Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

AIBU?

(12 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 08:09:40

I took some legal documents to be copied and certified by my local solicitors. I need them for an overseas job.

The solicitor had to copy them, stamp them, sign and date them and certify them as true copies. The documents then have to be sent to get an apostille certificate. After that, I have to go to the Chinese embassy, to get them finally authenticated.

The whole process costs about £60 per document. China is notoriously picky. Everything has to be done perfectly.

I got the documents back from the solicitor yesterday. The copies are exceptionally LOW quality, black and white. Very blurred. I'm pretty sure the Chinese embassy will not accept them even with an apostille certificate.

I've emailed the solicitor, saying they'll need to be done again. I am PROVIDING the colour copies this time. They'll just need to stamp, sign, date.

Am I being unreasonable? I just DON'T want to spend a fortune AND waste the only time I've got available to get to the embassy (in itself an expensive whole day trek), only to be told they won't accept them. To be honest, I'm shocked at the exceptionally low quality.

Riverwalk Thu 12-Dec-19 08:16:15

It might not be acceptable for the Chinese embassy but for anything else The Post Office have an accredited service which I recently used to claim a private pension.

It was only £12.75 for three documents

Post Office

GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 08:22:39

The embassy have a specified three step process I need to follow. Solicitor. Apostille certificate. Visit them with both PLUS originals for verification in person. Which is fine BUT the Human Resources department of my new employer didn't tell me that and it took me a while to work it out.

So time is now tight.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 12-Dec-19 08:57:59

No you are not being unreasonable, you need to have everything perfect for the Chinese. I applied for just a visa when I was in Asia, it was a right song and dance, photo not good enough, then something else. In the end we didn't go.

Just for the record I POA for my daughter and the Office of the Public Guardian messed up, long story, but it ended with them having to issue me new documents which were black blurred copies of the old document. I sent them back saying I wanted documents that looked professional.

Madmaggie Thu 12-Dec-19 14:01:27

Should be of a proper standard and 'fit for purpose' the ones provided are unacceptable. You would be within your rights to report them if you lose out or incur further expense. They must make it right. Don't take any waffle from them. Bon voyage.

4allweknow Thu 12-Dec-19 16:39:30

YANBU solicitor's copies should have been of good quality. China is very very picky. K now a 25 year old who was going out to teach. Seemed to do all you are having to do. Got to airport with colleague who was allowed through, friend wasn't as apparently her papers weren't in order. They had exactly the documents all dated, issued same place same time. Only difference was passport details. Colleagues went on, friend spent a month going through process again and of course had to buy new airfare. You are wise to be very careful.

Gonegirl Thu 12-Dec-19 16:54:38

You are not being unreasonable. Probably some office worker not doing a good enough job.

They must be done again without charge. Good luck.

Aepgirl Thu 12-Dec-19 16:56:16

I think your solicitor has been very unprofessional, and should either refund you, or do the job properly.

GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 16:57:07

They got pissed off when I typed a VERY polite email and said they'd refund. No offer to redo. SO I've taken my own copies elsewhere and had them done. Much better and half the price!

Callistemon Thu 12-Dec-19 17:04:23

No, YANBU

There is no excuse for poor copies these days and whoever signed them should have realised they would probably not be acceptable.

absthame Thu 12-Dec-19 17:38:24

Unless the photos inparticular are not of good quality and conform precisely to the chinese specifications all will be rejected. They use AI facial recognition and will not permit anything that reduces the the accuracy of their scans. No fringes, no coloured background, no jewelry etc.

Lovelaughlive Fri 13-Dec-19 05:28:26

YANBU. Most people who have travelled and worked abroad, know that the Chinese are very exacting in their standards, to say the least. Nothing sort of perfectionism isn’t good enough.