Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Waspi Women lose their fight .....

(9 Posts)
Poppyred Thu 03-Oct-19 10:37:04

What a surprise!

gillybob Thu 03-Oct-19 10:43:01

I was born in 1962 so won't get a state pension until I am over 67 years old. I don't think the decision would have benefitted me in any way, but I am truly gutted for those who might have had their pensions backdated or their retirement brought forward. Not in the slightest bit surprised though.

MawB Thu 03-Oct-19 11:41:35

???for all of you affected.
Being 71 I am not personally affected, but the injustice of how these age boundaries have been moved is appalling.

Mealybug Thu 03-Oct-19 11:46:07

I'm one of them, born in 1955 and told I have to wait until I am 66 in 2021 for my pension. I've paid in all my life (50 years by the time I retire) and I fully expected to receive my pension at 60. I didn't receive notification as a lot of others didn't of the age increases (despite their assurances we did) so today's decision was another blow to our hopes of recompense (which will never happen). There hasn't even been any offer of transitional payments.

Fiachna50 Thu 03-Oct-19 12:07:17

It is terrible. Sadly, not surprised. The ordinary working person in this country doesnt matter. I wont get a pension till I am 67, like others wonder why the h* I bothered working. By the time I get to my pension age, Im convinced free bus travel and all other things available to pensioners will be gone. I always just seem to miss out on stuff. Nobody in any government gives a s***, as long as they are alright.

ninathenana Thu 03-Oct-19 12:30:55

Born at the beginning of '54 I just scraped in to receive my pension this year at 65. I do agree that it was fair to bring us in line with men rather than 60.
I feel for those who have to wait. I would struggle to still be working at 67.

Gonegirl Thu 03-Oct-19 12:32:33

The buggers. angry

Jane10 Thu 03-Oct-19 12:36:40

I just missed out by a matter of weeks. No notification of change. My retirement planning was all based around finishing at 60 then boom another 6 years added on too late to make alternative plans.

gillybob Thu 03-Oct-19 12:36:57

I don't think the "bringing in line with men thing" was fair really.

Women have always been the main carers in the family and this is even more significant these days when many women (myself included) are looking after grandchildren and elderly parents whilst trying to work too.

Up until only 3 years ago I was looking after 3 DGC, my disabled mum, my father and my 99 year old grandma on an almost daily basis and having to work as well.