Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Mortgage advice

(10 Posts)
judi1144 Sun 13-Sep-20 08:30:33

I have just found out by looking at our Mortgage statement that our Mortgage has not been paid since June.
My Partner pays the mortgage out of his bank account, however the house and mortgage are in both of our names.
It turns out that he has requested and been accepted for a payment holiday which was never discussed with me. I would never had agreed to a payment break because of the extra time and interest it adds to the overall mortgage.
My point is, is it right that the bank agreed to a payment holiday with only his signature if we are both named on the mortgage? I feel I should have been part of this agreement and would like to complain to the bank but just want to get my facts right first.

tanith Sun 13-Sep-20 08:36:41

This may be a silly question but if the mortgage is paid from your partners acc are the bank actually aware the mortgage is held jointly? If your mortgage is also with the same bank ignore me lol.

Esspee Sun 13-Sep-20 08:36:41

I can’t help with the legal position on this, but like you OP I would be incandescent withe the bank but most especially with my OH.
Does he have form for doing things that affect you and keeping you in the dark?
Frankly I would be reconsidering the relationship.

NotAGran55 Sun 13-Sep-20 08:43:00

In the first instance I would ask your partner to show you a copy of the application that was made for the mortgage holiday . This could provide the answers you are looking for ...

mumofmadboys Sun 13-Sep-20 09:00:35

I would discuss with your OH and reinstate payments as soon as possible. Was it harder to find the payments during lockdown? Perhaps your OH didnt want to worry you? Hope you can sort it out amicably.

judi1144 Sun 13-Sep-20 09:11:49

The bank are fully aware that it is held jointly. I am just concerned that my signature might have been forged. ?

EllanVannin Sun 13-Sep-20 09:31:32

Where both names are on a mortgage they're independent of needing a signature of either so only one need sign.

NotAGran55 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:11:32

judi1144

The bank are fully aware that it is held jointly. I am just concerned that my signature might have been forged. ?

That is why I suggested that you see sight of the application form , either from your partner or the bank .
The application will show you the facts that you need to establish what has happened.
Perhaps the application only required one signature? Maybe not ?

NotSpaghetti Sun 13-Sep-20 10:21:28

Is it a joint mortgage as in jointly and severely?
If so, one signature is sufficient.

hazel93 Sun 13-Sep-20 10:30:21

Exactly NS - as in any joint account only one signature required.