Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Premium Bonds. No wins.

(87 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 15-Dec-19 20:01:02

I know the number of prizes has been cut but I want to know whether other people think that prizes have been more or less abandoned?
How many wins did you get during 2019 compared to previous years?
I bought £10,000 worth a year ago then the same again in April and have won nothing at all. Am I the only one?

Callistemon Wed 13-May-20 23:07:24

Well, that's wonderful!
Every month I look to see how much the million pound winners hold and it's usually quite a lot if not the full amount.

How exciting would that be.

I was very pleased to win £50 this month.

I think that the amount people will be able to invest will increase because the Government will need to borrow more to pay for the consequences of the virus.

harrigran Wed 13-May-20 23:36:33

I think if you have had premium bonds for 20+ years and not had a win then you should write to NS&I, it could be that change of address has not been logged.
My winnings average £650 a year and I do not have the maximum holding.
I buy GC bonds for every birthday and have been doing it since birth, they are a good way of saving for them.

watermeadow Fri 12-Jun-20 10:13:20

I started this thread six months ago and am very surprised at how much and how often many of you win.
Today I got my first win on the £20000 I bought last year. It’s £25!
I’d assumed that the number of prizes had been drastically reduced but it seems to be purely bad luck that my bonds never win (until today’s kick in the teeth)
A few years ago I had about £8000 worth and won a small prize at least four times every year.

Charleygirl5 Fri 12-Jun-20 10:19:45

Most months, but not this one, I win at least £25 and sometimes that is multiplied by 3 or 4. I do not think I have won any more- but every month I wait for a million to drop in my lap. I am aware that may take more years than I have left!

I think half the problem is that there are a lot of people with premium bonds nowadays.

Dee1012 Mon 19-Oct-20 11:17:39

I just came across this thread and found it quite interesting.

I had a direct debit set up to buy premium bonds each month (not a large amount by any means) and while it was in effect, I won virtually every month i.e in 2019 for ten out of 12 months...never more than £50 though!
I ended the direct debit earlier this year and funnily enough, all winnings have ceased.
Coincidence?

watermeadow Mon 19-Oct-20 16:03:15

Dee1012 - I too have my suspicions about how random the wins are. I noticed that every time I cashed in bonds I got a win (incentive to buy more?)
After buying £20,000-worth last year I won nothing until well over a year later. I picture a little man in the back office noticing that I’d been missed and hastily chucking prizes at me 4 months running. Since June I’ve won £350.
Nice but my suspicions remain.

Dee1012 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:24:01

watermeadow, funnily enough a colleague mentioned a similar situation to me yesterday too

Let's hope the little man in the office notices us again!grin

Beauregard Tue 20-Oct-20 13:49:52

I noticed we seemed more likely to win with newly purchased bonds, and then nothing for ages.

I love it when that envelope drops on the mat - the anticipation of how much we've won. Then finding its (always) £25. Better than nothing though. We haven't won anything for a long time now. I hear they're stopping sending postal payments in the future.

PollyDolly Tue 20-Oct-20 13:57:27

I'm convinced NS & I have mislaid my numbers! I've held a considerable amount of premium bonds for many years and I've only ever won £25 which was last year! Seriously thinking of cashing them in.

dragonfly46 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:59:48

I win most months - it was £150 last month.

Charleygirl5 Tue 20-Oct-20 14:01:08

Any wins I had were always reinvested so I have many mini-blocks of £25.

My personal feeling is the more premium bonds one has in a block the more likely one is to win.

many years ago one could only buy around £4000 in a block rather than eg £10,000.

Somebody has to win the million so why not me?