Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Moving into private rental?

(35 Posts)
Ailidh Sun 01-Aug-21 17:20:34

I feel a bit of a dolt asking but it's 45 years since I last rented privately, and I don't know how to go about it.

Short info burst: Oops, it wasn't short. Sorry,
Bought a house when I left uni, and subsequent houses as I moved jobs.
Finally became a vicar, which means living in the tied house, and not earning enough to save up for a property.

Reitred early on mental health grounds in 2015. The C of E scheme at the time was that retiring clergy could find a property up to a certain value, C of E would buy it and rent it back to them.

I'm in a perfectly pleasant little bungalow - but I want to move to the coast. There's only me and two dogs to please, and I've decided I want this adventure: if I hate it, I hate it but better that than be regretful.

I've contacted C of E but they have no properties there (I want to move to Fleetwood on the Fylde/Wyre Coast). They've also made it clear that even if they had, priority would be given to those approaching retirement, rather than me who just wants a change. That's perfectly fair.

I don't really understand social housing but as far as I can tell, it's for people who already live in or have links to the area. That's perfectly fair.

Although in both cases I could write a good supporting argument for my mental health needs and the speed with which I had to make decisions 6+ years ago.

So it looks like private renting is the way to go.

I've been scouring zoopla et al but agents don't seem keen on sending out detailed particulars, they want people to phone in to make viewing appointments Now. I've explained that at the minute what I'm trying to do is to see what my budget will get me but they're not keen to invest a huge amount of time in someone who's not ready to move yet.
I guess that's fair enough too but I find myself stuck, until I can get over for a couple of days and visit agents in person.

So my questions are: Is there a Renting For Dummies book? How do I get an idea for the responsibilities and rights of tenants? What sort of questions do I need to be asking landlords or agents to make sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting?

I'm giving myself a week there in the New Year, self catering in a holiday apartment. It may well be that seeing it in driving rain and 6 hours of daylight may make me re-evaluate but if it doesn't - well, any useful How To tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Shandy57 Mon 02-Aug-21 12:50:50

Good luck Ailidh.

My BIL, who was estranged from my late husband for a reason my husband never knew sadly, did get in contact when he died and we 'friended' each other on Facebook but he never contacts me. He is a vicar, married with a child, and living in church accommodation, retiring in a few years.

I went onto his page to message him with my new address recently and I don't think he knows how to use Facebook or how public it is. He'd actually replied to a friend's comment on his page that 'he can't wait for the inlaws to pop their clogs' so they can buy a house. Sad after a lifetime of commitment he feels so anxious about housing in his retirement he makes a dreadful comment like this.

GillT57 Mon 02-Aug-21 13:35:43

I agree with those who say hang on to your secure tenancy, you don't want to find yourself having to move because the owner is selling, for example. Maybe try an online swap? There must be other people in your position who perhaps need to move to be nearer family or something, it would keep you with the same landlord. Good luck!

Esspee Mon 02-Aug-21 16:37:54

Landlords who allow pets are in the minority. Some are constrained by the terms of their mortgages, others know the cost of allowing animals in their property. In addition a landlord may require to sell the property at any time.
For these reasons I feel you would be wise to hold onto the security you have at the moment.

welbeck Mon 02-Aug-21 17:02:52

think carefully, and research deeply.
if you took a private rental and were then evicted, you may find that any social housing would be either temporary hostel style, or a dump in a dire district. and if you decline the offer, the council has discharged its duty, and you are on your own again.

Ailidh Tue 03-Aug-21 06:33:07

Shandy57- oh what a shame. The CofE Pensions Board absolutely will house all retiring clergy, either in a rental like me or, if they have more income than I did, in shared ownership. It's not compulsory but it is definitely available.

Alizarin Tue 03-Aug-21 08:12:06

I can't advise but can say that 15 years ago, after my divorce, I decided to rent, sold my cottage and gave my children their inheritance. I have lived in many different types of flats/houses in various parts of the country and have loved it. I like not having the responsibility of replacing boilers or roof tiles. I haven't had any difficult landlords nor been asked to move on. I found I could trust my instinct when it came to choosing a place to live in. (Except for the time I decided sheltered housing would be wise, and I hated it - too restrictive.) I am an adventurer though, so maybe that comes into it. I'm 68, by the way. All the best on your quest, and don't forget to pray about it all!

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 03-Aug-21 09:02:58

Please think twice, there are so many Landlords who won’t accept tenants on Benefits, also who won’t accept 1 pet, let alone 2.
DD has had 3 rentals, 2 of them were sold and when her leases came up for renewal she had to leave, the house she is in at the moment, thankfully, accepted her little dog, but the owner lives abroad and at any time could decide he wants to come home.
I dread to think what kind of social housing she would be offered where we live, if indeed she was eligible.
If you had to move and your rental ended and you had to leave your preferred area, where would you have to move to if it was local authority housing ? Probably not by the sea where you wanted to be.
If you didn’t have pets and could afford the deposits and moving costs ( setting up your Broadband isn’t free) I would say go for it, it’s costly to keep moving, but you could go wherever you pleased, but with dogs it isn’t so easy.
Good luck though

Sago Tue 03-Aug-21 10:37:13

There are are number of housing associations on the Fylde, here is just one link, I suggest you write to all of them.

www.google.co.uk/url?
sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjW3M6PxpTyAhXKPsAKHf-3AAIQFjAJegQIIhAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myhomechoicefyldecoast.co.uk%2F%3FUseFullSite%3D1&usg=AOvVaw0tjVYVgSbW19YapouDTc3e

Sago Tue 03-Aug-21 10:38:31

Sorry above link failed..try this one.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjW3M6PxpTyAhXKPsAKHf-3AAIQFjAIegQIBRAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnew.fylde.gov.uk%2Fresident%2Fhousing%2Faffordable-housing%2F&usg=AOvVaw233NPW1h9xYSYEZENF7NLT