Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Yet another scam warning

(6 Posts)
Craftycat Sun 01-Nov-20 10:27:09

Last night- just as I was settling down to watch Strictly -I had 2 pings on my phone. I had messages to say my card had been used for 2 transactions & I would be unable to use my debit card until it had been sorted out & 2 phone nos. to call them on.
I bank with First Direct & I know they do not start messages with Hello & neither of the phone nos. were were FD either.
I rang FD & they confirmed that they were not from them & were scams but they looked very plausible.
It would have been easy at a time when I was settled & tired after a long day to have fallen for it ( mind you having worked in Finance I very much doubt I would) but some people could & probably did last night.
Just a word of warning if you ever get anything like this do not ring the number they give you but your own bank no.

gt66 Sun 01-Nov-20 10:40:57

Thanks for the warning Craftycat

I had something similar happen to me last week. Two texts, supposedly from 02 to say the payment for my phone hadn't gone through, my account was frozen and to click on the link provided to sort it out. I was immediately suspicious and wondered how they got my number!

EllanVannin Sun 01-Nov-20 10:51:14

Sickening isn't it ?
Theft, extortion the most hateful of crimes.

I must say though after having been with the same bank since 1960 they know my spending habits-----to a fault really, until I bought a large item from B&Q and the payment was blocked grin I then had to phone the bank to verify who I was, using a code. Embarrassing but all in a good cause.

henetha Sun 01-Nov-20 10:52:40

Thanks for the warning. I had a phone call yesterday telling me that I am about to be arrested for tax fraud. Crikey.
It's very unsettling even though I know it's a scam.

Jane10 Sun 01-Nov-20 11:00:27

However, I had a text last week thanking me for buying insurance with a certain company. Needless to say I had not. Phone calls later confirmed it was a wrong number. Hmmm. The two days later a text from a finance company saying my direct debit had been set up. I checked my bank account and it had no record of this thank goodness. However I tried to phone the finance company but just met with computerised nonsense wanting me to enter my arrangement number which, of course, I didn't have. Finally in desperation I phoned as though I was wanting a loan, eventually was put through to a nice Irish lady who checked their database and could confirm that no loan had been taken out and the original applicant must have entered a wrong number. What a stress though. Modern life!

felice Sun 01-Nov-20 11:35:24

I had 'Microsoft' at 9.00am this morning and yesterday morning, I gave a huge sigh and said "not again".
He hung up, result.