Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Moving to retirement complex,been advised to change will need advice.

(27 Posts)
Elenkalubleton Thu 30-Jan-20 09:31:24

We are in the process of moving,husband been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.a friend of a friend who is a Will writer has told us to sign the contract for our new place as “common tenancy”to protect either one of us from paying nursing home fees.Meaning the funds can only be used for whoever has to go into home,for there half of property.Another friend has told me that this is not necessary,and that the one remaining at home will never be made homeless.Also the Will writer has said he will make a new Will for us? Whereas I’ve also heard we just need to change the address on our original Will.I am needing to know what to do,and soon.Ive never had to do anything like this before,and finding the responsibilities difficult.Any advice,really appreciated.

Sparkling Mon 03-Feb-20 06:24:06

So sorry Elllen, your head must be all over the place, just another worry. Please, please go to a solicitor for advice, don't just depend on a will writer, you need to protect yourself. I cannot see how you could ever be homeless, it won't happen, but you need advice.