Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Unidentified Bank credits

(38 Posts)
Auntieflo Thu 05-Nov-20 11:48:37

Has anyone else ever received unidentified bank credits to their account?

I have now received two.
Both paid in on the same day of the month.
When the first one appeared, I visited the bank, HSBC, and told them what had happened. They said there was nothing they could do.
Today I have received another credit, smaller than the first, so I wrote a letter to the Bank, but again I have been advised that the credit cannot be traced, and there is nothing they can do.
My letter was not accepted.
The amounts are small, but I do not like the thought of unidentified money being transferred to me.

It is not a pension credit, or interest on an account. Neither have I signed up to any Cash Back schemes.

Any one with any bright ideas?
Thanks

Nannarose Tue 08-Dec-20 14:42:48

I would open up a new current account with a new provider. I recommend the Co-op and Nationwide. Move everything over to them - that way you can leave these unidentified amounts going in to HSBC. If someone is trying to access your account, they will get no joy; if they have made a mistake, the money is there for them. And HSBC don't deserve your custom.
I did wonder if someone repaying a neighbour for some 'lockdown shopping' has made a mistake.

welbeck Tue 08-Dec-20 16:10:25

martin lewis, the money saving expert, is usually on radio 5 live on mondays from 12 noon, and takes calls.
perhaps you could try to ring in or message the show.

Liz46 Tue 08-Dec-20 16:17:36

Do you have an account anywhere that pays monthly interest into your bank account? I had a couple of credits and I wondered what they were and then I was checking through my savings one day and realised that I have NS&I Income Bonds and they put the interest into my bank account, the description showing strange letters and numbers.

petra Tue 08-Dec-20 16:20:45

I don't think they've changed. I think they've found ways to not get caught.
www.icij.org/investigations/fincen-files/hsbc-moved-vast-sums-of-dirty-money-after-paying-record-laundering-fine/

Auntieflo Tue 08-Dec-20 19:35:36

Liz46, you qualify for the GN star of the day. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thank you so much.
I took out an NSandI bond a few months ago, so I have just looked on my account, and lo and behold, there were the exact figures, with corresponding dates.
It never occurred to me that that is what it could have been, as I had assumed that any interest would be re- invested blush

So go to the top of the class, as you have solved what the bank couldn't or wouldn't.
I am very grateful, but not rich enough to go somewhere warm and safe, yet.

Ashcombe Tue 08-Dec-20 19:45:14

So glad to hear of this happy outcome, Auntieflo!
Well done to Liz46 for solving the mystery. ???

Callistemon Tue 08-Dec-20 21:39:56

Auntieflo I'm glad you have found the source.

Years ago I took a building society book to be updated after a couple of years and was surprised to see several credits from the then Midland Bank.
After a lot of detective work, I realised that we'd received free shares from another building society, the dividends from which were paid into our BS account via their Midland bank account.

Callistemon Tue 08-Dec-20 21:41:21

Ps ours wasn't much either!

Nannarose Tue 08-Dec-20 21:43:17

Thanks for letting us know!

Bixiboo Wed 09-Dec-20 22:50:59

So pleased you’ve solved the mystery Auntieflo, now you can go on a spending spree!! Well done Liz46.

jocork Mon 22-Mar-21 14:35:09

I only retired last year so the Christmas bonus took me by surprise this year. I had a letter informing me that the winter fuel payment would be arriving but then after that the mysterious £10 appeared. It took me quite a while to work out what it was - fortunately before I'd wasted time contacting the bank!

Previously my biggest mystery was noticing that my broadband provider had stopped taking my direct debit payment. It turned out that my provider had discontinued the plan I was on but as it had been in my ex H's name he received the email notification despite me asking for the account to be put in my name. When I didn't reply and set up a new account on the new much more expensive tariff they canclled my contract. The email informing me also went to exH. However they didn't cut me off so if I didn't check my bank statements carefully I'd never have noticed. When I eventually phoned them they explained the new deal and I told them I didn't want it. I ended up using their broadband for free for many months until I eventually moved my account elsewhere. I probably could have carried on with their 'free' service long term but I worried if it went wrong I'd be without broadband until I set up with someone else so didn't want to risk it. I'm sure lots of people don't check their accounts carefully so don't notice small discrepancies, but having been raised by an accountant I need mine to balance to the last penny!

Well done Liz46!

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 22-Mar-21 14:40:49

I had a similar thing with my account. Every couple of months a similar amount appeared. Turned out to be some savings I had forgotten about which paid interest!