Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Cashless society

(86 Posts)
Sparkling Thu 02-Jan-20 20:01:54

Has anyone gone cashless? I am getting fed up with the amount of coins weighing me down each day after purchases.
Do you just use your bank debit card for small items such as a coffee or newspaper?

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 05:41:19

My grandkids don’t use money at all everything is on their phones

suzied Fri 03-Jan-20 05:57:49

Most buskers on the underground now have a pay pad which you can tap with your contactless card and it gives them £2.

downtoearth Fri 03-Jan-20 07:51:29

Cash for me as very tight budget.

kittylester Fri 03-Jan-20 08:02:08

ga, I like having cash in my purse too but rarely spend it as I find I am using a card more.

I'm slightly averse to using my phone but I have no idea why!confused

Newquay Fri 03-Jan-20 08:24:44

I’ve cancelled my contactless cards so a PIN has to be used. I do use cash.
Funnily enough in the Bible it talks about a cashless society being a sign of the end times. . .

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 08:30:35

newquay I cancelled my contactless after my purse was stolen I feel much safer with money in my purse and a debit card for larger items
Never heard that bible story but Nostradamus had a few things that seem to be coming right too didn’t he? scary stuff Especially after Trumps overnight games

jusnoneed Fri 03-Jan-20 08:32:04

Almost totally cash. I only use a credit card for the few online purchases I make a year, even had to check with the bank what the pin number is as I never use it otherwise lol, and have never put my debit card/bank details anywhere online other than one DD for broadband.

It would be far too easy for some to keep spending on plastic, and likely to become easier over time. No wonder some end up in such debt.

oldgoat Fri 03-Jan-20 08:35:24

In my role as treasurer of a women's group, I still handle a lot of cash, from members' subscriptions, the monthly raffle and takings from fund-raising stalls. Without cash transactions the latter two would be very difficult.
Luckily, we do live fairly near a bank where I can pay in the takings.

On holiday last year in Dartmouth, we had to use cards in one shop who refuse cash because there are no banks still open in the town where they can deposit their takings.

JackyB Fri 03-Jan-20 08:52:17

Cashless hasn't caught on in Germany so much. Cash is still the main form of payment.

However, my purse with euros is never as heavy or bulky as my purse with pounds, so the weight of cash has never really been an issue.

Before the Euro, it was very noticeable that cash was much bulkier in the UK and in Greece. Other currencies seemed to balance it out better.

Flossieturner Fri 03-Jan-20 10:55:42

I like cashless as it is easier to keep records of where the money is going.

Pittcity Fri 03-Jan-20 11:04:18

I still see older people with large wads of cash in shops. Are they more afraid of using plastic than of being mugged for the cash?
If a card is stolen it can be cancelled and the bank should refund....no such guarantee with cash.

ladymuck Fri 03-Jan-20 11:08:46

We need to fight to keep cash. We managed to convince the banks not to do away with cheques.
Yesterday, I had to wait in the bank, and was surprised at just how many people came in to withdraw cash from the machines. I can't see cash being fazed out.

TerryM Fri 03-Jan-20 11:09:49

Mostly cashless however we do have cash for "just in case" scenarios
Even our fish and chip shop now accepts cards.

Theoddbird Fri 03-Jan-20 11:10:49

Most purchases I make are under £30 so I use contactless. I keep small amounts of cash as well...pound coin for trolly etc.

rafichagran Fri 03-Jan-20 11:22:22

I am only using cash at the moment as my card may have had a fruadulant transaction on it.
Before this happened I very rarely used cash but now I see it has place and would not want to lose the option. I should get a replacement card early next week. X

rafichagran Fri 03-Jan-20 11:22:52

Sorry did not mean the x at the end.

gillybob Fri 03-Jan-20 11:25:18

Oops didn’t realise there were 2 threads on this subject .

I can see both sides of this argument .

On one hand there is the massive amount of undeclared cash changing hands in businesses ( hairdressers, bars, window cleaners , takeaways etc) .

And on the other those who would struggle with PIN numbers and plastic .

TrendyNannie6 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:57:10

Always have 30 pound of cash in my purse pay milkman window cleaner with cash, but do use card for main shopping odd bills, never use contactless like to use pin

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jan-20 12:02:47

What does it say Newquay in the Bible about a cashless society being a sign of the end times. . .

I haven't ever come across this and wonder why? Surely exchange preceded cash, logically? At least from a religious perspective I would have thought no cash at all would be better... and technically, I thought we were already in the "end times" anyway. I'm not very well read biblically but understood the resurrection and ascension of Jesus marked the beginning of the end times?

However, in answer to the simple question "Has anyone gone cashless?" - I'd say mostly.
I can see how it would be hard if you had only cash these days but I do personally find a card easier.
Some people need cash it seems. I do wonder why when they are businesses and it does make me wonder about the taxes they are paying. A local take-away for example is cash only. And I recently had a plumber to do an emergency job who wanted cash "as it's easier " - which of course it wasn't.

Given that the young man who cuts my hedge wanted me to transfer the money into his business account "as it's easier tax-wise to have it all together" I can only think some places are not 100% above board.
Just a thought.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 03-Jan-20 12:05:44

I use cards with exception to certain supermarket parking fees and their trolleys where there is not an option.

EllanVannin Fri 03-Jan-20 12:06:56

I still like a certain amount of cash----taxi's if needed, even bus fare if I've left my pass in another coat. Better that than panicking or getting in a flap. Cash is still king.

PennyWhistle Fri 03-Jan-20 12:32:55

DH and I opened a new bank account with another bank and keep maximum of £200 in the account. We use the card for this account for smaller purchases and for car parking etc. This way we feel that a stolen or cloned card will not wipe us out financially. Likewise I have a credit card with small limit just for use online.

Like others, we do keep a little old fashioned cash to hand ... just in case.

Horatia Fri 03-Jan-20 12:35:21

I'm sticking to cash where possible. My son only used cards until he shared a taxi one night after a transfer didn't arrive. He couldn't pay his share in cash like everyone else and offering his card to pay was such a fuss. It isn't always easier. I like money as its tangible and I agree children need to get a feel of its value also.

Saggi Fri 03-Jan-20 12:52:01

I have a good friend who is SO old fashioned that she makes a WEEKLY trip to post office to collect her pension... it’s a quite small queue now....goes home and allocated amounts of money to different pots or jars ( utilities, rent,food,hols,savings etc.) and then over course if nest week spends her time going to different shops to lay these things! I remember my parents doing that on the 50’s.... but as soon as they opened a bank account their life changed for better. Imagine amount of money people keep in their pot/jars across this country because nobody took the bother to explain and ‘sort it out ‘ for them. I’ve tried...she just shuts down and refuses to listen!! She needed the number of local taxi firm on NYE and couldn’t find the little cards they hand out...I asked was it in her find book....she got out a notepad and thumbed through it...I explained I meant the fone book ON HER MOBILE.... she looked at me blankly. They have no broadband but managed to google the number she wanted , and thought the technology wonderful...butNO way was she going learn the basics! I get very annoyed!

Chino Fri 03-Jan-20 13:04:16

Use cash 75% of the time and make sure I dispose of small coins most days - pity Tesco give out so many in change