Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Family member fraud.

(15 Posts)
CaroleAnne Sun 20-Oct-19 12:59:49

I am the eldest of four siblings. My mother sustained a brain stem bleed at the beginning of June and was admitted to hospital. She sadly died on 1st of July.
On freezing her bank account I discovered that £2000 had been removed fraudulantly. 7 lots of £200 on consecutive days before her death(when she was semi conscious)
and 3 further amounts after her death of £200, one actually removed barely one hour after her death.
My youngest brother was her financial power of attorney and arranged her funeral.
I payed the undertaker via her estate for the funeral and my brother stated that he payed for the food and flowers in cash and has submitted an invoice to my late mothers bank for 're imbursement. He states that he used his own money to pay for this.
Initially my brother stated when questioned that my mothers bank card had been stolen, so in conjunction with the bank we reported it to the police.
A while later my other brother wrote to me stating that they knew all along that the money was missing and indeed my younger brother and maybe sister as well had removed £1400 before death and that my younger brother had removed £600
after her death (albeit naively as he put it.!!) and it would appear that they are covering up for the younger one.
This is now in the hands of the police who are looking into theft and fraud by deception.
There is a whole other issue to go into also regarding her equity from the sale of the property (which she owned in joint with my younger brother. ) which is nowhere to be found to the tune of £300,000.
He sold the property three years ago for £635,000 and bought another one in his name only for£450,000 I think that he was forced to sell due to a charge that was on the property which was discharged I believe when the house was sold. I believe that my mother was coerced to sell in order to pay his debts.
I am not asking for advice just support as it is pretty gruelling. Fortunately I have my dear husband who is looking after the case and dealing with matters.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. It is wonderful to know that
I am able to express myself on this forum in an anonymous way to get it off my chest.
My best wishes Carole.

grannyactivist Sun 20-Oct-19 13:03:25

Oh dear, what a sad tale. I am so sorry that these monetary matters are intruding at a time when you are grieving the loss of your mother and I hope that family relationships can survive even though trust has been lost.

MamaCaz Sun 20-Oct-19 13:14:16

That is a very sorry state of affairs. Thank goodness you have a supportive husband flowers

Feel free to sound off on here - but do be prepared to ignore any of the less empathetic gransnetters who might pop up on here to make nasty, judgemental, unhelpful comments.

Oopsminty Sun 20-Oct-19 13:16:30

Awful for you, CaroleAnne.

We had a few issues with my sibling shortly before and after my mother's death but nothing like the magnitude that you're facing.

Good luck

BlueBelle Sun 20-Oct-19 13:22:14

Oh Carol what a dreadful story if you can’t trust family members who can you trust ? What a very sad story it seems there are four siblings and the youngest one and possibly another are doing the thieving how could they do that to their mother and as granny says all comes to light at the time you should be drawing together and grieving for your Mum
I m glad you have handed it over to the police and that you have a firm backup and support in your husband and hopefully the other brother

MawB Sun 20-Oct-19 13:23:12

What a minefield!
Are you her executor?
I am glad you are not having to cope with this on your own, but what a bitter taste it must leave. ?

CaroleAnne Sun 20-Oct-19 13:26:35

Thank you for your replies. The other three siblings are no longer speaking to me so I am going it alone. I will do all I can to stand up for my mother post mortem and wished that I could have done more to support her when she was alive.

crazyH Sun 20-Oct-19 13:29:07

How sad - condolences on the loss of your dear mother. I hear so many stories like this - family fallouts over inheritance. I hope things will be sorted soon without too much acrimony and bitterness.

CaroleAnne Sun 20-Oct-19 13:40:14

Thank you Maw. It is good to know that you are there. You always make good common sense.
My mother died interstate. My younger brother and sister wanted to take over and I would have been happy for them to do so until I discovered that after three weeks after her death her bank account was still open(after my brother had assured us that her bank account had already been closed) and the money missing. I dread to think how much may have been removed if I had not taken the reins. The bank have made me the personal administrator and it all has to go through me.
She left so very little and they had already taken 25%.
I will do everything I can to give her back the respect and dignity that she so deserved post mortem whatever it takes. Carole.

MawB Sun 20-Oct-19 13:46:18

Dying intestate is a nightmare in itself but perhaps HMG will be more ruthless in chasing up the missing funds than a sibling might have been, but what a foolish waste of all your mum might have saved for and hoped to pass on to her children
Apart from your present problem, ths should be a lesson to anybody who has put off making a will.

CaroleAnne Sun 20-Oct-19 15:12:02

Thank you again Maw. Yes we are certainly getting in touch with HMRC tomorrow.

MawB Sun 20-Oct-19 15:14:45

Given that HMG are entitled to the estate I would expect them to be quicker off the mark themselves.

Davidhs Sun 20-Oct-19 15:25:07

My sympathy, I do hope she didn’t die intestate because it’s going to get very difficult , if there are executors at least it might get sorted out within the family. If your brother had official power of attorney, abusing that trust is serious.

MawB Sun 20-Oct-19 15:27:53

OP has said her mother did die intestate David

Davidhs Sun 20-Oct-19 15:30:09

HMG will not be entitled to the estate, it has to be distributed according to set rules and no changes, in any case they will check everything, there may be tax to pay.