Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Alert - spam just received

(41 Posts)
Ginny42 Fri 14-Feb-20 11:53:09

Just had a text from Barclays bank telling me my account balance and saying it is within the arranged overdraft fee-free amount agreed.

I don't have an account with Barclays, but if you do, this sounds like a scam so don't be tempted to respond. Call the bank directly if unsure. Hope no one falls for a scam.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Feb-20 12:25:20

This has been doing the rounds forever ginny you are lucky to have only just come across it
The golden rule is no banks send you a text

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Feb-20 13:57:06

I hadn’t heard about this one and it sounds very plausible and easy to fall for if you have a Barclays account. Thanks for the alert. I assume the balance they quoted would be wrong and you would be encouraged to respond? (Although it wouldn’t have occurred to me to have texted back as we have a branch in walking distance.)

Artdecogran Fri 14-Feb-20 14:03:35

You have a bank in walking distance!!!

I live near Heathrow airport and my nearest is 3 miles away!

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Feb-20 14:10:42

We have two - Barclays and TSB - she says smugly! We did have a Santander too but it closed last autumn.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Feb-20 15:44:25

I m a lucky lady all the banks are within a mile of my home Barclays, Lloyds midland, Nat west, Santana, nationwide Halifax the only one gone is TSB but I rarely use them as I do it all online ?

Chestnut Fri 14-Feb-20 15:48:38

Never respond to anything from anyone! Go to the official website or phone the official phone number if you want to query it. They are all scams.

kittylester Fri 14-Feb-20 16:03:09

BlueBelle you are wrong. I have just this minute had a text from the bank confirming that we have just set up a new recipient to do a bank transfer.

J52 Fri 14-Feb-20 16:06:36

My bank always texts me, if I have transferred money. They advise me to go to the bank if it wasn’t me.
Sometimes the text arrives before I’ve left the bank building.

Daddima Fri 14-Feb-20 16:12:04

I also get texts from RBS confirming online transfers of money. They’ve also set me up to be notified if my account gets near to zero, to avoid overdraft fees. This was after they charged me £12 for being overdrawn by £1.50 for one day!

CrazyGrandma2 Sat 15-Feb-20 10:29:13

My bank also sends texts to confirm it is me setting up a new DD or transferring money. I think their security is impressive!

BlueSapphire Sat 15-Feb-20 10:34:50

My bank texts me to tell me when a payment is due on my credit card.

Annaram1 Sat 15-Feb-20 10:53:12

I get several scam calls a week. Not necessarily from my bank but also from Amazon to say they are renewing my Prime account (which I have never had) for £79. Yesterday I won the US Lottery 2nd prize of $100000 Lucky me.

Tanjamaltija Sat 15-Feb-20 10:56:54

I have received these notices from Banks as well as Insurance Agencies - and of course, I don't have accounts with any of them. They are hit-or-miss scams.

Oopsminty Sat 15-Feb-20 10:57:10

The golden rule is no banks send you a text

That's not true at all

They regularly send texts to people pointing out unusual transactions on cards, account balances heading toward overdraft, payments due etc etc

pen50 Sat 15-Feb-20 10:59:03

Mine uses text codes when setting up new payees.

allule Sat 15-Feb-20 10:59:23

Another side effect of all these scans is that banks have to take more and more precautions. Last night I paid an account to a regular recipient, and after several warnings to check I knew it was genuine, I had to re-enter my security details and then have a code sent to my mobile phone.
Not really complaining, but these fraudsters mean that the simplicity of online banking gets harder and harder.

Granny23 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:01:45

Last week I had an e.mail from 'Support' re Income Tax refund. Deleted without opening as I do not pay tax - income below the threshold- but might have tempted someone expecting a refund.

jocork Sat 15-Feb-20 11:06:13

I get a text if I overdraw telling me to pay money into my account by the end of the day. This avoids me paying charges. I like the fact that banks are now so much more vigilant but it can make life difficult when setting up new payments online.

Riggie Sat 15-Feb-20 11:10:27

Blue Belle I have had texts from my bank!! But being wary I called them on their regular number to check rather than the number in the text.

(It was to tell me a card payment hadn't gone through)

WoodLane7 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:12:30

My bank texts me an online code if I am doing internet banking and will also text me reminders about forthcoming appointments

Marydoll Sat 15-Feb-20 11:14:11

This morning I had a scam telephone call fom India (?) about the insurance on my old Sky equipment.

I gave her short shrift, we have never had Sky! It would have been so easy to be taken in.

polnan Sat 15-Feb-20 11:36:17

now I know why I don`t like texts. I have two mobile phones, rarely switch them on, they are for emergency!

BonnieBlooming Sat 15-Feb-20 11:36:28

We have had 16 calls this week from "BT" My husband tried to block the calls but they just came from a different number. Eventually he actually rang BT and their response ? Buy a new more up to date phone!! !!

Nannan2 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:40:08

Yes if youve signed up for txts& emails they do send you them!