Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Son looking for money.

(93 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Tue 14-Jul-20 18:48:22

My son has helped me look after my money so he knows I have still cash from an inheritance. However I don't have a work pension so don't have more coming in. He knows I gave other son help when he got married so now he has asked for quite a large sum to buy a rental as an investment.I feel I can't refuse but worry about the future.

luluaugust Thu 16-Jul-20 09:15:00

I presume he has watched a few TV programmes where people have done this and turned over a tidy sum but that is so often not the reality. A couple of bad tenants, someone who wrecks the property or other landlord and tenant problems can bring huge problems. This is not a cast iron safe investment and with everything going on at present who knows where property prices will end up. You could say that you are not prepared to consider a lend now for that reason alone.

notnecessarilywiser Thu 16-Jul-20 09:16:12

Since this son is privy to your finances, ask him to show you how your capital will support you during your retirement. If his forecast doesn't include schemes such as equity release or reliance on state provision in the event you need care in your later years, you may see that you can afford to help him with his proposed investment. But if his forecast doesn't include holidays, entertainment and other "extras" for you, beware - as @Humbertbear says.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:17:50

You Can refuse and you must, tell your son that he will get the same amount as you gave his brother left to him in your will, plus whatever else is left. Or give it to him now if you can afford it.
I know it’s too late, but if you gave to one son then you should really give the same amount to this son as well.
A buy to let investment isn’t all it’s cracked up to be .
Been there , got the tee shirt !

pennykins Thu 16-Jul-20 09:26:07

Oh dear, money causes more problems within families than anything else.
As you have given one son money I would feel that you should give your son the same amount but no more and tell him your position.
We have given all our son's a deposit to get them on the property ladder and make sure they get the same.

Nannan2 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:33:25

As others have said here, and some do seem quite knowledgeable on the subject, i would take financial and legal advice first, as its a large sum, also you need it for retirement, and if you do end up needing it for care of any sort, its quite a minefield how they charge/ make you pay for it, also if he's hoping to 'pass it off ' as a gift to tax man I'm sure its not that simple and he would be 'sussed out' somehow on that? He cant AFFORD to buy or invest in any property by his own means, so why should you just dish it out to him? Also if hes no other cash, whats he going to use if this property needs repairs?either now or in the future? Is he going to expect that from you too? Also im sure he still has to pay some kind of taxes as a house owner himself anyway wont he,if its not to be lived in by himself,but as an 'investment'- this sounds like a 'pie in the sky' idea to me!- id also ask- how big WAS other sons wedding exactly? If you gave him a chunk for that, yet this son wants to buy a HOUSE? citing what you gave his brother as a reason to tip up to him too? Surely it cant have been same as a house costs these days? It looks to me like THIS son is the 'favourite'- not the other- so then your other son would be left feeling miffed? You cant hand out large chunks to one just because hes 'got no savings& needs something for his future"? We ALL need that- few of us are lucky enough to be in the position to have it- whose fault is it that he has not? His own? Not yours im sure- he needs to find work, if hes physically/mentally able and make his own future as your other adult children presumably have done? What about your other children anyway?you mention other son, what about others? Did they have a monetary gift also? Or do they expect one? If not now, maybe upon your passing? What then? You put cat among pigeons when you gave money for first sons wedding, but also when you got this sons 'help' to deal with your finances! You should have taken proper legal/financial help then, not from family.You WILL need your money for your own future, this is clear- you could live very many happy years yet- you need to have the cash for that- who knows what little there will be for state pensions after this covid situation has cost government so much.Dont rely on a cushy (or even comfortable) retirement unless you have your own money for that, just say you cant afford to give him money for what he wants right now, but of course if he marries you could offer him same towards a wedding as his brother if you wished- that seems fairer to all than, 'i paid for a wedding, so ill buy you a house' doesnt it?hmm

Rondetto Thu 16-Jul-20 09:36:03

My advice is yes go ahead but: Make very very very sure that you put it in writing. I have bought mu family cars and borrowed them thousands of pounds and they promised to pay back monthly, never seen a penny.
I know now that I should have had it in writing with their signature with their promise. I will never make that mistake again.

antheacarol55 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:36:35

Why wouldn’t you want to help your other son?
Especially when you said he’s help you with your money .
Do you love your other son more?
Seems very odd to me .
Have you left them equal amounts in your will?
Or have you left your favourite son more ?
I would be very hurt if I was your son .
Your money your choice
Also it could help you when you get to pension age to get other benefits if you don’t have savings .

nokkie Thu 16-Jul-20 09:53:44

I would urge caution here kircubbin2000. Of course we want to do the best for our children but you say your son does not have savings? Is he therefore expecting you to finance his dream? Its not just the deposit, solicitors fees and 3% stamp duty to consider. When you rent out a property there are costs - tenancy agreement (£500) insurance, gas safety certificate etc. What if you get a bad tenant and they stop paying are you expected to pay the mortgage - if your son doesn't have savings how is he going to pay? Its not all roses. I know because my daughter bought a Buy to Let property and she has been OK but her friend in a similar position has not been so lucky. You say you have other children - are they going to want the same handout?

Dibbydod Thu 16-Jul-20 10:00:30

I would give him exactly the same amount money as you did his brother, then they are both treated equally. If he doesn’t have enough for his investment then he will just have to look elsewhere for it ,unfortunately. You see these situations time and time again on Judge Rinder , and all it causes is grief in the end .

luluaugust Thu 16-Jul-20 10:01:46

This is really not a good idea and shouldn't be confused with a mothers love for her child. You contributed towards your other son's marriage do that is a completely different thing.

Applegran Thu 16-Jul-20 10:02:04

I have helped one child who was in need and explained this to the other children and that it will all be evened up in my will. All are happy with this. But different families will have different responses - a friend wants to help on of her children but knows that the others would want exactly the same at the same time. So much depends on how the family sees things. So I'd just say to the OP that she does not HAVE to give money - its her money and her choice - and investment properties are not always a great source of income anyway. If it were for a desperately needed home for her son, I think I'd see it differently.

Smileless2012 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:02:53

Why on earth are you accusing kirkcubbin of having a favourite son and asking her if she loves one of her sons more than the other antheacarol?. Rather an unpleasant post IMO.

You've been given some good advice kirkcubbbin and I think the suggestions that you give this son the same as you gave his brother are the ones I would follow in your position, providing doing so wont impact on your own financial security.

Oldwoman70 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:09:35

I have a friend who has always helped her children with money - she pays off their credit cards, helps with mortgage payments, pays for holidays etc. This was fine when she was working and earning a good salary, now she is retired and has sold her house and moved into a small flat - her children, now in their 50s continue to expect her to give them money - one son has even given up work because "it makes me too tired". He lives, rent free, in a property she bought as an investment for her retirement.

I have told her that she has to consider what money she has now has to last her for the rest of her life - she is becoming very frail following a fall and may have to consider moving into a nursing home (her children have all said she cannot move in with them).

We don't know whether the OP's son is working and if he is planning to invest any money of his own in the project. In my experience when "lending" money to close family members it takes a long time to be paid back, if ever. I think she should think long and hard about this.

jaylucy Thu 16-Jul-20 10:15:14

No! No! No! Don't do it unless you are 100% sure that you can afford to.
I "loaned"my son some money to pay off a car loan for a van that my son had bought for his business, so he could sell the van after he had closed down his small business, He knew that I had had a small legacy after my father died.
I had a credit card bill that needed to be paid off but I thought I could afford to help him out.
Unfortunately things changed for me due to illness and I realised that I then struggled to pay the bills and still do. With that money I gave to my son, I could at least have paid several for the next year! I also ended up in debt that I am still paying off several years later!
You may well have been able to have helped out your other son at the time but things change and I would be very wary of being involved in an investment that could leave you short for your every day living expenses. Get some independent financial advice and either make sure that you are named as part of the investment so that you get a share of the rent or make sure it is on a loan basis. Make sure every single thing is in writing, even involve a solicitor. Don't fall for the emotional blackmail - your money is your money while you are living , he can do as he likes when you have gone

Baguette123 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:18:06

I have a similar situation. Youngest son borrowed and is regularly paying back money for first property. Eldest son is hoping to buy larger home and has made clear, as have his children that we should give him a large slice of a recent inheritance to help out. We have very little income as pensioners and were hoping to keep this money back for a rainy day, so to speak. Both sons will inherit when we die but eldest says he needs money now rather than wait. His attitude is very hurtful. He has a nice house already but wants more.

4allweknow Thu 16-Jul-20 10:22:14

Why did you give money to one and not the other. I have always treated my AC the same. Last year eg I gave one son a brand new item I knew he would find useful. Gave otgers son the same in monetary value. Even GC who don't live near me I often send a wee gift and always send something to both, would never give to one and not the other. If you have previously helped the DS who is looking for cash just tell him he has had his share and you won't help him without giving is brother the same and you may not be able to afford that or even want to.

CarlyD7 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:30:07

PS forgot to say in my email - a friend bought a small terraced house as a buy to let; it seemed like a bargain and it was in good decorative order, so he was surprised when he realised the work that needed doing to meet the safety standards required by law to rent out (gas safety certificate & service, new electric fuse board & safety certificate; smoke alarms, etc - total cost over £3,000), . Plus there's the ongoing costs like insurance, council tax when it's empty (they still want their money unless it's totally uninhabitable), utility bills (even when empty there are standing charges), money to a rental agency (safer but more expensive) and he'll have to pay tax on the rent, just as on any other income (minus allowed expenses). And if a tenant stops paying rent, what will he live on? And if a tenant trashes it, he'll have to pay someone to clean out the gunge and redecorate (unless he's prepared to do it all himself - losing rent whilst he does so?) Make him show you the figures - at the very least it will tell you how much research he's done and how much he's really thought about this. It really isn't "a licence to print money" - it used to be (buy to let mortgages were actually an allowable expense) but not anymore.

Flakesdayout Thu 16-Jul-20 10:30:57

Kircubbin give the same to this son as you gave to the other, if you can afford it. If not, explain why and keep your finances private.
I helped my younger son when he was buying his first house and I have the same amount set aside for the other, some of which I have given to him. He knows the remainder is there should he need it. Both sons were given housewarming gifts of the same amount and they both have the same spent on them for gifts.
Much as we want to help our children sometimes we have to let them become financially independent as adults and think of ourselves.

Liz1965 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:32:29

Refuse. Your future is priority,,,and you never know how much you’ll need or when you need it. It is your money, if there’s any left then it might be his when you’re gone but not until. An investment is not a necessity. It may well simply be about trying to be receiving the same as his brother from you, sibling rivalry, totally understandable but coming from a child rather than an adult position. Reassure him that you live him just as you do his brother and that money and help has nothing to do with it.

Seajaye Thu 16-Jul-20 10:35:28

Take some proper financial advice on your own needs to cover your immediate needs to a reasonable standard of living, allowing for nice holidays etc, and allowing for any possible care costs in foreseeable future. If you have spare cash, then
you could consider whether the same value gift as given your other son can be made, otherwise your other son may expect you to facilate a buy to let investment for him as well.

Buy to lets are no longer the sound investment they used to be, but do potentially provide capital growth and income. Avoid leasehold buy to let where there is a large service charge to pay out of rental income, and avoid properties needed repairs and maintenance. Tenants like modern energy efficient properties. Remember that tenants do not always pay rent especially if they lose their jobs. It is now unlawful to refuse benefits claimants as tenants, after yesterday's court ruling, and Universal credit may not cover all the rent .
If you can not afford to give money away now, your son(s) may simply have to wait until you die, when they will receive whatever you leave behind. Make a will if you want the the value of any previous gifts to be taken into account on distribution of your estate.

Buffy Thu 16-Jul-20 10:38:05

How many children do you have? Can you afford to treat each child equally whether they are in need or not?
If it’s an investment and not for him to live in then don’t do it unless you can do it for all your children.

tiredoldwoman Thu 16-Jul-20 10:39:07

Ive got a daughter who constantly drains me of money . She has 5 children and uses emotional blackmail to get money, always with the promise of repaying . She wastes money , wants new things all the time etc but knows that I go without . ( and sniggers about it)
Ive balanced things up financially with my younger daughter to avoid unfairness on my death .
Recently she's somehow accessed my bank account and bought rubbish on Amazon , I only found out when my bank account arrived . With the bank's help everything was closed down . I can hardly look at her , she ridicules me all the time , belittling me , she's a bully , I think . A Nick Cotton ! The other day I hid when I heard her car ( paid for with my hard earned cash ) .
I've turned cold emotionally and at the moment do not want to have contact .
So , Kirkcubbin I would maybe advise you to even up your sons then no more loans for either . When you hit a financial problem yourself , who will help you - no-one .

chris8888 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:43:36

Not a good time to buy anything so be careful. Can you afford it, can you still manage in your later years.

sandelf Thu 16-Jul-20 10:43:47

You said it yourself 'I feel I can't refuse but worry about the future'. You need to tell him that, and talk it over.

pengwen Thu 16-Jul-20 10:56:17

Loaned my brother money when he was in dire straits following his divorve.Interest and overdraft charges were enormous so tried to get him back on track.
Both him and his ex wife had been asking my mother for money for years,washing machine broken,she bought a new one,school trip for his children ,holidays etc .
Found out my father had been giving him money every month.
He now has a good job,got a large mortgage for refurbishment of his new house,with new girlfriend.
only a small amount repaid to myself and none to my mother.
My sister and myself have had money diffeculty at times ,but worked hard to overcome these.I would and have loaned children money especially to help them at diffecult times.They have returned it asap.