Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Following on from the ‘ last thing you bought’ thread,

(23 Posts)
BBbevan Sun 29-Dec-19 21:06:21

Sunday papers. £4-50 No supplement in the Sunday Express, and I love doing the crossword. And no Culture magazine with the Sunday Times. Quite disappointing really.

janeainsworth Sun 29-Dec-19 07:24:00

£150 on a warm technical jacket in the Rohan sale.
£9 admission to the Enchanted Interiors exhibition at the Laing Art Gallery in Newcastle (recommended, it will be in London in a few weeks)
£6 on lunch & coffee in the Laing
£38 in the Co-op replenishing stocks before DD, DSiL & 2 x DGC arrive today to stay for a few days smile

kittylester Sun 29-Dec-19 07:20:59

£5.50 on parking to enable us to research new carpets, curtains and furniture.

We almost spent £300 on a coffee table but we didnt quite have the confidence!!

Dh paid for tea and cake to help us recover from our endeavours - that was extremely necessary!

shysal Sun 29-Dec-19 07:18:41

£24.91 on Amazon this morning, for a trilogy of books for part of DD1's 50th birthday present.
Apart from that the last I spent was 60p for 3 bags of parsnips on Christmas eve. I have plenty of food for a week or two, still eating turkey in various guises.

BradfordLass72 Sun 29-Dec-19 07:11:36

Nowt.
I'm from Yorkshire grin

suzied Sun 29-Dec-19 05:56:34

£18 at the launderette getting 4 lots of bedding and towels washed and dried after Christmas guest have gone home. I could have done it myself and had everything drying all over the house for days but felt it a worth while expense for one less chore.

MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-19 23:20:45

£1.10, on milk.

I would love to have spent a lot more today, because I went to a local garden centre with my mum and saw some lovely half-price Christmas ornaments that I would have liked to buy for future use, but although I don't actually have any already, I don't 'need' them so didn't buy them. Doesn't stop me from thinking about them though ... sad

mumofmadboys Sat 28-Dec-19 23:15:38

£3 on a second hand book from Amazon. The White Lie Anyone read it??

Ninarosa Sat 28-Dec-19 22:56:47

dragonfly46.. Silk pillow slips also allegedly kinder to facial wrinkles accrued in the night. One is supposed to wake up to a more visibly refreshed look. Do let us know if this appears to be true. I could then invest, and jettison my vanishing cream. which so does not live up to it's title.

Chewbacca Sat 28-Dec-19 22:51:04

£20.09 at Lidl. 8 free range chicken breasts (reduced to £4.75) and to put in packs of 2 in the freezer; fresh bread and croissants; double cream (for the trifle tomorrow); new potatoes (ditto); washing powder and fabric conditioner and a box of medjool dates stuffed with marzipan and pistachio nuts (for me). Necessary purchases? Mostly!

Bathsheba Sat 28-Dec-19 22:39:30

£29.94: £1 on parking, £12.50 on lunch, £9.45 on a few groceries from Tesco, £6.99 on a book for our granddaughter.

Was any of it necessary? Well I suppose we could have stayed at home and had lunch from the fridge. But given that we were out, we needed to eat somewhere. And given that we were using the car we needed to park somewhere.
I suppose one or two of the grocery items were not necessary (Thai green curry mix? hmm)
But the book was entirely necessary, as all books are, especially when they are for children smile

Ninarosa Sat 28-Dec-19 22:38:39

Was thinking, only £2..60p on a box of chocolate Weetos for my grown up son, not necessary as he could have bought his own. Then I too remembered an earlier on line purchase of a pair of very Bet Lynch leopard print furry slippers.Necessary because husband had handed over his readies at Christmas to this end.

Urmstongran Sat 28-Dec-19 22:33:23

I spent £1.50 in Sainsbury’s. I bought two large potatoes.

dragonfly46 Sat 28-Dec-19 22:32:29

£40 at Amazon for 2 pure silk pillow cases for myself and my daughter as they are supposed to be kind to your hair.

MawB Sat 28-Dec-19 22:22:41

I spent £62.50: taking my DD, SI and DGS out to lunch, plus tip, totalling £70 Was it necessary? Well, of course.
Does spending £45 online on a pair of jeans count? Necessary, no way but continuing on my fruitless search for jeans which fit. ??

Scribbles Sat 28-Dec-19 20:56:49

£29 and a few pennies for fruit, bread rolls and meat for the coming week.

Calendargirl Sat 28-Dec-19 20:28:24

£3 at the butcher’s for shin of beef, then £9.14 at Tesco’s for avocados, asparagus, pears, a banana and 3 reduced price chicken breasts to put in the freezer.

tanith Sat 28-Dec-19 20:23:06

Is spent £4:20 at the co-op on milk, raspberries and the paper. I haven’t done a proper shop I have everything I need either in the freezer or fridge. Lots of veg, bread etc and frozen things I can use to make a meal.

MiniMoon Sat 28-Dec-19 20:22:57

Meant to say, it wasn't necessary, but DH wanted to see it.

MiniMoon Sat 28-Dec-19 20:21:56

£1:99.

Rented a movie from Amazon.

JackyB Sat 28-Dec-19 20:14:14

I spent nothing today - I did all my shopping yesterday. Since I've been retired I try not to go shopping when working people have time to shop. I was one of them once and could often only go when the shops were full.

Mind you, with the German shop opening regulations, the shops were really full yesterday, having been closed for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and most of Christmas Eve.

Yesterday I spent about €56 in Aldi and €27 at another supermarket.

Daddima Sat 28-Dec-19 20:10:37

I remember my friend doing this, as she couldn’t bear to actually cut down on her spending, but wanted to see what the situation would be if she had to stop work.
She got quite a shock!

Daddima Sat 28-Dec-19 20:07:07

How much did you spend today, and was it all necessary?
I spent £71. £41 in M&S ( unnecessary) , gave my son £20 for petrol ( probably unnecessary, but I felt I wanted to), and £10 in the butcher’s for a steak pie and square sausage for my brother to take back to England, ( again unnecessary, but I wouldn’t dream of taking the money from him)
I’d guess I may spend nothing at all tomorrow and Monday, but who knows?