Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

How much do you spend on clothes in a year?

(202 Posts)
ecci53 Sat 21-Sep-19 22:51:26

Just read on another discussion where someone reckons she is frugal, spending under £150 per year on clothes. That seems like a lot to me.
I spend a lot less than that. Admittedly, I tend to frequent charity shops and jumble sales. I also think ebay is a girl's best friend-buy something nice to wear, and then sell it on when you're fed up with it.
I don't buy clothes every month and I was wondering how much other people spend on clothes in a year.

Sara65 Sat 21-Sep-19 22:54:44

I think if you are spending only £150 pounds a year on clothes, you are being extremely frugal

MissAdventure Sat 21-Sep-19 23:11:43

I doubt I spend that much, but then I'm not very interested in clothes.
As long as they fit and cover up my belly then they'll do.

MawB Sat 21-Sep-19 23:29:46

Oh dear blushblushblush
I easily spend between £100+ a month on clothes, shoes etc

GagaJo Sat 21-Sep-19 23:33:25

Probably about £150 a year. It HAS been more in the past. But I've lost interest in the last 4 or 5 years. There is only so much STUFF anyone needs.

I realised the other day, the very nice dress I was wearing was almost 9 years old. Still looks new. Why replace it?

mumofmadboys Sun 22-Sep-19 00:15:35

I think £150 a year would certainly cover my new clothes easily. Probably less.

Teacheranne Sun 22-Sep-19 00:31:32

I dread to think! Certainly more than £150 a month, let alone a year! This month I bought 2 pairs of Hotter shoes, one pair for winter and one pair of sandals for next summer - both were less than half price in a sale. I also bought a few items of clothes from Cotton Traders ready for the colder weather.

I buy most of my clothes online when reduced but still probably spend too much - but there's no one else but me to care!

Fiachna50 Sun 22-Sep-19 00:34:09

No, I dont spend alot on clothes. Ive bought a top this year to go to a party, thats it. I wouldnt spend that amount on clothes a year.

crazyH Sun 22-Sep-19 00:38:07

I bought a couple of slim leg jeans in summer colours at the M&S sales ...£9 each. 2 summer tops, pack of panties. These, along with what I already have will see me through the summer. I will then buy a couple of winter woolies in October....that will be it for this year.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Sep-19 04:54:43

Most of mine come from Charity shops or ‘George’ or givsies so I don’t spend a lot either I think £150 is low but not particularly frugal

Calendargirl Sun 22-Sep-19 05:28:02

This post just shows how different we all are. I don’t spend much on clothes, keep wearing old favourites for years. Not bothered about what’s fashionable, as long as I look clean, comfy and respectable.
Loathe clothes shopping, sometimes look up say M &S online and read reviews of various items. Amazed how other shoppers buy three or four of same item in various colours, and obviously did the same the previous year. Their wardrobes must be bursting!

Pantglas2 Sun 22-Sep-19 06:27:54

If that includes decent bras as well, it seems a low figure. Due to my cup size, I buy mine at bravissimo and they’re between £30-40 each!

Willow500 Sun 22-Sep-19 06:30:53

I probably used to spend on average about £50 a month but since I retired and don't have the income any more I've stopped watching the shopping channels - also put weight on again and don't feel good in anything any more sad so not as interested in clothes. I think £150 a year is extremely frugal too!

Riverwalk Sun 22-Sep-19 06:37:41

I dread to think! Having initially thought, oh not very much, I've just done a quick totting-up of what I can remember and it comes to about £1000.

£150 a year seems very low, but I'm a reluctant shopper and don't have the patience to browse around charity/discount shops.

MawB Sun 22-Sep-19 06:42:44

Just to throw fuel on the fire, does anybody still shrug off their H comments on “new” clothes with “Oh this old thing? I’ve had it for ages!” (And know nobody believes them?)
Or smuggle things into the house when he is not there?
Now all you liberated women will rise up and Pooh Pooh me as its “your money and your business” - but honestly? grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Sep-19 06:52:54

Not a lot, probably less than the £150 mark. I used to have to spend on clothes for work and now have wardrobes full of things I can wear or adapt if need be. I’m often complimented on outfits that are 10, 15 years old so see no need to change them just for the sake of it. The older I get, the more I hate waste and the less I want to accumulate yet more stuff.

Riverwalk Sun 22-Sep-19 07:03:01

Something along those lines Maw!

I certainly never told my ex how much a visit to the hairdresser cost - it couldn't compare to the £5 plus £1 tip he paid at the local barber grin

Willow500 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:10:03

When my husband was working parcels used to arrive or I'd come home from shopping and it would all be unpacked and put away before he got home so he never knew what I bought. Now he's home most of the time and is more interested plus he now orders stuff himself from A*** so is always aware of parcel deliveries grin

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:17:08

MawB

I have certainly done that, but I don’t know why, because he wouldn’t be the least bit bothered, he’s got an eye for quite expensive clothes himself!

kittylester Sun 22-Sep-19 07:22:30

I buy when I see something I like - with dh's blessing and he does the same. He is good at suggesting clothes I might like. Luckily, we are comfortably off and can afford it. Having 5 children to educate, feed and develop, I spent years having to watch what I spent on clothes and I am enjoying having a little leeway. I don't go mad though.

Scentia Sun 22-Sep-19 07:25:46

I would say that is frugal. I think I am frugal and I spend much more than that. I am not frugal when it comes to clothes for my grandson though and have spent more that that in his already very short 5 months of life??

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:27:37

I don’t know how much I spend, if I like something I buy it, I still work, so have to look reasonably nice every day, I don’t think I’m extravagant though.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:30:53

Scentia

I have six grandchildren, four girls, we go on shopping trips together and it costs me a fortune, but I love to spoil them a bit

dragonfly46 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:36:21

I like clothes and tend to buy what I like when I see it. This year it ranged from a very smart expensive dress to pyjamas from Asda. I have no idea what I spend.

Sara65 Sun 22-Sep-19 07:41:58

I tend to watch out for 20% off days, and flash sales, which come along fairly frequently.