hasten to add . Sorry jeanie99 . shock

janeainsworth Sun 22-Sep-19 09:16:33

Like Kitty I spent years having to watch what I spent on clothes, despite working at the time.
I love clothes though and it’s a pleasure to me now that I can buy nice things if I want them. I don’t go mad though and usually wait for the sales which seem to happen quite quickly in the season. I’d rather have one thing that I really like than several things which are just ok. I spend about £1500 a year on clothes, including underwear.

And yes Maw 🖐 I do that thing if as long as something’s been in the wardrobe for two weeks, it’s no longer ‘new’ grin
I have a special credit card for paying my hairdresser and other things which are none of MrA’s business grin

KatyK Sun 22-Sep-19 09:25:15

I've never added it up. I used to buy a lot of clothes when I was working. I retired ten years ago and am still wearing a lot of the clothes I had then. I used to be obsessed with clothes when I was younger but that's worn off. I have too many coats and shoes, some of which I've never worn. If I see a top or something I fancy, I buy it but rarely anything expensive.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Sep-19 09:25:52

Only buy knickers and the odd pair of shoes.

What's the point in buying clothes when there's a wardrobe/drawers full of them ? With something for every occasion.
My leather Hush-Puppy boots were bought in the mid-70's and cost £75 even then ! They owe me nothing.
Dozens of pairs of trousers and jumpers/tops.
It's because I've always had plenty that there's never been any need to buy anything over the years, so I've never been a drain on resources, neither have I contributed to the economy either.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:33:41

I have a big sort out of clothes every season, and if I haven’t worn something this summer at all, it will go, having said that, I do have things in my wardrobe 10+ years old, because I just go on wearing them.

Nanna58 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:38:54

£150.00 a year? Seriously? I thought it was a misprint! Just spent that on a dress and jacket!

BusterTank Sun 22-Sep-19 09:38:59

I spend about 40 pounds a year . My family guys me clothes for birthday and Christmas , so it's not as thou i go without . I still have clothes in my wardrobe I've never worn .

Aepgirl Sun 22-Sep-19 09:39:05

I tend to go, what we used to call, ‘window shopping’ and then look out in the sales for clothes that attracted me. £150 a year would certainly not cover it.

AllTheLs Sun 22-Sep-19 09:40:24

A lot more this year than usual. Mainly because I bought a Mother of the Bride outfit & accessories for this year, at the same time buying a Mother of the Groom dress for next year. My 'clothes account' is feeling the pain.

Nanna58 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:40:46

Mind you my favourite dress this year was £8 from a charity shop so suppose am not a total spendthrift! 😇

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:43:33

I suppose like everything else, it depends what your priorities are.

I like nice clothes, and shoes and boots, I don’t buy as much as I used to, because we don’t go out as often, so no need for party frocks! But I still get pleasure from having nice things.

GrannySquare Sun 22-Sep-19 09:44:39

I bought clothes I really liked as my work outfits - executive cardies ;-) - & found clothing a form of self expression rather than easy corporate camouflage.

Retirement & cash ‘trickle’ means thatI have to rein spending in so I buy online, at discount (early bird browsing before the sun comes up) & only for things that I will wear within a few days. Any thing other than that is an indulgence I cannot afford.

That said, I know full too well I have enough nice good quality clothes (abundant ‘this old thing’) to last me through to my twilight years.

Fiachna50 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:45:42

Did anyone watch the Tonight programme about fashion and the damage it is causing to the environment? I remember Stacey Dooley did an excellent episode on this a while back. You will get the Tonight programme on the catch-up.

BlueSapphire Sun 22-Sep-19 09:49:09

Probably about £50 a month. I have just paid £40 for a top from Fat Face but it will have to go back as in the cold light of day the colour doesn't suit me.

Mooched around Primark yesterday and got a lovely soft V-neck jumper and a pair of leggings - £11 for the two. It does help that most of the decent clothes shops have gone from the town centre! Am on the hunt at the moment for a nice scarf to wear with a navy coat for a funeral next month.

b1zzle Sun 22-Sep-19 09:52:17

I buy from charity shops and in sales - believing that quality wins over quantity. Probable spend is somewhere between £100 - £150/year.

seacliff Sun 22-Sep-19 09:55:33

I have clothes in so many sizes that I am too big for. I kept some favourites for years, hoping I'd shrink, but now have given most away. I don't know what I spend either. I buy cheap makes of clothes usually but I spend on good leather shoes/anle boots. They can easily be £70 for ankle boots, I wait for a 20% offer usually.

oldgimmer1 Sun 22-Sep-19 09:59:36

I thought £150 was a misprint too. As a PP said, it's easy to spend £100 on a dress/jacket combo for a wedding, say.

I sometimes wonder if I've wandered into some weird parallel universe on this site.

I frequently shop for clothes and probably buy myself something every week. Nothing is on impulse. I bought a Zara jumper last week and I'm going to get a pair of Zara jeans this week. There's some nice stuff in Mint Velvet at the moment too.

I bought a John Lewis leather backpack from eBay last week and I could do with another coat.

I enjoy clothes and enjoy shopping.

I cannot imagine trying to "hide" my spending from my DP either - I've got my own bank account, my own earnings, no debt and everything I do money - wise is no-one else's concern.

seadragon Sun 22-Sep-19 10:08:03

Less than £100 a year here! I have always shopped second hand and get a real buzz out of a bargain. The £100 mostly goes on underwear.... BTW I do love clothes and lots of colour. I frequently receive compliments on the way I dress.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 10:12:49

Seadragon

You must have a very good eye for things, I’d just end up looking like a bag lady!

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Sep-19 10:14:29

This year, so far, $6 on 3 pairs of new knickers.

As I don't see any need to change or discard what I've been happily wearing for the past decade, it'll probably stay that way.

I may need a new bra in 2021 - if I live that long. grin

Theoddbird Sun 22-Sep-19 10:14:58

I shop on eBay... I only buy new if I have to...even then on eBay...example being a long sleeved tee to go under a preloved linen pinifore dress. We live in a throw away society.... I was brought up make do and mend as I am sure many of you were. I am sure I spend less than £150 a year on clothes

Millie22 Sun 22-Sep-19 10:30:43

Probably too much. £150 in a year hmmm no.

grandMattie Sun 22-Sep-19 10:31:55

Having been “kept” by my very generous DH all my adult life, I have been frugal. I prob spend a bit over £150 but not much. Perfectly happy with my charity shop and supermarket clothes and undies. DH wouldn’t notice what I wore unless it was a bin liner and masking tape.

Jillybird Sun 22-Sep-19 11:04:23

I probably spend about £300+ a month. That sounds like a lot compared to many on here. I justify it as I never go away on holiday due to disability so it's a hobby of sorts; I like to have the perfect shoes that I not only can walk in but which suit perfectly the rest of my outfit. I think there may be some psychological aspect too - when I was a kid I had my school uniform and one other outfit to wear when not at school - to have a wardrobe full of clothes now, fills me with joy!

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:09:36

I don’t really know how much I spend, never having kept account. I know I wouldn’t get very far on £150 though !

ginny Sun 22-Sep-19 11:10:45

I’ve no idea. I hate shopping ( unless it’s for craft stuff) so only buy if something is needed.

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Sep-19 11:12:19

£150 is what I'd spend on a pair of shoes and a bra! I don't buy many clothes - last thing I bought was months and months ago - but shoes and bras are both important to me and hard to fit.

harrigran Sun 22-Sep-19 11:14:08

I spend £150 a year on bras and probably the same again on a couple of tops. I rarely buy shoes, I think the last time was when I was going to the palace in 2009.
When DH was working I had to have a lot of dressy clothes so the budget was sky high, most of those garments are still in my wardrobe.

Juliet27 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:15:47

I begrudge paying full price when sales and 20% discounts are so regular but by not being able to resist a bargain I probably end up buying more than if I bought fewer full price items. My H kindly often asks 'anything to pick up in M&S?' but it's just as often 'anything to take back to M&S?'

sazz1 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:21:08

This year around £300 but that included shoes. Last 3 years less than £50. I tend to do a massive shop about every 3 years and almost all from eBay and charity shops. Can't justify paying high street prices when I can get so much better quality online. For a cruise a few years ago I got a whole wardrobe full of posh clothes, evening dresses, silk tops shoes etc. for £200 then sold most of it back on eBay just keeping a few favourites.

Skweek1 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:28:23

I buy half a dozen t-shirts (£18),2 pairs of leggings (£12), a pair of jeans (£20) and a pair of sandals (£4) annually and a parka (£100) every 3 years. I find that suits me fine. If, for some reason, I need anything else, (generally a skirt or dress for a concert by my choir), it comes from a charity shop and I don't think I've ever spent more than £7.50!). Most of my clothes come from George at Asda or F&F at Tesco.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 22-Sep-19 11:30:05

I think its far more that £150 a year, I don't really keep check. I buy from charity shops, make my own, Fat Face, M&S, White Stuff. I am about to buy a pair of winter leather shoes which will be about £90 I have a clear out every now and again and donate my clothes to the homeless shelter, so its not wasted.

Maw, you made me laugh, why do we do it no idea. I have my own money and bank accounts, Mr B never asks or criticises but I think its because he buys so few clothes, I have two pair of trousers why do I need more man. Mind you he spends a fortune on his running shoes.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:44:52

Blimey I am now feeling extremely guilty £150 that's not even three bras (big boobies).

I was extremely pleased this week as I managed to get two pair of boots on sale in Office that I lusted over last year saving £150

I love clothes and enjoy mooching around clothes shops, if I find something I like and it fits I buy it.

Marmight Sun 22-Sep-19 11:49:55

I haven’t a clue what I spend on clothes. I’m an impulse buyer but can go for weeks buying nothing. I’d imagine it averages at around £100 per month for everything. However if I come home with 4 items I then get rid of 4 to the local charity shop. Only downside is I invariably find a bargain at the Chazzer so have to go through the process all over again.... Why is it that I wear the same clothes all the time and most things hang in the wardrobe worn maybe a couple of times a year? This has only happened since I was widowed; I’m sure a psychiatrist would come up with a number of reasons for this behaviour 🙄

glammanana Sun 22-Sep-19 11:51:39

Since I have retired I have not bought anything that would make a difference to my wardrobe,I live in jeans/jeggings and nice tops which I have had for years and if you buy quality pieces they will last a very long time.
I have not bought a new coat for 5 years after getting such a bargain on e-bay a classic wrap around which will come out again this winter.
The most I will spend this year is possibly £100 on underwear/pj's when Tu have their 25% discount sale.

Mimidl Sun 22-Sep-19 11:53:44

Oh dear! I spend more than that monthly -
I bought another pair of boots last week and when I put them away realised I had 15 pairs in all different colours and lengths!! 🙈
Shoes and bags I’m worse, and when I find a pair of trousers that fits me properly I’ll buy lots of them as I’m quite fussy with length, leg width etc.
Oh, and umbrellas!!! I can’t resist an unusual umbrella 💖

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 11:59:50

I don’t really get the handbag thing, I just use one till it wears out/I’m fed up with it, can’t be doing with changing handbags every five minutes.

Cambia Sun 22-Sep-19 12:01:43

I KNOW I spend £1500 a year on clothes because I enter them up on my budget and it tells me the total amount! I buy lots off eBay and love charity shops but I do love clothes. I do recycle twice a year and anything not worn goes to charity, so I am doing my bit there! How can anyone only spend £150 a year. Bras are £30 a time (strange size), good trainers to run in are around the £80 mark and although my boots last me years, they are usually around £100.

Will try harder next year!

Stella14 Sun 22-Sep-19 12:15:50

Probably £1500 a year, possibly a bit more. I tend to stick with natural fibres and they are more expensive than synthetic. I also really like Seasalt, and although with every other range, I only buy when there is a discount, if I really like something at Seasalt, I just have to bite the bullet and pay full price or it will probably be gone. Also, I have arthritis in my feet, so I have to buy Birkenstock or Fitflops footwear.

sodapop Sun 22-Sep-19 12:16:31

You are indeed frugal ecci53 that's quite an achievement. If we are including shoes and underwear then my spending is much more than that.
Clothing in France is expensive and not really to my taste so I shop online or splurge when I visit UK. I used to enjoy clothes shopping and could spend all day in the shops but not any more, I find it tiresome. I dislike shopping with others as well as I feel guilty if they are waiting while I try things on.

Witzend Sun 22-Sep-19 12:37:28

Goodness, it will vary a lot, but I'm sure more than £150 a year. I tend to buy things only when I could really do with them, or see something I particularly like - but only if I know I'll wear it a lot.
So e.g. I might buy quite a few summer things one year, but carry on wearing them for several years. The several pairs of cotton/linen summer trousers I've been living in for the past few months are at least 3 years old.

I can't buy cheap shoes (difficult feet!) but do tend to keep them a long time. Someone on the bus asked me recently where I'd got my yellow loafer-type shoes - I could tell her it was Russell Bromley but had to add that it was over 4 years previously!

I tend to buy reasonably good quality and wear things to death.

I have just one pair of winter boots, nice leather, still fine after maybe 10 years - obv. they've been re-soled and heeled, as well as polished with proper wax polish.

It's probably relevant that I don't go shopping for fun! Don't enjoy it at all. I tend to buy online now, if I know the company and the fit. Seasalt is one I use, but only for tops.

GabriellaG54 Sun 22-Sep-19 12:41:25

In last 2 weeks I spent £550.90 but I didget a lot for my outlay. blush

1 chiffon midi dress £34.99
1 knitted winter jumper £24.99
1 100% silk blouse £79.99
2 tie detail linen tops £12.99 each
1 mock-croc waist belt bag £17.99
All H&M

2 prs suede ankle boots in ochre and black £49.99 each
2 prs vegan 'suede' ankle boots in dk red and navy £45 each.
Aviator jacket £69
Ochre/blk midi dress £49.99
1 pale pink tencel shirt £29.99
3 prs different coloured 60 denier winter tights £9
I grey furry zipped robe £28
All M&S

I've left out my Primark shop which was under £10 for leggings n socks.

Madmaggie Sun 22-Sep-19 13:01:35

I couldn't manage on 150. After trying other cheaper brands I've returned to m&s underwear because I can guarantee the fit. I need extra wide shoes so have to pay more even in sales. I returned to work for one half day a week and found myself having to buy some good tops & trousers because of their dress code (again, sale offers) but they will dress up or down with a scarf or necklace. Everything I buy now has to work hard & be reduced preferably. I avoid impulse buys now. My sil lost weight and kindly gave me some nice things.

Craftycat Sun 22-Sep-19 13:20:54

No idea but if I see something I like I'll buy it. My problem is I can't throw things away so I have bulging wardrobes full of things I may never wear again.
At a rough guess maybe £600-700.

Tigertooth Sun 22-Sep-19 13:23:43

I spend about £100 a month in clothes.

mumofmadboys Sun 22-Sep-19 13:23:55

If you buy something new every week or month where do you keep it all? On the radio it stated an average woman wears a new clothes item 5 times before discarding it!! I found that very hard to believe.

Harris27 Sun 22-Sep-19 13:29:25

Intend to buy key pieces that will last me such as new top or tunic for Xmas to use as best throughout the going out times. I do spend a lot on clothes usually in the sales but have had to cut back due to circumstances. I look after my clothes and still work so usually still spend around £50 every two months on clothes.

luluaugust Sun 22-Sep-19 13:30:01

I do look for sales but must spend more than £150 as I have to buy specialist shoes. I've never quite got the hang of whether to buy cheap and then chuck away (I don't!) or expensive and have worry of looking after them, shrinking wool jumpers etc. o'h dear.

Anthea1948 Sun 22-Sep-19 13:31:03

I don't know how much I spend on clothes but I doubt it's more than about £100 per year. But I'm with MissAngel here, I'm not that interested in clothes as long as they hide most of the bulges and are comfortable, I'm happy. I don't wear clothes out much and still have plenty that are over 20 years or so old.

jocork Sun 22-Sep-19 13:34:42

£150 is probably about right for me although I may have exceeded that this year, but only because I replaced a worn out pair of shoes with 2 pairs the same style as they were so comfy, then another pair of shoes which I didn't really want but had to because of dress code at work - they decided sandals were not proffesional enough even in the height of summer - so needed a pair of closed front shoes I could wear without socks!
I mostly buy clothes at supermarkets or in sales so never spend much.
The cardigan I wear most of the time when it is cold is well over 30 years old. It was a size 14 and has grown with me although it wouldn't button up now even if it still had all its buttons! I remember buying it in a little boutique in Oxford when I was in my first or second job back in the late 70s. It lurked at the back of the wardrobe for a while as I thought it was too small then discovered it again and now wear it all the time. I often buy 2 different colours of the same style if it is cheap, comfy and suits me.

Maremia Sun 22-Sep-19 13:35:09

Retirement means I only buy what I want to wear, and as I love vintage, my choices are not always in fashion, and the 'look' lasts for longer. Charity shops and sales keep the cost down. By the time they become cast offs, they are worn to bits and go into 'textile' recycling.

Magpie1959 Sun 22-Sep-19 13:52:06

I rarely shop unless I do actually need something but recently had to replace several items due to weight loss. I spent a lot more than £150 but i'm very happy with what I bought.

I've set myself a rule that I will not keep anything unless I love it and feel good wearing it, so all those items that I've kept simply because they were 'too good to throw out' or 'still got plenty of wear in it" have gone. I clear out regularly and sell clothes, bags, shoes etc for 50p per kilo to the local clothes recyclers.

I probably spend more on shoes/boots than most people but that's because I've got really tiny feet (size 2). Shoes for me tend to be expensive and hard to find.

I find it very difficult to buy clothes just because I like them - I have to actually need them! OH doesn't have the same problem, he loves clothes and shoes and feels cheated if he comes home empty handed from the shops!

Sheilasue Sun 22-Sep-19 13:59:15

Look for sales on line and in shops. Very rarely I buy clothes from charity shops never really see anything I like in our local ones.
I think £150 a year is about what I pay that’s not a lot really. My winter clothes are in the suitcase in our wardrobe which I will bring out later in the month and check over.
The SE has quite good winter weather so I don’t buy lots of thick jumpers, just lighter tops. Plenty of scarves and warm coats.

4allweknow Sun 22-Sep-19 14:02:59

When adding up shoes, underwear and all the rest the £150 is low for me but I don't think it frugal.

Witzend Sun 22-Sep-19 14:20:23

mumofmadboys, I had a colleague (my age) who used to buy absolutely masses and masses of clothes, but only if they were really cheap. She'd say, 'Well, even if I only wear it once...'.

She would often tell me that she couldn't possibly afford whatever I'd paid for a new top (usually just M&S) and didn't seem to hear when I pointed out that I probably only bought one top to every 25 she bought. (I'm not exaggerating there.)

craftyone Sun 22-Sep-19 14:30:24

I don`t buy clothes in charity shops, too busy to browse but I do donate to them. No idea how much I spend, if I want it I buy it but mainly I buy if it fits my short body, then I might buy eg a couple of pairs of trousers not one

I recently found and bought short winter tights for rounded ladies, I think I spent £60 but enough for all winter and beyond and what price fit and comfort. It does mean I get to wear my dresses and skirts

Two weeks ago I bought sheepskin short boots and sheepskin slippers and a beautiful sheepskin gilet. No price will be mentioned but they will last me many years. So yes well in excess of £150 spent but I don`t care tbh, I scrimped all my life and these good quality made in Britain garments will last me

grapefruitpip Sun 22-Sep-19 14:31:14

Judging by some of the links and labels mentioned......er a hell of a lot more than £150 a year!!

TerriBull Sun 22-Sep-19 14:32:43

I wouldn't like to say, I buy whatever I want, which would have been a luxury once but sod's law, now I have the money, I'm not that interested in retail therapy these days, in fact i don't find it therapy at all. Possibly because I live within walking distance of a large town that is awash with all the best that clothing shops have to offer. I rather take those shops for granted, in any case I'd much rather browse a book shop, than a dress shop. I buy randomly in fits and starts, I'd hate to do a planned shopping excursion, the pursuit of buying clothes something I loved so much for many years, does nothing for me anymore I'd much rather go out for a walk that takes in the beauty of nature, or visit a NT property.

Witzend Sun 22-Sep-19 14:40:41

Craftyone, would that perchance be a gilet from Celtic Sheepskin? I have lusted after one of those - they often email me since Ive bought boots and slippers from them, and I know dh would not object at all if I treated myself, but I do find myself thinking more frugally nowadays....

The one thing I'm def. going to buy from C. Sheepskin, though, is their infant fleece for new little Gdd due early January - lovely to lie on esp. since dd has hard floors. Can't bring myself to order just yet,though, hopelessly superstitious about buying for new babies before they've arrived safely.

craftyone Sun 22-Sep-19 14:46:16

you clever detective witzend. Yes it is and it is utterly gorgeous toscana. I felt embarrassed at the amount I spent. The boots are the short blue ones with a side zip because I can get them on easily. Nothing else planned for winter

Gma29 Sun 22-Sep-19 14:53:18

It varies a lot from year to year, but would always be a good bit more than £150, which I think is very frugal.

I don’t have masses of clothes, and apart from a couple of ‘dressy’ outfits, I tend to wear things until they start to look a bit tired. I certainly don’t replace things every season. Even so, I don’t think £150 would keep me in shoes and underwear most years. I’m very fortunate I know, that it doesn’t have to.

I do find now that clothes often don’t last like they used to; newer items often wear out while older ones keep going.

janeainsworth Sun 22-Sep-19 14:54:06

On the radio it stated an average woman wears a new clothes item 5 times before discarding it!! I found that very hard to believe

Me too mumofmadboys. My things get a lot more wear than that and the Next cord jeans I've got on today have actually got a hole in the seat, but they're comfy & I keep them for slopping about at home in wink

I remember seeing Mrs Thatcher in a programme about clothes.
Her advice was to only wear clothes that you felt right in, whatever the occasion might be. And that the initial outlay you paid for something wasn't as important as the number of times you wore it, ie, cost per wear.

Most of my things have a very low cost per wear and I've collected them over a long period of time.

grannylyn65 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:05:30

Hardly anything

DoraMarr Sun 22-Sep-19 15:14:37

I probably spend two to three thousand. I love clothes and spend around £150 on a dress, and more if it’s really special. Having said that, I actually don’t buy that many things, just a few nice ones. I have really awkward feet, and I know the brands I can wear comfortably, and they are expensive, but worth it to be comfortable. I have my eye on a pair of Geox bronze leather ankle boots, and I might just buy them when I am in France next week ( no Geox shops near here.)
www.geox.com/en-GB/phaolae_woman-D94FDA000KYC6008.html?ordering=standard-sorting
I don’t feel guilty about spending on clothes: I spent years being careful, with a husband who always said “you don’t need it,” so it’s nice to be able to buy what I want, whether I need it or not.

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 15:41:35

No sure why but I suddenly feel so guilty for spending almost £90 on myself for the first time since I can remember . I doubt I’ll be buying anything else any time soon though .

It’s obviously just spare change to some but it’s a lot to me . And unlike L’Oreal
I’m really not worth it . wink

EllanVannin Sun 22-Sep-19 15:49:57

I used to spend £150 just on perfume when I was working.

gillybob Sun 22-Sep-19 16:02:47

Blimey shock

Perfume is something that I would get as a present for my birthday or Christmas . I would never buy some for myself . Although I confess it would be a delicious treat .

HettyMaud Sun 22-Sep-19 16:23:25

I don't spend much .....but £150? This year I've recently spent £75 just on shoes, earlier in the year £70 on boots in the sale. So footwear alone costs a lot. Mind you, the boots should last me 3 years.

Chucky Sun 22-Sep-19 16:31:45

I think £150 is extremely frugal. I don’t think I spend a lot, but 2 new decent bras, a pack of pants and a new pair of Clark’s sandals and Sketchers trainers (all bought at sale prices), would make that budget disappear before thinking about anything else. I would consider all these to be annual purchases so struggling to see how such a small budget would suffice.

ecci53 Sun 22-Sep-19 16:32:39

Like Terribull, I'd much rather browse in a bookshop. I definitely spend a lot more than £150 per year on books.

Chucky Sun 22-Sep-19 16:36:39

DoraMarr I do like those boots, very nice and fashionable.smile