Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Is 'housekeeping' classed as income?

(114 Posts)
hope2021 Mon 01-Mar-21 21:21:29

just that really.

For the last 30 years I have been a stay at home mum. I have not earned a wage or paid an NI stamp. I totally realise I will not get a state pension. I am 66 soon. I repeat, I will not be trying to claim a pension

My partner took care of everything and gave me a housekeeping amount of money to run the house, and when our children started work, they contributed too, and still do. They will look after me always.

I realise now that a lot of people would look on this with shock and horror for not having a job, but that's the way it was in those days - Mum stayed at home, Dad went to work and then the children take care of us.

but back to my question, would this be classed as income by HMRC? as they have made the enquiry as to what I've been living on these last 30 years.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 21:28:39

Firstly in case anyone is still unaware of policy here on the validity of threads, the ask you to report them, rather than openly say on the forum.

Secondly, why on earth do some people find it so mind blowing that different people live different lifestyles?

Marydoll Wed 03-Mar-21 21:51:37

Not a lovely post at all. The OP said she is ill, the last thing she needs is judgemental comments about her lifestyle. ?

welbeck Wed 03-Mar-21 23:11:19

maybe people's reading and comprehension skills are getting a bit rusty. we were always doing comprehension at school.
OP asked a simple limited question. and it has been answered.
she specifically said she is not intending to claim a state pension.
yet numerous posters have come on to tell her what she should/not have done in her personal life 30 years ago, and why she ought not to expect a pension, or how she might try to claim one.
such a lot of assumptions. mostly erroneous i guess.
all the best OP.

Katie59 Thu 04-Mar-21 07:29:57

There is a big range of lifestyles and a significant number of us don’t have a long career, a stay at home to look after the house and family. If there is enough money they are happy to do that and it is not for us or anyone else to comment wether that is good or bad. If you have a career, most of your cash goes on the house and family anyway so it is important that you do have some independant savings, other than a workplace pension .

Family caring for their own old folks is not unusual, particularly where family businesses or a lot of property are involved, the family provide a “granny flat” and pay private carers and social services helping where needed, it doesn’t work in all cases but it costs a fraction of care home fees.

My own choice is that my children are not going to be involved in my care, I hope I fall off my perch quickly and they get whatever I have left, my mum did just that. If I do need full time care the value of a typical house doesn’t last long, so SS are going to be paying mostly.

Maggiemaybe Thu 04-Mar-21 08:49:57

All best wishes to you, OP, and I sincerely hope that you have more happy years ahead of you than have been forecast. thanks

Magrithea Thu 04-Mar-21 10:51:25

hope2021 I thought Gagajo's comment was out of order! I too was mostly a 'stay at home' mum and was fortunate that I didn't have to work. What many people forget is that rearing a family is an important task, as how you do it shapes the people your children will become! We are a much undervalued and looked down on resource!

Callistemon Thu 04-Mar-21 11:52:58

Maggiemaybe

All best wishes to you, OP, and I sincerely hope that you have more happy years ahead of you than have been forecast. thanks

What a lovely post, Maggiemaybe

I echo those thoughts and I can relate to them too.

When I suggested asking for a pension forecast, which I know you said you were not going to claim, hope2021, it was with those thoughts in mind.
flowers

M0nica Thu 04-Mar-21 23:10:39

I would like to highlight Lillyflower's on boosting your state pension by paying NI class 3 voluntary contributions .

I was made redundant into early retirement in my mid-50s and I paid these stamps for 6 years. Doing so made a significant difference to the size of my state pension. I did it in the late 90s/early 00s and the £2.00 a week I paid was a small sum, even then. I do not know what the current rate is.

Dinahmo Thu 04-Mar-21 23:29:07

Katie59

Is housekeeping income ?.

If you are not married and you are being given more than your personal allowance (£10K or so) in theory it would be taxable, because your partner might be seen as paying for a service.

This is the situation I am in I get a monthly allowance part goes on housekeeping rest remains in my account.

If your allowance is paid out of taxed income it is not taxable.

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Mar-21 08:46:59

M0nica

I would like to highlight Lillyflower's on boosting your state pension by paying NI class 3 voluntary contributions .

I was made redundant into early retirement in my mid-50s and I paid these stamps for 6 years. Doing so made a significant difference to the size of my state pension. I did it in the late 90s/early 00s and the £2.00 a week I paid was a small sum, even then. I do not know what the current rate is.

They’re £15.30, so not affordable for many.

I’d urge anyone under state pension age and caring for grandchildren to look into Specified Adult Childcare Credits. If you’re eligible, Class 3 credits are awarded for every week you care for grandchildren, even if only for one day. These can be backdated for several years, so it’s definitely worth applying.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-credits-for-adults-who-care-for-a-child-under-12-fact-sheet/specified-adult-childcare-credits-fact-sheet

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 11:40:50

Good grief, they have gone up, I thought they might now be £6-8, but at over £15!

Mind you I did consider them to be ludicrously low when I was paying them.

Franbern Tue 09-Mar-21 16:58:00

Do wonder what makes you say you have just 'two years left'. My ex-husband kept repeating that he would die early due to side effects of MS. On his 65th birthday, I did point out that even if he died that day, whereas sad, it could hardly really be listed as an very early death. That was 14 years ago, and he is still going strong!!!

If there is only a small state pension due to the 16 years this person was in employment, then they can claim Pension Credit to bring the amount up to the standard State Pension amount.

I am one of those horrified that she states that her adult children will 'look after' her. Surely, she does not want nor expect this. As they were obviously only born in the 90's they are quite young, and are likely to have, or will shortly have, their own young families to care for.

All she has to tell HMRC is that she was a full-time Homemaker in the years they are asking about,.

M0nica Tue 09-Mar-21 18:37:08

Franbern I think it was made clear taat the OP has a terminal illness, so her children will only have a year or two at best to look after her.