Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Jury Service......again

(12 Posts)
Daddima Tue 03-Nov-20 10:46:03

Somebody is determined to get me to do this. A couple of years ago I received a citation, and was excused on health grounds. I sent a letter from my GP and received a rather snippy letter back, saying they would be perfectly entitled to call me again in two years’ time. They have done just that.

I have been called about six times, once when my son was newly born, then five years later when he was starting school, then five years after that, when I had to serve. I’ve been called twice more, and served both times.
It seems the process will be conducted by video links, there will be social distancing, and packed lunch, masks, and hand sanitiser will be provided. Only essential travel on public transport is permitted here in Scotland, but I assume this would count as essential.
I’m all for doing my civic duty, but there is no way I’m fit to do this. There’s every chance we’ll be fully locked down soon anyway.

Lollin Tue 03-Nov-20 11:03:55

You have my sympathies! There are many out there who would be interested in serving as they think it would be interesting to see how it works. I've served when it was an awkward time I know someone who had to stop breastfeeding their baby to serve. You do seem very unfortunate!

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 03-Nov-20 11:09:15

If you feel that you are unfit then I’m sure another Doctors letter will suffice.

If you are long term unwell maybe there is someone you could contact to get you taken off of the ‘list’.

So many people try to get out of it, they must be scratching around trying get people to go in.

I’ve done it twice so I understand where you are coming from.

Charleygirl5 Tue 03-Nov-20 12:12:06

I have never been called and I believe I am now too old.

Oopsminty Tue 03-Nov-20 12:18:31

I've done it once and loved it

I'd be more than happy to be called again

But I think you've done your time, Daddima!

If you're unwell, you're unwell.

That should be enough for them

Grandma70s Tue 03-Nov-20 12:21:22

I’ve always dreaded it, but have never been asked to do it, and at 80 I am too old. Neither of my parents were called, one son has done it. Perhaps we have just been lucky.

Maggiemaybe Tue 03-Nov-20 12:33:32

I’ve always wanted to do jury service, but never been asked to. My dad on the other hand was called on three times. He was a miner, what was then classed as a reserved occupation, so never did it.

It seems wrong that someone who’s served on a jury three times should be called on again, particularly in your circumstances, Daddima.

silverlining48 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:41:28

The cut off has been increased to 75 recently. I served once once when heavily pregnant years ago and was called again mid Covid lockdown which I worried about due to need to travel into London. I wrote and they excused me and am hoping not to hear from them again as there’s still a couple of years til I hit 75.

I think you have done your bit Daddima and would write to excuse yourself using age, health or the fact you have done it so often. Seems very unfortunate to get picked more than once when so many have never been called.

Oldbat1 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:46:05

My husband has done it twice and my daughter did it not long after her 18th birthday. She was excited to do it but alas it was a very harrowing rape case. Luckily I’ve never been called.

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 13:51:36

I also always wanted to be called but never was. Mind you if it were for a fraud type financial crime I’d be no use as I don’t understand money.....

BlueBelle Tue 03-Nov-20 13:52:55

I ve always dreaded it and thankfully have never been called and now 75 so should have escaped no one in the family has ever done jury service except my son in NZ he did just the once a long time ago I guess they haven’t gi5that many people to call on he’s the only one

dragonfly46 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:54:40

I have been called and unfortunately I have been excused on medical grounds. I would have loved to do it.